How do you use a tomato cage?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Caligreen530, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Do you push the branches in or do you pull them through the cage? Im planing next years grow and i want to scrog and use the tomato cage like I see everybody elts using. I just don’t know how

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Preferably you stake it into the soil before the plant is too big so it grows around the cage

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I top then train colas to outside of cage some smaller colas will grow in the middle 4-8 will grow on outside depending on how many times ya top.

• Like Like x 1
  4. So your saying just let it do its thing? It’s not like scroging?

5. Thanks

6. If u looking to scrog, stay away from the tomato cage. You will be able to train the girl to the edge of the cage but that's a limited space for her until she forced to grow up. I would go with pvc pipe to make a scrog net. You could even isolate each pot to have it,s own 4x4 scrog net.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Tomato cage is kind of like anything else, just there to be used however you see fit. Can tie to it, loop plants out than in, in than out, etc. Can keep a plant in and than ballon it out the top, can weave it out at the bottom and back in. It's just a tool to be used however you see fit.

As guys say, it's best to stake them in when planting, or when the plant is small and young, avoids lots of hassle.

8. What about bamboo stakes? This is what I’m working with after these flower I’m filling it up with a pathway down the middle [​IMG]

9. I prefer bamboo stakes. It makes the plant more moveable. You can still get lots of colas with topping and lst. With 5 or 6 stakes each 7 gallon pot you would be able to fill you space better. Make sure 4 of the stakes are at a angle. This will allow more room for the tops.