How do you produce feminized seeds?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Dr. Feel Good, Jun 9, 2008.

1. I've been wanting to know how to produce feminized seeds. How is it done? Does anyone know?

2. Dont take me for Gospel, but i thought it was from a Hermie plant -

Id curious as well

3. Marijuana plants can be Male or Female. When you're growing Marijuana, you need the female plants becouse you smoke the Female flowers of the marijuana plant.
    Normal seeds can be both male or female (X-Y = male / X-X = female) normally you have a 50% change on one of them on every seed.

Sometimes a female plant contains male flowers, its rare but it happens. The male flowers on a female plant contain the same chromosomes as the female plant itself (X-X). This means that the Female plant can fertilise itself and can grow seeds that can only contain Female Chromosomes and thus grow female plants.

i found this on a sight but ive heard pf people spraying a kind of hormon on a branch of a female plant forcing a female do be a hermie making female pollen than they fetiliz the seeds

4. From what I've read, you should either pollinate a female w/ a hermie (gives better chance of 100% female seeds) or, ideally, there are some sort of hormones that you can spray on the branch just as "lillytrees" said that will make a 100% female turn hermie where you spray it. This is the way George Cervantes recommends in the "medical bible". If you don't have his latest book, you should pick it up today!

5. /thread. female plant gone hermie pollinates itself = feminized seeds. *hint* lighting stress causes plants to hermie (i.e. light schedule changing)

6. a hermie that pollinates itself produces female and hermie seeds. if you pollinate a female with a hermie it breeds out the hermie genes somewhat. ex. a pollinated hermie will produce 50% females, a female pollinated by a hermie will produce 75% female seeds. inbreeding is the key

7. seems pretty easy to get that 75% fems
    have anyone tryed it?
    dont know why but i dont want to be the first one)

8. dont quote me on this but my m8 knows a grower that i dont and he says he germenated 20 unfemed seeds and sprayed them with a birth controle pill crshed in water he says he got 20 fems i was tempted to try it on my most recent grow but didnt. any 1 hered of this or know if its possible

9. ya to the poster above i have heard of soaking seeds in crushed estrogen pills and water

10. Someone who has made female seeds please reply. how do we do it?

11. Do a search for "colloidal silver" over at the ic forums. Not much on it here though.

This thread tells you about it at the bottom of the first post
    http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=60610&highlight=colloidal+silver

It looks like this method would work easiest if you bought feminized seeds and then used the silver to force the male pollen nodes to form. You would then pollinate the female plant from feminized seeds with the male pollen from the same plant, called 'Selfing" as the original poster mentions.

Ideally this gives you seeds from a feminized seed female and should result in a high number of female seeds.

This is the info I have found just lightly browsing the subject, I am sure there is alot more about it our there. I'm not even sure if this works as I have never tried it before myself, but it seems like something that wouldn't be too much trouble to experiment with :smoking:

12. here is another, check post #2 about why the above described method should give you only female seeds.

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=91476&highlight=colloidal+silver

Credit to PhenoMenal for this quote :wave:

13. you take the branches of a male plant throw that shit in a bag shake it up collect the pollen put it in a film canister or a container of choice and when your ready just spread that shit on a female branch and Whammmy! you get seeds, so i figure the same thing can work from a stressed female plant that grows bananas just use the pollen to knock up the female plant all all seeds will produce 100% females

14. #16 njfrog, Feb 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
    :wave:ive herd of two ways to it,i have not tried either.1)the spray everyone is talking about is called "gibberellic acid" your sapost to spray it on your fav. plant (i think in the 7 mounth) and saround the plant with other fem.s the plant you spraid will grow taller and branch out over sarounding fem.s,pollinate them and by the time you harvest,you should have 100% fem. 100%herm. free seeds 2)this is "light stress" i think it was 1 week into bloom you trun the light on for one hour in the dark part of your 12/12 but only for one week.when its time to harvest you should have 100%fem100%herm. free seeds...the hole thing is,is you have no male chromosomes interduest into this hole picture.I hope this helps:smoking::wave:

15. The process for producing 99.9% female seeds is a bit more complicated than just using chemicals to reverse the sex of a female plant. This process will work, but will also give you a precetnage of hermies.

A reputable breeder uses a batch F1 female plants. Light stressing them throughout eliminating the ones that turn hermie. There is 1/50 ratio where out of 50 plants, one will stand true female ragrdles of how much light stress she receives. They then clne this female and make her the mother. They take cuts from her which will be the seed bearers; the mother is then they induce reversal to force her to produce males pods to collect pollen from. These seeds are 99.9% female, however they will still be more sensitive to light and other stress which can make them hermie.

Another technique used is taking cuts from a selected female, then allowing her to go 2 weeks or so pas her due date. She will pop some male pods and the pollen collected to pollinate the cuts taken from her. The resulting seeds are then 99.9% female; and same as above, it will still be prone to sensitivity issues.

16. in refrence to sensitivity issues , what strains would be more prone to stay female throughout a stress like monster cropping?
    this is pretty cool how the most resitent female once manipulated will have more sensitive offspring .
    my gut told me to buy regular seeds n i'm glad i did .

17. #19 lessismore, Feb 17, 2010

Actually, the most resistent female will have the least resistent offspring. However, we must remember that they will still be sensitive to stress. In these terms, you now see how just taking any female plant, reversing her, then pollinating her clones will give even more sensitivity. That was my point. If we just take any female plant, the chances are greater it will be even more sensitive, if not turn hermie at the slightest sign of stress. That is why breeders use one and/or both of the techniques I expained. It is much like breeding, with selection you are using the best of the best, so to speak, so you have improved your odds for producing a successful cross. However, if you just cross any female with any male, you may end up with less than favorable results. Not all strains take well to feminization, just as some strains do not take well to being bred with other strains.

You can find a resistent female in any strain; just some have greater ratios for success and other do not fair so well. World Of Seeds has what they call a Old World Thai land race feminised; yet Thai strains are the most inconsistent sexually speaking. This tells an experenced grower that it has to be crosed with something more stable for they bred out the recessive traits most true land race Thai express; one of them is being very prone to hermie.

18. #20 jiggaboojones, Feb 17, 2010
    wow thats an eye opener .now i know why some banks charge alot more(almost double) for regular seeds as oppose to most online banks(who charge more for femnzd).

i was told starting out (useing bag seed )that the offspring were going to be better with every generation. this doesnt seem to be true at all after hearing this and, for the record not one of ten seeds was male. made me wonder where they originated. also only one out of the ten was a super plant with great bush and branching from the start .