Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How does the cost of marijuana compare to the cost of Marinol?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by HotToddy, May 10, 2009.

1. Check it out here (formatting messed up below):

Methodology: Given that marijuana is not available by prescription, information regarding the dose and cost was taken from the average of sampling numerous physicians, cannabis clinics, and government officials. Those averages for marijuana are as follows:
    A typical marijuana cigarette ("joint") contains 0.5 grams of marijuana.
    A low dose of marijuana use is considered 1 joint (0.5 grams of marijuana) per day. A high dose is considered 3 joints per day (1.5 gram of marijuana). An average dose is therefore considered to be 1.0 grams (2 joints) per day.
    Marijuana is typically purchased by patients in 1/8 ounce (3.5 grams) quantities at a usual purchase price of $60 per 1/8 ounce for marijuana that is considered moderate to high quality. The average per gram cost is therefore considered to be $17.14 per gram. Patients who grow their own marijuana, buy low-grade marijuana, or purchase in bulk will likely have a lower cost per gram.
    Marinol is available by prescription so dosage and cost was readily available.
    According to a pharmacist at Sav-On Drugs in Los Angeles, Marinol pills have an average retail price of $1.81 per milligram (2.5mg pill = $1.73/mg, 5mg pill = $2.05/mg, 10mg pill = $1.65/mg). Most patients use 5.0 mg pills.
    According to Marinol's manufacturer, Unimed Pharmaceuticals, AIDS patients are typically prescribed 5 milligrams per day (2.5mg at lunch and 2.5 at dinner) although the dosage is frequently increased to 7.5 milligrams per day (2.5mg at lunch and 5mg at dinner).
    Unimed also stated that cancer chemotherapy patients are usually prescribed 15mg (5mg 3x per day) to 20mg (5mg 4x per day) per day.
    The low dose for Marinol was therefore calculated to be 5mg per day, and the high dose was determined to be 20mg per day. The average dose is 12.5mg per day.
    Given Marinol's status as a Schedule III drug, most insurance companies cover the drug so the actual cost to patients is often $0 or $10-$20 co-payment per prescription.
    The monthly section assumes 30 days per month, and the yearly section assumes 365 days per year.

2. A person can grow MMJ for themselves at between $20-$40 per ounce dried and trimmed. Marinol is about $10 per pill and only contains synthetic THC. It does not do all the real MJ does.

clinton

3. Marinol is utter BS.

It's synthetic THC, but that's it.

The reason cannabis is such a good medicine is because of all of the other cannabinoids and nutrients in it.

4. Yeah marinol is not a replacement for marijuana, even though the government says it is (I think in a famous supreme court case to justify the lack of federal medical marijuana laws)

I've found it to be really unpredictable, similar doses doing different things. It often leaves me much less functional than I would be if I had smoked, or ate an edible. It also can't be given when you can't keep anything down, like marijauna can be.

Point being, this is like comparing the price of apples and oranges. Even if it's free with insurance, getting real bud has many advantages that I feel make up for it's price.

5. I KNOW what went into the bud I grow. I do not know what is in a pill.

Granny :wave: