Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How hard is it to get a card?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by iSmoker, Jul 30, 2009.

1. I don't live in CA, and don't plan on moving there until I am out of college. But I just wondering, how hard it is to get a card to buy MMJ. I don't need one, but I just curious since it seems easy, like what are these recommendations and stuff. People keep throwing around websites and it seems so easy to get one, like you just got to sign up and pay the money and you got one.

Thanks,

iSmoker

2. I plan on moving to California when I get out of college and I was wondering this as well. I have depression, which I believe is one of the conditions that a doctor will recommend you for, so I hope I'll be able to get a card.

3. Yeah man, I am hoping to move there after college, and I have had problems with depression throughout my whole life, my parents have never given me medication for it, but smoking weed has always put me into a better mood, and reduced depression.

4. Then you shouldn't get one.

Come on dude. Don't post shit like this up on PUBLIC message boards. Opponents of MMJ do read this stuff and use it as fuel for the anti-MMJ fire.

Do what you will, but remember that abuse of the system is one of the main points used to keep MMJ illegal in other states, and there are people who actually do need it who can't get it right now because of that.

Please have a little respect and consideration for them.

5. This is all true but at this point its way to late to do anything about it. It is well known that the number of card holders is nowhere even close to the number of people that legitimately need it. Even the system itself is designed to be abused. As far as I know, marijuana is the only medicine where patients are given an unlimited prescription. For every other drug, you have to keep going back to the doctor in order to get more. If they wanted medical marijuana to be used legitimately, they would have made it the same way.

In reality, it is the way it is because millions of people like smoking marijuana and this was the only path to get to get it legally. LA now has more dispensaries than it has starbucks stores. This is no secret and it is either an indication that LA has a serious public health crisis or that thousands of people have cards that don't need them. While this isn't fair to the people of other states that need it, it's simply the way it is.

6. I understand your point, but there's no reason to help build a case for opponents of MMJ. Until we've got medical in all 50 states, we have to keep playing this asinine little game. It sucks, but it's reality.

7. The laws are written that way because it's easier to pass them when they aren't bogged down in detail. Because each detail allows an anti-drug zealot to take issue with it.

Marijuana can not be prescribed because of federal law, it can only be recommended. That is why there are no guidelines for the script because there is no script. There is also no need for a limit because you can not overdose or become addicted as you can with narcotic drugs.

Just because the system can be abused doesn't make it right. Yes we want it legal for all adults, but gaming the system is the wrong way to go about it, it shows users in a bad light as far as the people we are trying to win over are concerned. It looks just like every other junkie trying to score a fix from a doctor.

8. I agree that gaming the system is not the right thing to do but I just think it's a lost cause. Not medical marijuana as a whole but the integrity of it in california. There are tons of people that don't need it at all and tons more that say they use it for insomnia and headaches. I get insomnia and headaches too from time to time but I don't consider myself in need of medical marijuana. Trying to keep this a secret is like trying to keep steroids in baseball a secret. Both have already gone well beyond what most would consider a secret. All that being said, I'm not trying to tell the OP to cheat the system. Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right.

9. I think everyone knows how I feel about gaming the system, so I'll refrain from commenting.

To answer the OP's question, if you have a legitimate qualifying condition as listed in Prop 215 and SB 420, then it's not that difficult to get your recommendation in all honesty. But you do need to have a qualifying condition.

10. Just out of idle curioisty, do you know the specifics behind sleeping disorders being a qualifying condition? Just in case I ever decided to oh... I dunno... sell all my shit and move there. ;)

On my medical record, since I was a kid I've taken basically every prescription sleep aide you can get. Ambien wakes me up WIDE awake after only 6 hours, Ambien CR doesn't work at all (weird), Lunesta played with my head. I pretty much stick to benadryl and melatonin, both OTC obviously but there's nothing like ripping out with the Volcano and drifting off into oblivion waking up 7-8 hours later refreshed.

I know a lot of people say "I can't sleep" but as you say, I'm not out to game the system.

11. Insomnia is still a qualifying condition as far as I know.

12. You can defiantly get a recommendation in California for sleeping disorders.

To the OP you already said you don't need one so don't get one.

13. It isnt hard to get a card at all out here in california you can say almost any illness and theyll perscribe it,you could say you stubbed your toe and they problably give it to you,honestly I think this is bullshit how they just give anybody a card for any reason about 1 out of every 20 people actually need it,they need to actually perscribe as needed and stop giving out cards like candy,but to answer your question its almost too easy to get a card all it costs is a hundred bucks and an hour of time

14. "i don't need one..but i want one"

wow.haha ragggged

show some respect for some people who actually use it for medicinal purposes

15. I live in California all you need is 200 bucks for the DR. and 60 bucks for the card. If you are coming to marin county than ill hook you up with the dr.

16. Wow, you mean for TWICE the average amount you can hook me up?

Dude...

Nice rip-off

17. Come on man, people actually need it as medication. You said you really don't need one so don't come up with excuses as to why you do.

Grow your own if you need some that bad...it will save you money in the end anyways....big time.

18. blades need to chill and lay off the man. he never said he had intentions of gaming the system, just exploring his curiosity. dont mean to single you out, haggs, but my screen never showed him saying this quote

19. Would I be eligable for a card with a history of colon tumors and chronic post surgery pain?

On top of that I have asthma, and Im pretty sure its one of the illnesses that MMJ is prescribed for.

And, lol (there's more) I have several hemorrhoids in my hemorrhoidial vein.

Im thinking of moving in an apartment in Fresno County, Cali and since Im moving, might as well apply for some state qualified bud. :smoking::D:smoking:

20. all that? Dude you should be lighting up a massive legal bud right about now. You're qualified