How Long Does Marijuana Stay Potent?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by MarquisGemini, Nov 25, 2011.

1. After drying properly, then curing, how long can you store it for without it losing potency or becoming a harsh smoke?

I'll have it comfortably placed in an airtight jar inside a light tight container.

Any opinions welcome also.

2. These are old, but answer your question!

The stability of cannabis and its preparations on storage. (abst – 1976)
    The stability of cannabis and its preparat... [J Pharm Pharmacol. 1976] - PubMed - NCBI

Stability of Cannabis sativa L. samples and their extracts, on prolonged storage in Delhi. (full – 1978) Lycaeum > Leda > Stability of Cannabis sativa L. samples and their extracts, on prolonged storage in Delhi

The longest storage/ analysis I can find-

Phytochemical and genetic analyses of ancient cannabis from Central Asia\t
    (full - 2008) Phytochemical and genetic analyses of ancient cannabis from Central Asia

Granny

3. 6 months to a year until marijuana begins to degrade in quality. That's a fact. Assuming you keep it in a jar in a cold dark place you're golden. But seriously brotha....

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

4. Thank you so much guys. I am currently reading those sites you put up mate, the "old" ones.

Washed, thanks mate :) Unfortunately, I already tried the search option. I used google too, and there seemed to be so many differing opinions but Grasscity always gets it right.

5. FYI - To anyone who stumbles across this thread, something cool from the links the dude earlier shared. 2700 year old weed.

"The Yanghai Tombs near Turpan, Xinjiang-Uighur Autonomous Region, China have recently been excavated to reveal the 2700-year-old grave of a Caucasoid shaman whose accoutrements included a large cache of cannabis, superbly preserved by climatic and burial conditions. A multidisciplinary international team demonstrated through botanical examination, phytochemical investigation, and genetic deoxyribonucleic acid analysis by polymerase chain reaction that this material contained tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive component of cannabis, its oxidative degradation product, cannabinol, other metabolites, and its synthetic enzyme, tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase, as well as a novel genetic variant with two single nucleotide polymorphisms. The cannabis was presumably employed by this culture as a medicinal or psychoactive agent, or an aid to divination. To our knowledge, these investigations provide the oldest documentation of cannabis as a pharmacologically active agent, and contribute to the medical and archaeological record of this pre-Silk Road culture. "

6. Where can I store my weed so it doesn't get old and lose potency so quickly? If I'm storing about an eighth ounce for a month total, where and how should I store it?

7. [quote name='"SmokeTheBud"']Where can I store my weed so it doesn't get old and lose potency so quickly? If I'm storing about an eighth ounce for a month total, where and how should I store it?[/quote]

Any glass or mason jar will be fine. I buy an O each month and keep it in a mason jar, the qaulity is still amazing as I finish it off.