How long does it take for the grass smell to go away?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Oompa514, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Hey everyone,

I’m on day 2-3 of hang drying. I have the tent at 75 degrees and 55% RH. I noticed a grassy smell from the buds is this normal since they are drying and loosing chlorophyl. Will it regain smell during curing. Any help, advice or tips are appreciated.

P.S 1st grow,

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 PAOLO1981, Feb 4, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    Ok … They look nice.
    I ALWAYS dry trim mate - & let me tell you why ....
    It slows down the drying process (slower the better)!
    As it dries, the sugar leaves wrap around the buds and protects them from the outside environment - All the terpenes etc.... (these give the smell taste)…..stay perfectly in tact. Just like in nature.
    Then after 5 - 7 days, i dry trim.. The smell of hay is always minimal compared to when i used to wet trim.
    The hay smell (your right, it's the chlorophyll) will go away over time, once you jar up! May take a little while though.....I would suggest dry trimming on your next grow and just hang the whole plant!!!! (possibly only removing larger fan leaves)
    This will BOOST the smell and taste of your crop immediately, as well as slowing the drying process!
    Speaking from personal experience here pal.
    Good luck mate

• Like Like x 5
  3. I agree with the above.
    Welcome to the art of slow dry and curing. You will have the best weed you ever smoked if you get it right.
    The goal is to get evenly moist bud throughout. You have to pull moisture from the centers to the outsides to evaporate.

Your buds are ready for the cure stage when the buds feel dry but have some "spring" left in them (when you lightly squeeze them) and the large stems crack when bent roughly 45degrees. That's when I put them in Turkey bags (check occasionally) to cure. Afterwards I store them in airtight containers.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Finished my first grow and the biggest issue i had was the dry and cure (was a total ballache).

I Will be hanging the plants whole and dry trimming this time. If I dry trim will this have any effect on my trim? Will it still be up too scratch? I imagine it could actually be better.

Turkey bags? (I'm in the UK so not sure what you mean, we may not have them). I went straight to jars. Any reason for the bags first?

Thanks for the help guys I'm going to try all the above on the next harvest :)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. I prefer to dry trim. If you have a lot of weed to harvest and nobody to help, it may be your only choice lol. It can be a bit more tedious than wet trimming, but I feel it preseves more smell. When hung upside down the leaves will cradle the buds/trichomes and protect them for becoming deformed. Just be gentle dry trimming so you don't knock off excessive glands. Always do it over a screen to collect the kief.
    Advantages of Turkey bags aka Oven bags:
    - won't impart smell or taste
    - slightly breathable, making it more forgiving than glass with slightly moist buds
    - large size, makes rotating buds by fluffing the bags super easy. Larger volume of product keeps a more stable environment. I can burp one bag or 10+jars....easy choice for me

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. When do you introduce a humidity pack during the cure?

7. End of second week.

I normally cure for 4 - 6 weeks.
    Burp twice a day for about a minute or two first week. Morning and evening.

Once a day for the second week. Again for a few minutes (roll the jar onto it's side and allow buds to move about, restoring the air in the jars)....be gentle don't want to knock off all the goodness ;)

Start of the 3rd week onwards I burp maybe twice a WEEK by the end of fourth week I stop burping all together. *As long as no hay/grass smells and all smells like weed.

I aim to leave sealed without burping for week 5 and 6. (To be honest I've never made it that far...end of week 4 I'm usually blazing up )

As i said already, I tend to add boveda packs around end of second week beginning of 3rd (that is of course if I managed a 5 - 7 day dry).

If for some reason I over dry they go in much earlier (after I've restored moisture using a tortilla lining the jar for a few days lol) I then add them 2 - 3 days after tortillas removed...day 5 - 6 onwards

Best bet throw in some cheap Chinese hygrometers. Once they are within 5% range of 62% throw in the bovedas.

Apologies for rambling started typing then the weed kicked in

Good luck! And happy growing!

8. Thanks for responding man. Helps out a lot.
    Yeah I just jarred them today. 5 days of drying and the stems snapped. Probably cause I didn't water for 3-4 days then chop and wet trim. When would I know if I over dried and need to add a Bovada? They seem pretty dry now but they are nice and sticky.

9. #9 KGB Kermit, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    No worries , cannaculture is a wonderful thing lol. Sounds like you're all good to be honest. Follow the above I would add the bovedas middle to end of week 2 if you're not sure.

If you give the weed a gentle squeeze and it bounces back (feels springy, if that makes sense lol) Then you're pretty much in the optimum range. Don't fret too much the jars/cure should bring your green into the right humidity range (burp indoors).

Not sure if you're UK or US based but maybe consider some cheap Chinese hygrometers, just drop them in and you're good to go (they are about + - 3% out on average but for £2/$3.50 each you can't complain. Google - digital hygrometer round.

If money is no issue and you maybe enjoy small projects. You can make you're own hortilids for about £8/$11 each. Worth the investment at some point as makes life soooo much easier. Google - hortilids (I say a project for you becuase whilst they are genius, I think you can make them better)

Again I'm chatting too much sh#@. Best of luck buddy and enjoy :)

10. You need to make sure your bud has dried out properly for 3-7 days depending on the density of your buds it could take up for 14 days to dry out nicely.

I'd go with 7 days to be safe, it you over dry it's better than under drying as you'll get mold.

To get rid of that grass smell you need to cure the buds in an airtight jar and burp the jars (open the lid) for 10 minutes every day about 4 times a day the first week and rhen about once a day or one every two days in the second week, this will bring out the true smell of your bud, I've done this myself mate so I know it works. If you grown the weed right and flushed nice you'll get the aromas coming through very soon, my smelled lovely in tent, when I pulled it smelt like grass, when I cured like above. I got a nice citrus and skunky aroma back and it was fucking sensational my friend. Good luck and enjoy your smoke

• Like Like x 2