Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How do you define reality?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by weedzilla420, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Is reality what we think is going on or what is really going on? So do we know what is really going on or do we just think we do. I was driving down the road the other day at like 2 am thinking about this. Could everything I know about my life up to this point just be a dream? This shit is driving me crazy. BTW-watching FALILV rite now...happy toking

2. re·al·i·ty ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-l-t)
    n. pl. re·al·i·ties
    The quality or state of being actual or true.
    One, such as a person, an entity, or an event, that is actual: “the weight of history and political realities” (Benno C. Schmidt, Jr.).
    The totality of all things possessing actuality, existence, or essence.
    That which exists objectively and in fact: Your observations do not seem to be about reality.

dictionary.com does a good enough job for me :D

you stoners think of some weird things when high...

3. ..................... pain

:smoke: absonce of pain = high

wtf dose that tell ya :D

Edit:

holy crap :eek: my dude must sleep like 20 flipen hours a day.. i gota find that guy and smack him for being so lazy :D

4. reality, what if there was no reality? what if reality didnt exist. imagine that. Imagine if existance didnt exist. imagine that.

5. "Today, young men on acid realize that all is merely energy
    condensed through a slow vibration, that we are all one
    conciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no
    such thing as death, life is only a dream in with imagination
    of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather..."

There's a little stoned mindfuck for ya ;)

6. Basically, the bottom line is, we don't know exactly what reality is. We perceive reality through the use of our five main senses: taste, smell, touch, sight, and sound. The thing is, all of the information collected by our sensory inputs is passed to our brain and filtered subconciously before you ever start any higher-level process to interpret it.

It is totally, wholely, and completely impossible to percieve everything that there is to percieve, therefore it is impossible to fully comprehend reality, no matter how hard you try.

The question, though, is wether we're actually feeling, tasting, smelling, hearing, or seeing anything "real" at all. Well, in once sense, it is very much real because it's obviously there, we can see, taste, hear, touch, and smell it. SO the underlying question is, how can we trust our senses to be giving us accrate data? Honestly, we can't. We just don't have any other data to go on besides what our senses are giving us, in essense, reality is nothing more then how our senses interpret the world.

It is certainly possible, although I like to think very improbable, that our senses don't actually exist, that our brains are getting input from some other source, and that the world around us isn't really there. How can we tell? All we know is what information we have coming into our brains. Think "The Matrix."

One thing, though, that I do know, is that my reality isn't the same as your reality because all reality must be interpreted through perception, and everyone's perception is a little different, based on all the past expierences each person has had in their life. Everything you do changes your perception just a little, and in doing so, essentially changes your reality.

7. Very good stuff pot geek!

One thing I often pondered, and I want to bring up next time I'm stoned with some smart people, is what if what you percieve as "correct colors" as in what looks like red is red... or mabye to another person what they see would look totally inverted to you... I'm really not clear on it and I only have a vague idea of what I'm talking about... and it sounds like a great stoner discussion.

8. Shit. Most people need pot to think of this stuff??? I thought about that color thing LONG before I smoked pot.

bw2geek: I know exactly what you're trying to say. How do we know that what I see as "green" you see as the same color? What looks "green" to me, might look to you like the color that I call "blue," but it's still "green" because that's what we've named it, and to you, in your perception of reality, you see that color and it's called green. How do we know that we all see the same colors the same way?

BTW, just for the record, I'm actually *not* stoned right now, nor have I been in the last 23 hours. :)

9. Heh, same here. I'm sort of sad to say I haven't had any really crazy ideas when I've been high. I once told my friend i was riding a "wooden speed deamon roller coaster of high" and had him laugh in my face and scream about how high he was.

The same "what color is what" argument can be applied to the taste of things too. What tastes like orange to me might taste like steak to you! How do we know what chicken really tastes like?

Now that I think about it... the Wachowski Brothers HAD to be potheads! Haha!

10. I'll go with the dictionary definition. Reality is too confusing to think about.

11. okay like ive always said wait wrote wait said .........what?

12. oo boy, too much for me to think aboot lol!

i just live my life the best i can, enjoy my kids while i can, and that's reality for me.

13. American Idol is as real as it gets.

14. a bunch of people knowing/seeing/hearing/smelling/touching the same shit. You know, whatever we can all see or whatever and etc, is real. Only one of us can see, etc, its not real.

Has anyon ever seen the same hallucination at the same time as someone else?

15. what if the way i see green isnt the same as everyone else. the way i saw colores and heard sounds wasnt the same, but it all somehow worked out, where everyone knew what was going on.

for example, someone sees blue the way i see yellow.
    so when i say hey look at that blue car.. i am seeing blue, they are seeing yellow, someone else is seeing red, someone else is seeing green, etc. but it all works out. i bet thats how it is.

16. if you watch american idol, someoone should show you the buissness end of a 2X4 damn quick

17. ^^ My mom watches american idol asshole.....

:D Don't worry, Be Happy

18. lol
    nice, dude, nice

19. i have always thought about th e color thingy

20. i have always thought about th e color thingy
    like how would u describe the color of this background?