How important is it to add CO2?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by amsterdamage, Dec 17, 2007.

1. In a small setup of one or two lights (MH & HPS) how important do you think it is to add CO2?

2. I think its needed more when you have a heat issue, temps above 85F.

3. I agree with Eleven357 if you have heat issues the extra Co2 is needed to reduce stress complications.
    But if you have a steady Fresh air source the need for Co2 injection is little to none.
    If you have limited fresh air intake then you may consider Co2 injection.

4. co2 is a pain..so i say no :)

5. ive had no experiance with it but reading up around the forum it seems that the more plants you have the better it would be to use it, but there doesnt seem to be a NEED for excess CO2

6. interesting, I didn't think a small grow would require extra CO2.

But some of us grow in extremely confined spaces with very limited air flow, eg file cabinets, computer cases, speaker cases, etc

It'd seem the only way we'd know for certain that the plants are getting enough CO2 for
    adequate growth is to accurately know what the CO2 level is around the plants. Either that or
    we just wait until things look wrong and try adding CO2 to see it fixes the problem.

7. Was thinking about adding it to a setup. Temps would be around 80-85 in a 8x6x9 area. Fresh area intake constant "ON" Photoeye, still warm though. Pulling air out Can filter 8" line.
    Using a C.A.P. CO2-2 Controller and it indicated CO2 low :devious:. So, thinking about on every 40 minutes for 10 min duration with Flow Regulator set on 1.0 on a scale of 0 to 2.0 (on the tank). Optimal range would be 800 to 1200 ppm but i am not sure how to get there with this setup? As soon as the the controller kick off the air in the room is suck out due to high temps:eek:

:bongin::bongin::bongin:

8. unless you're in a sealed room with all the bells and whistles, it's a waste. fresh air is all you need to grow.

9. Small plant grows with good ventilation is only one part of good co2 usage,you must also have good air movement around all leaves(stomas) when lights are on only. Our normal air co2 is limited at best for these types of plants,and for best results a much higher co2 level must not only be present but be un interupted by room air exchange for a set time period for effective usage of that sup. co2 or its just a waste.The sealed room is best for a constant 1500 ppm co2,but then you MUST control the temps(can be warmer but not needed) and the RH.WELL.;)

10. Trust me, would not want to make this any harder than it seems, but it seems like there is a direct relationship exists between light and CO2 uptake, and determining the correct ratio can increase your harvest by as much as 25%. In a noonday sunlight, with around 5000 lumens per sq ft, a mature plant can process about 2000 ppm of C02. So if one would spend a lot of money on lights and power than why decrease the efficiency of the setup without the CO2 supplement? hightimes January 2008 page 49-50

Not trying to be a jack leg or anything, looking for helpful input to increase production
    :smoke:

11. LOL, what's a jack leg? your post is correct. but like i said, unless you're in a sealed room with all the equipment necessary the co2 just won't be of any use. you gotta turn off the fans and the temp. hass gotta be right... for most growers, it just isn't feasable. cash croppers are big co2 users, LOL!

12. The original post asked about a small one or two HID grow and all the answers were correct.This is a perfect example of how vast variables in a grow environment can change what equiptment is really needed.

13. ^^^^ He gets my vote. Variables, variables and more variables. No two setups are identical.

14. actually it's about environment. you have to find what you need to control it.

15. Again,variables man.

16. So cali,does ODI mean Over Da Influence?

17. I guess it could, are you referring to an ODI acronym you saw somewhere? Cause UDI is actually a group from SF.