How long can you clone a plant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DuffMaster, Dec 24, 2008.

1. #1 DuffMaster, Dec 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2009
    I lucked into a female using bag seed (the only one that sprouted), I've been cloning from it for 2 years.

For the last 6 months I've been having trouble veggin them. They just don't seem to want to grow.

I changed from flour's to a m/h and they started growing better, but the leaves aren't as green as they once were and they just seem to grow with one stem (no branches coming off).

Once i can get them to the flowering stage, then everything seems to go fine. It's just that my plants are smaller and weaker than they used to be.

I'm not sure what the next move should be, better lights maybe?

Thanks for lookin :).

..Oh yeah...........MERRY CHRISTMAS M/F!!!!!!!! ;)

2. i've read that you can keep a mother for double digit years. what kind of environment do you keep her in, light, feed etc. have you re-potted her? i hear that periodically you have to take them and cut off root matter and re-pot with fresh medium.

3. when was the last time you changed your bulbs

most only have an 8000 hour life which on 24/0 is only 333 days

probably just need new bulbs ;)

4. I read of a female mother being kept alive for 15 years.

5. Yeah, sounds like an environment problem. I've known a couple people who had mothers for 10+ years with no negative effects on the clones... I would have to think your lighting or feeding or something has caused the change. How is the mother's health compared to what it used to be?

6. Thanks for all the replies. I bought a couple new bulbs and am patiently waiting to see if it helps. My set up is pretty small. I have two 2' X 2' X '4 cabinets I built. My veg cabinet has 1 - 100watt m/h light and underneath that (in the same box) i have four 2' - 20 watt full spectrum flour tubes(I just bought some new ones). My flower box has two 70 watt hps i got at lowes + two 40 watt cfls(Flowering has been going fine).

As for the mother plant, the original mother plant was flowered a while back and since then i failed to establish a permanent mother, mostly because demand is outstripping supply and that i'm still fairly new at this and am trying to figure it out as i go.

I know this isn't what your supposed to use, but I've been using miracle grow potting soil. Everything was going good before. So now i'm kinda stuck.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow(It's late and i don't want to wake up my gf/boss).

7. Doh, my white widow was in MG and that took ages to grow! I put it into a bigger pot with foxfarm soil under it. Took a while to start growing at speed again, also I didn't feed mine while it was in the dreaded MG. I grew some bagseed at the same time in foxfarm and they went into my flowering room a whole month before my widow. Get rid of the MG and never use it again.

8. I've kept them for 10, and I know people who claim longer. You can also take clones of clones of clones of clones of clones...etc. It's a myth that they get weaker with successive cloning.

To the OP: Describe your lights, setup, etc. if you want to get credible help.

9. My veg cabinet has 1 - 100watt m/h light and underneath that (in the same box) i have four 2' - 20 watt full spectrum flour tubes(I just bought some new ones). My flower box has two 70 watt hps i got at lowes + two 40 watt cfls.

1st pic is my plants

2nd is my two cabinets

3rd is the inside of my flower box

4th is the top half of my veg box

5th is the bottom half of my veg box.

Attached Files:

10. Thanks for that. I'm gonna look into getting some different soil. I was reading about using a soiless mix. It consists of this:

1 part perlite
    1 part vermiculite
    1 part worm castings
    1 part peat moss

What do you think?

11. Others will almost certainly have different ideas, but I think it is bit light in nutrients for MJ (but probably great for cacti). I would add one more part of well rotted horse shit.