How do you deal with coco coir overflow?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by indoornewb, May 25, 2021.

1. Constantly watering coco is a pain in the ass. What's more is the water not evaporating in the pot trays and overflowing.. how do you guys deal with overflow? I bought a small pump to suck it out but it keeps blocking up. Now I've resorted to watering the plants outside the tent into a large bucket and emptying that bucket. What a mission! Should I just get bigger trays?

2. that sounds like a pickle. id either get a bigger tray or drill holes and plug so i can put a tray underneath to drain. i grow in soil never had this issue just an idea good luck bud or maybe a syphon. you could always get a turkey baster or pipette and call it a weekend

3. wets and dry hoover works a treat for me

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Incline drip tray.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. I simply use a battery powered liquid transfer pump to suck the water out of the trays.
    The key to keeping it from getting it clogged up is - when you are done dealing with the runofff, suck some clean water up through the pump to clean it out.

cferpump.jpg

6. With a H/T to Mick, I modeled my tent after his and that 3x3 Botanica drain pan is a great help. I drilled a 1" hole near the bottom on the side and although that location doesn't drain all of the runoff, it drains enough. And I went with the bigger sized ball cock valve thinking some coco might clog it up, so far no problems with runoff.

I drilled another hole in a translucent 5 gallon bucket and fitted it with a brew masters spigot connected to some tubing and attached to Hydro Halo's. which work great.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. They all sound like great ideas, I've got a electric syphon pump. It keeps getting clogged! But that's handy cause I can use it to disperse my water into my jugs while I'm mixing nutes. I like the tray idea. That will be my next project. But for the mean time I bought a massive 500ml syringe that should do the job for now.