Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How long do you hold a hit?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by SheepAssassin22, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Herd if you hold it in long you get a better effect is this true?

2. No, it's absolutely false. In fact, the shorter amount of time you hold the smoke in the more high you will become.

3. 3 seconds is all you need

anything more is just you feeling light headed

4. Haha nice thanks duders

5. [quote name='"mindx"']No, it's absolutely false. In fact, the shorter amount of time you hold the smoke in the more high you will become.[/quote]

How could this possibly be true?

6. How about some real science, instead of opinions? :D

Breathhold duration and response to marijuana smoke. (abst - 1989)
    Breathhold duration and response to ... [Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1989] - PubMed - NCBI

Response to marijuana as a function of potency and breathhold duration (abst - 1991)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2027922?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Marijuana smoking: effects of varying puff volume and breathhold duration.
    (abst - 1995)
    Marijuana smoking: effects of varying p... [J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1995] - PubMed - NCBI

And one more thing, do NOT "clamp down" on a hit, or do the "Valsalva maneuver" while smoking! You can damage your lungs like that!

“Usual" cannabis abuse producing an unusual incident (abst – 2007)
    (The Valsalva maneuver is performed by attempting to forcibly exhale while keeping the mouth and nose closed. Don’t even think of doing it while smoking!)
    ["Usual" cannabis abuse producing an un... [Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Granny :wave:

7. [quote name='"mindx"']No, it's absolutely false. In fact, the shorter amount of time you hold the smoke in the more high you will become.[/quote]

Your a fucking ming ass shit gargler.

8. Like 5 seconds.

9. Unless I'm playing Chicago then only 4 seconds.

10. Great post, as usual.:smoke:

11. I haven't read a legitimate report about this but I have heard from a few different sources that the THC and other cannabinoids are absorbed within 1-3 seconds. You may FEEL higher for a few seconds due to oxygen deprivation, or exposure to CO2, rather. But the head rush from O2 deprivation Lasts less than a minute.

12. I don't know, it doesn't even matter how long you hold it in anyway. The only time I hold in a hit long is when I'm playing a game of "chicago" or "shotgun" with a friend or circle.
    Chicago= You take 1 hit, pass it to the next person in the cyph... you hold it in untill you hit again.
    Shotgun= Only played with 2 or 3 people. You take a hit pass it and they do the same. The trick is to hold it in the entire time and to do it faster to add a challenge.

13. what the fuck?

14. Granny always has the answers.

15. couple of seconds, sometimes 3..

16. No more than 3-5, otherwise youre just killing yourself

17. like one second probably.

18. Vapor? I ghost that shit. Hold for 7 seconds or so, exhale a bit, inhale through nose, repeat til vapor is gone.

Smoking, couple seconds. As per reading through the abstracts of granny's links:

19. 2-3 seconds, there is no reason to hold it any longer.