How do you properly ventilate a closet?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Orange Tea, Sep 1, 2012.

1. I see a lot of people interested and doing closet grows, but I'm wondering, how can you do it without drilling holes and that kind of thing in there? Surely everyone isn't taking closets and punching holes in them for ventilation and carbon scrubbers. Anyone have any info on this? I have found the perfect closet in my apartment to use, but the only opening is a full sized door. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

2. Well, I. . . ummm. . .

No, nevermind, I got a hole saw, and drilled 7 holes in my cabinets to run my air lines and intakes.

Can I offer 1 piece of advice? You *could* drill a hole in the floor, and put in a bathtub drain fitting. Makes a grill about the same level as the floor, looks clean and professional, but you need space under the closet. You could do the same to the side or whatever.

You could probably just put your carbon scrubber in the room with your plants, but at the end of the day, you're absolute best bet is to install a vent. Either push out through the vent, and let the area around the door (assuming it's not flush) be your passive intake, or install 2 vents, and push out through one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Concerning my lease I do not think this is possible... would it work to breathe it daily with a carbon scrubber in the room? Fans would also be able to be run inside of the closet, the only problem is that a vent simply can't happen unless it's a non-hardmod type of fix.

4. Well, here's EXACTLY what I'd do in your shoes.

I'd measure your door, and see if you can find one the same size at home depot or somewhere. Door sizes, especially in apartments, are pretty standard. If you can, but the new door, and make some vent-holes in it, one up high, one down low. Mount your carbon scrub into one of em, or run your scrub line through the hole. Put either a PVC fitting with a "u" shape on the other (painted black inside the pipe), or find another way to prevent light leaking in.

5. You have stumbled on the fact that Closet grows suck. Many try many fail. They underestimate the heat build up that generates and i gets 90 100 degrees or more in there and eventually ends in fail.

Closets, sheds, attics, and garages tend to be some of the worst places to grow. Intense temp swings, not insulated, cant get rid of the heat etc.

6. That's actually a really great idea, hadn't thought of that at all. I will continue to look for alternatives for the sake of saving myself from having to borrow a truck to carry a door etc, but if all else fails this will be what I do.

Also, really like your Glitch super harvest icon, lol. I've spent way too much time playing that game, and always chuckled at the super harvests.

7. I kinda fell out of playing glitch, but I need to get back into it. The world just got so big so fast at one point ^_^

But it's really cool to have it recognized.

8. I don't play it as much anymore either, I usually go back and play it every few months for a few weeks at a time then forget about it again. I learned all of the skills so half of the fun is gone. I used to love going to work and training a skill while I was doing my shifts. It'd be cool to come home and have something new to play with every day or two.

9. hey, check out my thread, i was in closet. you cant do hotter than t5's the way I did it.

10. [quote name='"btaylortherogue"']Well, here's EXACTLY what I'd do in your shoes.

I'd measure your door, and see if you can find one the same size at home depot or somewhere. Door sizes, especially in apartments, are pretty standard. If you can, but the new door, and make some vent-holes in it, one up high, one down low. Mount your carbon scrub into one of em, or run your scrub line through the hole. Put either a PVC fitting with a "u" shape on the other (painted black inside the pipe), or find another way to prevent light leaking in.[/quote]

but I love this idea, easy to replace a door. easier thn a wall, lol you would then light leak proof the room.

11. i am fortunate enough to have my house's ac ducts near the closet i'm in, near enough that a little 6" ducting can reach it...unfortunately, it's still a pita to deal with heat at times, especially this past record-breaking summer

running at night also helps

12. The idea of growing in a closest is a great one, I've been very lucky with my closet grow so far.

But I also have the luxury of living away from civilization. Security is absolutely not an issue, so I have none. Meaning that I run fresh air into my grow medium with the window in the room.

The closet has worked very well for vegging, but I'll be purchasing a grow tent soon enough for flowering.

If you need to veg and can't afford to setup something more proper. Closet is perfect... But you need to be sure to get your hands on something more reliable and safe for flowering. This is something I realized almost instantly.