How does this happen?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by unclemick, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Attached Files:

2. It could result from many things. They could be F2 seeds, which will often show recessive traits, variances in growth characteristics, and instabilites resulting from the 2 parents. They could also be 2 very different strains. Seed companies seem to continue to fail in the ethics catagory IMO. Profits have now become the main focus rather than giivng customers quality genetics, and/or consistent genetics.

3. Also could just be one seed from another strain got mixed in the wrong container. Human error has to be as common or more so when the dude packing your seeds just tasted the newest strain in the employee break-room....:p

4. So what seed distributors (and strains) in your opinion have the highest quality stable genetics...I got some from AMS and the big bud strain may as well have been 10 random strains...very little similiarity between plants and only 3 made really good buds...the others were like sativa mutants and took forever to flower...

5. Some places carry consistent strains, it seems the more old school varieties are most consistent. AMS is well known for selling F2's, which could easily give the results you describe. The F2 generation is the most inconsistent generation for it shows the many variations of the genetic lines from both parents.

Many places only acquire seeds from more reputable breeders and produce their own seeds, and/or they only get female cuts and do their best to back cross into this mother cut to recreate the strain.

Research is the best way to find good consistent strains.

6. Slightly OT but it looks like one plant took on more of the ruderalias parentage and one took the Durban parentage. So it's probably f2 seeds as everyone else stated. But I'm curious as to why a ruderalias is crosses with a super quick sativa...and one that's so easy to grow and all the ruderalias did is shorten the flower time slightly and take away potency...

7. Thanks for your time!

(what does OT mean?)
    Would you suggest a better sativa?
    Thanks in advance!

8. OT= Off Topic lol :)

Yeah just get Dutch Passions Durban Poison...very srtong and finishes flowering in 8-9weeks (last week of September had 5% amber trics on mine) and very mold and powdery mildew resistance!

9. Plants like humans express variation. Humanoid brothers an sisters look different, even "twins" can be told apart. No strain breeds "true", there's thousands of minute overlapping traits expressed by each individual progeny(rob clarke 1977)

10. thats the problem growing all from seed, you may end up with a bunch of different phenotypes, i popped 20 grass o matic fem autoflower seeds, 14 popped, and there are like 3 different phenos going on in those 14

if anyone is interested i may post up some pics of them

11. But if variety is your thing that can be nice...I've had some really good variations on strains that I've kept and cloned...especially with inbred mutey seed bank strains...sometimes that random weird-leafed mutant that grows only to a foot tall and yeilds stringy buds is the one that has the best taste and buzz...it's often worth the hassle just for that little stash of 'le difference'....

12. #12 g51782, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2010
    i agree, no plant is a waste in my opinion as long as you have the space, time, and materials, although it would be nice if the genetics they sold were a little more stable, considering some people are paying for high quality seeds and they may be banking on just a few seeds for their needs, and they end up with mutants

13. with ams they have a bonus 20 seeds that they give you with your order . they have no name and or nybackground xcept that they were some guys breeding project and its a indi sativa mix. this could be a source of some of the dif in your plants.

14. 1. It depends of mother plant stability
    2. It depends of stressed female who pollinate mother plant
    2.2. It depends of stability of stressed plant

15. LOL ..OT also here...but

where does it say they crossed it with Ruderalis ?

and back on topic, Seedsman seeds are F2s, like Nirvana