How do you gain complete mastery of mind?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by YEM, Nov 23, 2013.

1. By knowing no mind

2. Complete and long term sobriety.

Train your subconcence first with the simple breathing exercises. take control of things you do without thinking.

3. #3 Boats And Hoes, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
    I disagree. By precisely coming to know 'mind' - do we gain mastery. For, how can you know what you got until you KNOW exactly what it is that you really got?

One cannot know one's own true power or potential until they recognize it as such. Inotherwords, it's an acknowledgement; and not a negligent endeavor - as you (and a lot of eastern thought) suggest.

4. Deep meditation on Truth.

5. relax, strengthen your mind, and most importantly God... it's not going to be easy but God doesn't want pussies that can't handle the shit that life puts you through.

6. The body is wild, and the mind is foolish. Practicing egotism, selfishness and conceit, your life is passing away.
    - Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

O mind, there is only the One medicine, mantra and healing herb – center your consciousness firmly on the One Lord. Take to the Lord, the Destroyer of the sins and karma of past incarnations.

He is not obtained by mouthing mere words, but by rooting out ego from within. Meeting the True Guru, one is permeated forever with the Fear of God, who Himself comes to dwell within the mind.

The egotistical are engrossed in egotism, ensnared by the intellect of the mind.

7. a few years in ad seg

8. If you look to the left, you'll see the right.

9. #9 White Indian, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2013
    Ah, yes. Good ol' Matthew 20:21: "teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. So stop being such pussies and grow a pair. Jesus Christ." That was always one of my favorite Bible verses too.

10. OHHOH OHO HOHOH OHO HHO OH

It's morse code for "banana"

11. I agree with that YEM. But what is no mind? Don't I need a mind to even consider the question?

are you logically debating this

13. Are you actually answering me?

14. I might actually go to bible college because things are starting to make sense, and I never understood exactly what Jesus commanded us or what exactly why matthew and mark are the same stories.

15. to be a master of the mind you must surrender to the mind..
    the divinity within knows how to utilize the brain with efficiency in ways I could not consciously describe 

is that what you mean by 'no mind'?
    where there is no obstruction by ordinary thoughts that would otherwise enable you from accessing the source of all consciousness?

16. When one is truly present, there can be no mind, no sense of self, only the experience one is experiencing. There is no commentator, no censor, no ego, nothing to interfere with what is actually happening. In the moment of actual now, there is a kind of merging of experience and presence to create something real and mind-free.

I'm not talking about those Adrenaline-fuelled moments as you jump from a plane or fall off a bridge with an elastic band tied round your ankles (although that will do the job of course) to bring you into the moment where nothing else exists. I mean more to walk in nature and see the world around you without naming it. To let go of all sense of where you are and why, who you are, or where you're going. This is no-mind too, not something thrust upon you as you go into what is basically survival mode, but something cultivated, more akin to meditation, that moves it from the seated stillness with eyes closed, into a moving collaboration between the inner and the outer. Dropping from a plane requires no discipline - doing it will focus everything into the moment beautifully. But finding that inner space while walking through the woods with the same sense of presence, now that is something else.

The meaning of my post was that this thread is just skillful means. The literal meaning of the words in the OP are not the primary issue.

18. What is the primary issue?

19. Im liking this thread. It sure does begin to connect some more dots in my subconscious
    I have many theories but valid theories

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. #20 Boats And Hoes, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013

The ego is not the mind; even though it can't manifest itself amongst the contents of the mind. Sifting requires a resolute and determined mind.. man is not 'nothingness' - but spirit. Inotherwords, invisible as the thoughts we can't tangibly discern.