Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long do you hold in your smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by kretschy, Nov 10, 2010.

1. How long do you hold in your smoke? Just wondering, I've heard people say it's bad for you to hold it in longer than three seconds, you get higher the longer you hold it in, and etc?

2. 3 seconds
    Pretty sure all of the THC in the smoke is absorbed by your lungs and transferred into your blood in about 3 seconds within contact with your lungs.

3. About 5 seconds. Sometimes a little longer to lessen the amount of smoke I exhale (smoke inside w/ a sploof and can't have my room smelling), but any longer than around 5 seconds does more harm than it helps. You absorb most of the thc within that time. Any longer and you're just getting a lot of tar rather than the goods.

4. When i'm smoking kief, shits so rough that i can only hold it in for a couple seconds anyway.

5. About 3 seconds after I'm done clearing the piece I'm smoking from.
    If I'm smoking with others, I usually hold it till I'm done passing the joint/pipe/bong to my friend so I dont get smoke all over them.

6. You're suppose to exhale?

7. It is something like 95% of THC is absorbed by your lungs in the first 3-5 seconds of inhalation. so i usually hold for about 10, just to be sure :smoke:

8. For some reason i think that when you take huge ass hits from bongs and stuff all the smoke needs time to transfer. So to make sure im getting maximum THC absorption i like to hold it in as long as i can. Or if you wanna be naughty, use the containment method. :smoke:

9. I go for 7 seconds, but sometimes it just bursts out. :p

10. Mid-hit coughs are painful but make the experience pleasurable at the same time.

11. 3-5 seconds usually

12. Yeah man, i love that watery eye feeling. it is unplesent for a bit, but quickly mellows out and turns great...

13. just as long as a cig hit.
    no reason to take a longer toke than that.

14. The worst is when you inhale too much, and in the process of trying to cough it out you SWALLOW some. That sucks.

15. take a hit and then a deep breathe to fill the remainder of my lungs with air, exhale. ends up being like 3 - 5 sec.

16. .5 seconds - 30 seconds depending on how FLAME it is

but i always try to go as long as i can :smoke::D

17. No use in counting, I don't bother with it. I personally don't notice any difference between exhaling in a second or 5 seconds.

I read an article that said the majority of oxygen you breathe in, enters your blood stream in less than half a second.

This would leave me to believe most of the THC enters your blood stream instantaneously upon inhaling.

18. do you drink a 3 liter in 5 seconds just cuz you can take a drink in 5 seconds?????

NO so why only hold a hit in when your body can keep absorbing thc til you exhale NOTHING
    just cuz you take a HIT doesnt mean your body just sucks it up INSTANTLY

so holding it in helps

the llonger you hold it the longer the hit last

and sometimes you hold it too long your eyes will flash and it will take you to another level idk if you have or not

19. The first couple hits I take, I hold it about 3 seconds. After I'm alread stoned and smoking someone elses shit, I don't even bother cause I can't tell a difference.

20. That's called oxygen deprivation.