how fast roots dry out without water?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by olkuser, Mar 23, 2013.

1. #1 olkuser, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    Today was my first time changing water in DWC system. The length of roots is about 7 inches. While I was busy replacing the roots dried. Therefore, the question arose how fast roots dry out without water?

2. It's better IMO to have a 5 gal bucket with PHed water and use that as a holder while you change what you need and roots don't take long to dry out when they are used to having all the water they need

Sent from iPhone 5

3. And yet, how long before necrosis occurs?

4. Oh I don't know I haven't tested the time limit as fast as I can get it back in the water sorry but it can't be LNG

Sent from iPhone 5

5. It takes a long time before your roots dry out. The oxygen they receive while u change nutes can actually be healthy for your roots (keep them out of light tho), and don't take all day.

6. roots take days to dry out depending on conditions. Theyre still attached to the rest of the plant which has water in it. The best hydro systems are NOT DWC but rather other systems that promote complete drying of roots and then flooding of these roots after they are dry. Dry roots are most important at night time when they use valuable small ammounts of oxygen

7. usually in flood and drain systems the roots are out of water for about 4 hours, while under lights. and are not flooded at all in the night cycle. they are usually in clay balls for this duration so they have access to moisture from these. flood and drain systems are miles better than DWC because the roots get much more air. in my opinion your plants will benefit from what you did

8. Gold you just gave me an idea to make a Top Feed Ebb and Flow SWC!!!