How happy are you, really?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by See Emily Play, Mar 3, 2010.

1. I live a pretty good life. I still live with my parents, and even though I'm 20 I still get an allowance (I know, wtf, right?) so I don't have to work. I go to a really good private university and love the course I'm doing.

But a lot of the time, I feel like there's something missing. Sometimes I just want to throw everything down and get on a plane to anywhere without a cent in my pocket.

I've been sitting behind a desk for 14 years. I don't want to stop learning, but I'm getting sick of being taught.

If my life ended tomorrow, I'd have nothing to show for it except my parent's money and a half completed degree. I'm tired of waiting. I feel like it's all I've been doing my whole life. Waiting to get a drivers license, waiting to finish high school, waiting to finish university. I feel like I'm stuck in a waiting room, as soon as I've finished this, or turned this age, life will really start. Life started 20 years ago, but ever since then, I've been waiting for it to start (if that makes sense).

I'm so tired of it all. I'm lucky, and I'm grateful for that, but the endless monotony is killing me.

Any thoughts, experiences, whatever?

2. I hear ya, it's the same shit here - what you say about 'waiting rooms' is especially relevant, It feels like everything should be leading up to something when it's just leading up to another period of waiting. I don't know exactly what else I should expect, some kind of magical adventure or period of infinite wonder after all this waiting... but yeah, I feel unfulfilled and a bit empty. Still, things could be way worse, so I'll say that I'm semi happy :D

3. Happiness is the only thing people want for its own sake. But, happiness shouldn't be your goal in life. If it is, you're missing out on a lot, just to be happy all the time. The Stoics knew this and so do Zen Buddhists.

Being an adult means making your own decisions and sticking by them. You are the master of your destiny. Take the initiative, if you wish. If not, be prepared to wither away at the crossroads.

4. I'm a college drop out, jobless, have sex with a girl I don't even like, mad at the world, I spend all my money on drugs and alcohal, just so I can cope

All in all, i'm pretty unhappy

5. If you spend your entire life in the pursuit of happiness that consists of MAJOR goals, you're going be pretty disappointed most of the time.

Appreciate the little things. Those are the things that matter most in life anyway, when you reflect back on everything.

You're entire life your going to be waiting for something else, working towards something else.

If you live for the day to day stuff, instead of your long term goals, you will be much more satisfied, and feel like you've accomplished more.

6. This. Every I wait for something and it happens, I find something else to wait for. I'm sure that once I'm done with university, I'll be waiting to find a job, then once I find that, I'll be waiting for something else. It's so frustrating :(

I agree. I'm going to try slow things down and stop looking to the future, and just take everything as it comes and appreciate each day

7. It has been a long difficult road, but I can honestly finally say...I am truly happy! I love my life!
    Lots of positive thinking....That is a must.
    :D

8. id say that about sums up how i feel... except i dont even know what the fuck i want to major in. im just doin a liberal arts thing right now. but happy? im not miserable or depressed and i have a decent life... but happy may be too strong a word.

9. ive been there... but then i went and got my diploma at a community college, got a job that i hate at a restaurant, told the girl we were done and realised that the world doesnt give a shit if im mad at it or not and... actually i spend more on weed than i used to because i buy more at a time but i smoke less.

10. #10 Phantasmagoria., Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010
    My mom has cancer and I smoke probably too much weed. All in all, though I can't really bitch. I'm top side, no one is dead yet, I haven't really done anything I really regret (minor things, but nothing major). I could be happier if I had ambition to do so, I just don't. I maintain a 4.0 in a community college, and it's killing me. It's easy and I don't feel like I'm learning anything at all, I just have to do it to transfer and save myself some cash. So it is necessary, but it feels like such a waste of money and time.

I guess what makes me the most unhappy is my unwillingness to do anything to make myself happier. I could be out doing shit, and hanging out with all my friends... but lately, it just seems so much easier and better for me if I just chill with my girlfriend and play a lot of video games. Even that is a minor complaint in the scheme of things.

So it isn't great, but it's not bad, really.

Oh, also I need a job. But I live in Michigan, and with the economy, good luck finding a job. I'm almost 20 and I haven't ever had a real job. I couldn't balance it with school during High School, and when I got out, the economy was already tanking. Mixed with a small town, and the job opportunities are few and far between. I still manage a decent living somehow, though and I've never missed rent. I get some anxiety about that whole job thing sometimes.

