How Latin America May Lead the World in Decriminalizing Drug Use

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Swills, Oct 10, 2012.

1. #1 Swills, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
    How Latin America May Lead the World in Decriminalizing Drug Use | World | TIME.com

:bongin:

2. They have some balls.

But I suspect it's for profit?

3. There's always gonna be profit to made when demand for supply exists. This is about ending these insanely violent cartels.

4. But you don't think the cartel and the president didn't have a discussion behind closed doors?

5. Decriminalization here has worked. The government sees it has a health problem instead of a criminal one. The third violation and you have mandatory rehab I think.

Violence is prominent at the border (a thousand miles away from me!) because of American demand for drugs. That's what the war on drugs causes.

Carlin was right, every thing the US doesn't like, it declares war on it.

6. If it happens anywhere. It will first be in those places where cartels are powerful. Those populations have the most incentive and motivation to push for legalization because they are constantly exposed to the destructive results of prohibition.

7. No because prohibition puts criminals in business and legalization takes them out of business.

8. #8 Swills, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
    I'm no Economist but I think the cartel make more $$ with drugs illegal than they would if drugs become legal. For one, the cartel now has lots of competition & that is not in their best interest. Secondly, maybe people will finally stop buying their brick weed because now they can grow it or by it themselves locally because now it's so readily available.

Oh and this just in....

Mexico confirms death of feared Zetas boss | CNN

9. No, because that would have ended the same way the cartel handles anything, which is to cut the motherfucker's head off and send it to someone.

My hope is that Latin America as an entity chooses to, one by one, decriminalize drug use entirely. At that point, a good portion of the modern world will have done so and all thus far have seen positive effects from it in a variety of ways. Time will tell, however, if the United States possesses the common sense and intelligence required to end our War on Drugs; consider the fact that we still have not accepted the metric system as an exemplification of our stubborn insistence to "do things differently", even when those things are clearly wrong and problem-causing rather than problem-solving.