Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long do you hold it in?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Pyron, Sep 5, 2012.

1. The person who introduced me to weed who was a seasoned smokers of many many years, even decades told me that each hit should be held in for as long as possible (he described it as around 20-30 seconds), and yet I found out that almost all of the THC is absorbed within a much smaller amount of the time. So how long is really about the best for absorption?

Guess my friend hasn't bothered to update himself on weed since he started back in the early 70's lol

2. 3 sec. The thc is immediately absorbed, so anything longer means nothing.

3. Any more then 5 and you are just cutting off your oxygen supply.

4. Usually 3-7 seconds should do it

5. Yeah, I usually hold it in for about 3-5 seconds.

6. This. You also end up with more tar unnecessarily deposited, which probably doesn't help with THC absolution.

7. #7 mrblunt83, Sep 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
    thats an OG right there...i hold it in as long as i can! those are some words of wisdom my man. if ur holding it in for less then 10 sec ur just wasting weed/smoke.imo.to each their own. around here we call any hits less than 10 sec "bitch hits" lol.

8. 3-5 seconds. Like people said above anymore is just pointless..

9. I don't breathe it in/out really fast - but I don't hold it in.
    Breathe in, bit of air to chase it, then slowly out.
    Works for me.
    I guess I might get higher otherwise, but I just don't care enough.
    I have a foreskin.

10. Yep, like the other blades, any more than 3-5 seconds and I feel like I'm hurting myself. :bongin:

11. usually 3-5 seconds, it depends on the hit size. I'm fairly new to smoking so sometimes I can only hold a large hit for maybe 2 or 3.

On another note, sometimes when I take a huge hit and exhale after 5 seconds theres like no smoke. What's going on here?

12. There is really no need to hold the hit in for more then 5 seconds.

@Caldwell
    That is what most people call "Ghosting". Its when you hold the hit in for so long your body absorbes the smoke and when you blow out its clear, hence the term ghost. There are more scientific ways to explain but I got high

13. Don't really think about it I guess. A few seconds?

Depends how big a hit too, if it's a bigger hit I'll keep it in longer just cause it makes me look like a dragon when I exhale.

14. 3-7 seconds is a good range to stay in

15. The first few times i smoked i held it in for like 10-15 seconds. Then a couple weeks after i started i read that THC is absorbed immediately so i started exhaling right after taking my mouth off the bong. But not holding it at all didn't feel right so now i ussually hold it about 3 seconds or maybe if i'm with friends i'll hold it in for like 10. just because one of my guys is convinced that anything under 10 is a waste. lol :rolleyes: