How long do high quality seeds last?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Seeds Banks' started by Smoker89, May 29, 2008.

1. i was wondering how long high quality marijuana seeds from a seedbank are able to germinate and become plants? i have heard 5+ years...any input is appreciated

2. I wanted to know too. I'm guessing years if they're kept well.

3. depends on there enviroment i got mine in a case in the freezer so mine should be good for a few years 3 at the most, just keep them dry out of light and they should be good for some time.

4. Shit 20 years if stored properly. Germination rate goes down progressively. Out of 50 seeds you might get 2 to germinate.

5. I don't know how different herb seeds are from other seeds, but here's something kind of interesting. If you have a nice dry cave, and some clay urns, they might last a LONG time. ;)

After a quick look I found this at Wikipedia.

The oldest carbon-14-dated seed that has grown into a viable plant was a Judean date palm seed about 2,000 years old, recovered from excavations at Herod the Great's palace on Masada in Israel. It was germinated in 2005. [1]
    If the above is confirmed by a report in a refereed scientific journal, then the second oldest viable seed would be the carbon-14-dated 1,300-year-old sacred lotus (Nelumbo nucifera), recovered from a dry lakebed in northeastern China in 1995.

6. The key to safe, long-term seed storage is cool and dry. Especially dry. Store them in a sealed glass jar in your refrigerator with a packed of desiccant in the jar. You can easily store them for 5+ years with little or no loss in vitality.

Room temperature storage will result in a decline in germination rates fairly quickly, resulting in perhaps a 70-80% germination rate after one year, and possibly only 50% germination after 2 years at room temperature and humidity.

Cool and very dry for the best storage and germination results.

Cheers,

Gene