how far should I have 600w HID fro n seedlings ?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by killaman, Sep 29, 2014.

1. yo how far away should I have my 600w HID away from my seedlings ? I'm using a progrow 120x120x200 tent if that makes any difference. cheers

Sent from my C5303 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. As close as temps will allow to avoid stretching.

I like to use CFL's for very early veg as they are cheap, simple to work with and can be placed close to seedlings/plants.

3. #3 tk86high, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
    Seedlings do not need light , once the first pair of true leafs come in than it needs light and That's not the cotyledons leaves that die after a couple of weeks .
    U r wasting electricity if u r putting on the lights before its first set of true leaves come in . As it does nothing for the seedlings .

And I agree with above poster on as close as possible without making things too hot , I keep my 400w (which I read is as hot the 600w) 5-6inches away . But I have a cooltube and fans blowing everywhere plus window is always open .

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

yeah they've got the first true leaves already. they're between 1 and 2cm from stem to the leaf tip so they're still pretty small. 

5. I started my 600 about 18" away, and move it down to about 12 to 15" over the first few days with a cooled hood. Get it as close as temps will allow while still covering your footprint.