how important is my soil/dirt?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by thelumberjack, Apr 29, 2011.

1. right now i have three seedlings in dirt i dug 4 deep into the ground to get to. I understand the importance of soil, i just had nothing to get these growing in. the dirt i got is VERY dark, and has a very rich smell to it. my main question would be this, "if im planning on putting liquid nutes in after swapping them from the cans to 10 inch pots do i need to worry myself with dirt/soil quality too much?"

2. Post some pics of the soil black doesn't mean good

3. Your main concerns about the soil you dug up should be... bugs, pH, and drainage/aeration.
    I've grown one plant in soil I got in my backyard down by this creek. I dug down pretty deep first and the soil looked real rich like you described your's as. I never got to finish out that grow though. I really recommend just buying some quality soil like FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting soil. You can buy a 1.5 cubic feet bag of that for twenty to twenty-five dollars that's enough to fill about ten gallons.

4. #4 thelumberjack, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
    ill get pics... there were no visible bugs, and still no sign of them, and it has some amend enrich and perlite in the bottom too, not sure if that helps. pics soon.

5. its doesnt look very dark, because i havent watered them yet today. i have holes cut in the lowest part of the can for drainage. and before i water them, i can squeeze the can and the dirt cracks( i assume, this aids a little in aeration?) heres a pic though. i also have two or three small bark chunks in each can.ive never grown before, so be gentle guys.

[​IMG]

6. IMO soil has a pretty big factor for growing. Based on the look of your plants they're looking healthy but I would recommend investing in some quality soil from a gardening/hydro store when you transplant. This way you will be assured they dirt you are using is packed with nutrients as well as being properly aerated. Just my input though...

7. that is my plan pretty much, i just want to swap them once. so once they grow to the width of the cans, i will swap them into good size buckets with potting soil. can i use the moisture control miracle grow?

8. One transplant is a good idea, I really would stay away from Miracle Gro. I'm sure everyone would agree with me. I would invest in Fox Farm or any other quality soil. Your plant will love some good dirt over some cheapo crap.

9. liquid nutes help BUT ALSO hurt your plant...not to mention your wallet

you could use amendments and teas to feed them without harming the microbes that live with - and which are very important to - your roots

10. ok. theres a good deal on some happy frog soil at my local hydro store. are there any review sections here?

11. Whats wrong with miracle grow? I hear alot of people say its bad, but a few of my friends use it and their plants look real nice..

12. I've never used it but based on what I've read on multiple forums EVERYONE has told me to stay away from that stuff. I'm not saying it won't work, it would for sure be better than the dirt that plants it right now, but investing in quality organic soil is a better option IMO...

13. I would go buy a buy some of that for sure. Just Google "happy frog soil" and you'll be able to read many reviews on it.