How do you know what you want to do??

Discussion in 'General' started by BEEJAYJAY420TAP, Jul 10, 2010.

1. I have a question for the blades out there.

I am a materialistic person to a degree i cant help it im an only child and was adopted at birth so its like i was never adopted and they are my real parents but iv been pretty spoiled my entire life getting away with murder etc..

but im in college right now and i cant figure out what i want to do with the rest of my life and i need to make a decision soon.

how do you decide if you want to contribute something to humanity or if you just want materialistic things to be happy?

Like, I really want to matter in life. I want to be remembered for contributing something useful to this world. right now im on track at kennesaw state to transfer into GA TECHS engineering school next year which i dont plan on stopping at. I plan on going to school as long as i can afford it all the way up to PhD because i have so many amazing ideas that i just need direction and the schooling to make it possible. I want to have something to do with the space program or design some great invention that will change the world forever. Or even maybe be a doctor that saves livees every day. I have a wierd way of looking out on life and it goes like this. If your not doing something that matters you might as well not do anything at all and its kind of hard to explain how i feel. does anyone else feel this way? I dream of working 70 hours a week to discover new things at a impressive career or designing some new medical device, or even surgery. how do i know that this is what i really want to do and not just a pipe dream?

I also do jiu jitsu. I am absolutley in love with this sport and you will not find me happier than on the mat rolling or competing. There is a guy at this gym that had a good paying 70k a year job as a mech eng. dropped it, lives on credit, no job, trains like a freak, and moved here to train ( we have a world famous gym/instructor) he just won the world championships at his skill level in cali. How do i know this is not what i should do if jiu jitsu truley makes me happy? even the best in the world currently dont make a better living than anyone else but at least they are doing what they love?

getting the education needed to fulfill my dreams is like another 10 years i believe so how do i know thats what i really want to do or should i just get a cookie cutter degree and try to find a 9-5 and do the rat race thing??

SO, to anyone that is truley 100% happy with where there life has taken them please give me some insight.

just a rant, not coherent prob lot of mistakes dont flame please thanks

2. All i will say is

You got your whole life to live, learn and decide what you truly want to do wit your life and what makes you truly happy.

Materials dont bring happiness and materials wont give you meaning.

3. I was in college for a total of almost 7 years. And yes I studied more than one thing and I finished everything I started.

I learned alot of things.

Not nearly as much as I learned travelling all over the place for 5 years before I went to college.

I've always said this even since I was a kid, (which may seem strange).

BUT....so long as your sense of happiness and well being is dependent on something outside of you, then you always run the risk of having the world outside you tamper with how you feel.

You have to be happy, and I mean 100%, from the inside. The world doesn't change. You have to keep a good view of it to be satisfied in it.

If you've got the money, time, and aptitude for alot of education, you'd be screwing yourself not to go after it.

4. I'm about to start school for EMS, and after I finish that I plan on joining the military to become a helicopter pilot..

No way to afford pilot training without the military, so it's my only choice.... After that I'll have to do low end pilot jobs to get more flight hours, probably just become an instructor somewhere but there are other options...

And after I get all my hours I hope to be a EMS Pilot, working at a hospital where ever I choose to live.

Why? I've always been fascinated with flying, especially helicopters, and I want to help people, maybe keep some alive that would have died without my help..

And hey, I'll be making bank to buy all the nice things I want.. Up until now I haven't really had much, grew up in poverty, pretty poor now, hoping to break the cycle and be able to give myself what I want.

5. #5 Smoked365, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2010
    Hey man,

I'd say alot of what you're sayin' is mostly just your youth talkin'....

Life is a Journey, not a destination and you'll only ever 'know' where you've been; and won't ever know where you're going.............until you get there. (i know, tons of cliches, but so true)

It sounds like you've figured out quite a bit about where you've been, and it already sounds like you've figured out that you're lookin' to "go" somewhere else.

s

(previous poster nailed it; if you're waitin for someone else to make you happy, you should buy a really comfy chair, and something to read.....while ya wait........

6. My dad's an electrical engineer, I love math and science, so I am getting my 2 degrees in electrical and computer engineering. I also want to go to med school and develop lifelike prosthetic limbs for people.

All of that came to me one day when I was talking to my m8 over a blunt.

7. I had a similar enlightenment hirah when i was smoking. I had never been to college, i was a mechanic making decent cash tho. I was stoned and i just started thinking i could do so much more with my life. now im on hope scholorship and have good grades and am going to a good engineering school next year. man weed does things to ya!

I guess im just confused and ill just have to go for it and if i don't like it im still young enough to go back to school for something else. you cant have too many degrees can you haha??

8. thanks for the kind words guys

9. Weed helped me decide what I wanted to do to, makes you imagine and hope more I suppose

10. Do whatever makes you happy. That is the most important thing. I'm also adopted and kinda spoiled and faced the same delema. I am now a firefighter trainee and I haven't looked back.