Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How hard is it to quit?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by TimeIsIllmatic, Feb 19, 2013.

1. #1 TimeIsIllmatic, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
    Feel free to skip this part if you're impatient and/or easily bored: I just had an epiphany (like literally, it just happened, not even five minutes ago) and I've come to the conclusion that I need to quit blazing. Definitely not forever, but at least a couple months. See, I don't have a job, so I'm broke and in dire need of a job. I'm also an 18 year old high school student and with the end of the school year coming down the home stretch, I really need to start going hard in the classroom, especially with college right around the corner.

Now, this is one of the longest I've gone without smoking since I started last year. I lost count at 4 days, so if I had to take a guess at how long it's been, I'd say around a week, more or less. I have an overly-addictive personality, so I'm pretty much a junkie for weed. It's what I spend most of my sober time thinking about, but I'm tired of fiending for it. For the last 6 months, my weed supply has been stealing from my brother. Now, I quit doing that a couple weeks ago, felt too shitty.

I'm gonna try not to smoke again until 420 (c'mon, how can you miss out on the Stoner Christmas?). Then I'm gonna try not to smoke again after that until the school year ends in June.

******The part I need help with: Well, how hard will it be? Will it get better or worse with time?

2. I'll be real with you, it sucks dick. Like a lot. I've had to quit for a while for school and it blows, but as long as you keep occupied for a while, you'll stop wanting to smoke so bad. Just stay busy, focus on school, and remember-the longer without smoking, the lower the tolerance. Stay strong man, I gotcha back!

3. um mary jane is not addictive... its all in your mind

4. But your mind dictates your actions! I have an addictive personality like OP, and when you get into the habit of daily smoking, it's very hard to stop. Some people can stop cold turkey and be totally carefree, it's just not that way with everyone. It's especially hard if you're trying to cope with something through smoking, though that probably doesn't apply to OP

5. Stealing weed is a really douchy thing to do, especially from family.

6. Really? I had no idea, if only I would have said "I stopped doing that a couple weeks ago, because it felt really shitty". Yea.

Sorry if I sound like an ass right now, I'm very easily agitated, especially when I'm incredibly sober.

7. First off theres no such thing as an addictive personality. Quit blaming that for your reason to not quit weed

Get some hobbies and do them. Weed is easy to quit, all you have to do is not smoke it

8. You just have to come to the realization that there's more then just weed. I was once like you where my sober time was spent thinking about toking but when ever I needed a break or had to you just have to push it in the back of your mind. Try and occupy with maybe some of your older hobbies before you smoked or spend more time with your girlfriend if you have one.

I think you got past the hard part already, if you can go the first week weed free then the rest will be a breeze, especially if you stay occupied. Try and go get that job you need and stay focused on your schooling. If you feel like you need to relieve stress in a non sober way maybe if you worked your ass off that week go drink and have a good time with your friends one day of the weekend.

People make quitting weed sound like meth withdraws but it really isn't at all. I've quit many of times and no maybe not forever but I know when it's time to take a break I can do it. I guess it all comes down to if you really want to stop or not, if you have the will power to know what's best for you. Then when you achieve what you want, celebrate it with some bud! Good luck OP

9. Actually, back in fall of 2012, I was almost completely depressed by the thought of being sober, though I was sober almost every day during that time. That's what made this decision so hard, I've been contemplating for months whether to do it or not, I've always just been too overwhelmed to do it. Then I realized that it's my mind, so not being able to take control of your own mind shows mental weakness.

10. Ummm, are you for real? Just because you don't have an addictive personality doesn't mean they're not real. I've tried a handful of times to quit, it's just I always ended up getting really depressed from it. My family has a long history of incredibly addictive personalities. Read a fucking psychology book my dude.

11. if you don't want to quit, then you will have a hard time, but if you truly want to stop it should be easy.

IMO at least

12. Wasn't hard for me. Quit for 2 years after daily for like 20. The first couple of days kind of suck... not as easy to fall asleep, the feeling of "Oh, I'd like to blaze right now", etc. but that was the extent of it. After a couple weeks it was nothing and after a month I really didn't think about it much if at all.

13. It's not hard. If you need to quit, quit. It sucks for about the first week, but after that you'll get used to not getting high. Just focus on what you need to do and don't give up. There will be times when you want to cave, but you gotta resist it. Whenever you feel like you absolutely need to smoke, just ask yourself: "Is it really worth giving up to be high for an hour or two?"

14. Is it hard to quit? Personally, yes. But it's a lot easyer than the hard stuff. For me. I go into bad depression and anxiety and get sort tempered.

15. You and me know it more than just a high. It's a higher level that you cannot reach sober. It's a powerful feeling to the body and mind.

16. It's not addictive at all, just habitual and is extremely easy to quit if you want to, unlike cigarettes, alcohol, or other drugs.

17. Yea man that's cool, you can quit for 56 year but you'll still have the stoner spirit within until the end of time.

I myself had to quit to find a job, its not too bad just occupy yourself. When I quit MJ to find a job I picked up dip, I don't condone you too, just an experience.Find out when you get hired if they drug test if they don't, toke it up!

since beginning my job i learned they don't drug test so I was clear to commence the tokage.

18. I feel like this is the reason why weed will never be legal, the mind over powers you. Seriously its your mind that makes it seem like an adiction. Keep strong man.

19. #19 aPersonUponaHill, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    You will be fine, I dont know when I will smoke weed again, but I will. You dont see me freaking out. Its been...I dunno I dont count because it does not define my life like that. You really need to back off for a while if you have feelings like this and are counting the days since you smoked. It is a sign you are taking it way too seriously, it is weed. It is supposed to be relaxing and fun, there when you have free time(not consume all your free time either, meaning go out and live also, have hobbies, workout, work, socialize) not an I have to do this to get through the day when I have no medical condition.

20. it's easier when you lose your connect