How long do you think it will take to legalize?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by treelover, Aug 14, 2010.

1. this is a popular topic among my friends and im generally curious in ur opinions GC. how long do u think it will take for weed to be legal nationwide? do u think it will ever happen? do you think only medical should be legal? ect whatever. I live in mass and its decriminalized here but the cops are stil jerks about it to the teenagers here. theyre usually looking for other drugs but some will stll hassle u for weed. Im not very hopeful i wish it would happen. I use weed for medical reasons bc ive stuggled with an eating disorder for a long time but i dont see legalization happening anytime soon. maybe i dont know enough ? what are ur opinions? i made this a dif thread btw to be separate from the threads about prop 19 in CA. this is about nationwide legalization and whether or not you think it will really happen and how long you think itll take.

2. sry i didnt realize i prob shouldnt have put this in politics bc i was searching and didnt see the section for this

3. when someone who doesn't smoke becomes the voice for the movement. as long as law breakers and weed smokers are leading the way and no one takes them seriously. someone who didn't even partake in marijuana would be perfect because they aren't breaking laws and they're not high and trying to convince you to legalize it.

4. There are a lot of people like this who are voices for the movement. To name a few:

Gary Johnson, Judge Jim Gray, Ron Paul, Barney Frank, etc.

@OP: I don't think it will be legalized on a federal level any time in the next 10 years. Beyond that, I don't feel comfortable trying to predict federal law.

5. those dudes prolly all blaze. haha.

6. sorry ive just become very disheartened and was hoping someone could offer up soe hope inspiring insight

7. it is seeming increasingly likely that california will legalize it, or at least decriminalize it this year.

8. Yea, I consider myself a pessimist, especially on this issue, since I know the history of cannabis prohibition and how hard it is to get governments to give up their power.

9. and with the fact that people can just grow their own bud illegally would make things crazy.

10. its decriminalized in my state and it still kinda sucks its not the same as legalization i guess its a step but if u have more then an oz ur in shit. paraphernalia for some reason i think is a felony..makes no sense but w.e and u get like a 100 dollar fine. doesnt make me feel less sketched out and why the hell should i feel sketched out for smoking when theres nothign wrong with it>?

11. see i could go for that. i live in a medi state and the rules just got a lot looser, so IMA get a scrip. but i could deal with a fine and on my way, it sucks in the whole liberty department, but on that level so do parking tickets.

seems like such a better plan than arresting people and incarcerating simple possession charges.....oh wait what about all those poor Gov't contractors and their lobbyists that run the US prison system. how would those companies present a good stock projection to their constituents....i mean investors, if they didn't have those building full, full, full with innocent people.

EMPTY PRISONS ARE BAD FOR THE ECONOMY

12. "medical" is just another term or implication for the first step towards legalization. i think it's going to happen, it's just a matter of time. :smoke:

13. I don't think drugs will be made legal on the federal level for a long time.

I think the closest we can come in the near future is to give the states back their rights and their power, and allow the people to decide what policy their state has on the issue. This suits both sides of the card because in areas where the majority does not want legalization they would not have to do so. In places where people DO want legalization they can take it upon themselves to get it done.

I got respect for the people in california, because they are using their state power in ways that the other states aren't. its almost impossible for a single person to organize well enough to take the issue to a federal level.

State level law changes are much more accesible, and thats the main reaosn our country was designed to give the state the most power.

My answer to the question of when will it be legal?

When the people/states get balls and force their government to remember that THEY have the power. Not the other way around.

14. im for states right on this. but it would b nice ..what if every state legalizes but federal doesnt what happens then?

15. its called a constitutional crisis....and they usually lead to civil wars.

16. i was gonna say civil war but i thought that sounded extreme. can you imagine tho if that happened and kids read in text books about the second American civil war and people splitting the country and half of the country it would be legal and shit. sry i have a rampant imagination

17. i am, admittedly, a bit of a loose screw. but, i'd even welcome a second civil war.....if it had any chance of leading to liberty.

18. Spoken like a true libertarian.

Now; I want weed to be legal nationwide for the legal adult age in each state respectively.

Which means if in Florida the legal adult age is 18, weed should be legal for that age and up.
    Now, I'm not against mature-for-their age 14 year olds using cannabis, but society will never progress to the level of letting everyone do their own thing.

I think it will take a 5+ years for it to be legal on a federal level.

I think for the majority of states to have it legal recreationally, 3-4 years.