It's all in the little things, my friend. Just go someplace else, you're 20. You have friends, just do some couch surfing. Couch surfing was some of the funnest times of my life, to be honest with you.

11. #11 TearDownGod, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010

Smoke more pot! Find someone to love! Try psychadelics! DO NOT LET YOUR PARENTS RUIN YOUR LIFE. Yes, they are helping.. but you never will get that "I'm alive" feeling until you do your own goddamn business, yeah? Get out there Emily! Go to a concert! Break motherfucking Curfew! Fire a gun while rock climbing!

You see what i'm getting at here.

Your parent's ideal time for your happiness is when you retire, some 40 odd years from now.

Edit- And yes, they are ruining your life. I'm honestly worried for you. These are your most precious years and your missing out on some things you can NEVER do again.
    I'm not 100% happy but at least i've tried- and most of the time, i'm pretty goddamn happy.

12. I'm really fucking unhappy, and human life has dropped to next to worthless in my book.

Shit sucks.

13. Take this Pil and call me in the morning.:wave: What he says, goes for me too.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY_qEpLZJW8&feature=related"]YouTube - Public Image Ltd. - Happy[/ame]

Happiness is a Walt Disney creation. I'd rather know the truth, no matter how miserable it is.

14. I agree that I do depend on my parents a bit much, but that's because I can't afford to move out, so while I'm under their roof, it's their rules. It's not so bad, they've gotten off my back a lot since I turned 18.

The last thing I'd say is that they're ruining my life. They'd let me do pretty much anything I want, if I could pay for it myself (which unfortunately, I can't at the moment). As long as I'm using their money, I gotta do what they want me to do - which luckily, is the same as what I want to do (university and career-wise). If I wanted to pack up and move to Europe, they wouldn't stop me but they sure as hell wouldn't help me out.

I appreciate your concern, but I think it has less to do with my parents than it does with me

15. Okay, it's not your parents, but what your parents think you should be doing (insofar it's boring you to death, right?). You can still do what they want you to do and be free- that was my point. I never said get naked and run away from home to join the circus or anything... :p

16. ya life can be a bummer sometimes, I know that I am definitely not happy. I recently dropped out of college and ended up moving back with my parents for way longer than I intended due to the lack of jobs in this little shithole town. I spend almost every penny I make here and there on booze, weed or whatever I can get my hands on to temporarily escape this place.

honestly living or dieing doesn't make any difference to me anymore, most of the time I would rather not have lived at all than live the way most people do. In some twisted way though I enjoy my apathy because of the freedom it gives me. I am free to do what most people can't or wouldn't because of fear, but I just think whats the worst that could happen, I die? I take dont give a fuck to the highest level and enjoy ever minute of it in a morbidly depressing bohemian kind of way.

peace:smoking:

17. I force happiness into my head. So far I've done a good job at fooling it.

18. I'm not happy. But joyful? I'm here. Life rolls on, however hard moments may seem. :eek:

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.
    Albert Camus

"O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless-- of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life? Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse." -Walt Whitman.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
    ~Robert Frost

19. I don't know how I would define happiness.

I used to be so content, so ambitious, so motivated...because I had a goal and I did a hell of a job achieving it. Superficial yes, it was bodybuilding. But I always had a sense of well-being.

But then I fell really fucking hard for a girl and everything changed. It never grew into anything...but I was left craving those emotions because they made me feel so complete.

All of a sudden I started to care about so many things that I never cared about...and that's when I started to get depressed, because I didn't have what I wanted.

And then I somehow stumbled across the world of psychedelics, ecstasy etc. Never experienced them yet, but just learning about them opened even more doors to the potential of life.

I guess initially, back in my peaceful and ambitious days...I always felt good...but I never said "Damn, I'm happy." I was just...content.

And so now, I'm left with the knowledge of what could potentially complete my life. But I don't really love my life as of yet. I want to be able to say "Fuck yeah, I feel complete." Not, "Okay, I'm content." There are so many different emotions that I desire: Happiness, satisfaction, completeness, fulfillment, ambition, peace, feeling alive.

So yeah, I dunno where the fuck I'm going in life. But even though I may not be content as of now, even though I'm a bit more fucked in the head than how I used to be...I'm glad that I've opened my eyes to the greater possibilities in life.

20. "There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved."
    ~George Sand