how do seeds work?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Gardner2, Nov 21, 2016.

1. I'm interested in starting seedlings from seeds. My question is, bagged pot comes from females that develop without the presence of males to fertilize them. So, the seeds will sprout, yes?

IOW, marijuana doesn't necessarily need males in order to produce fertile seeds?

2. Hmmm. perhaps a botanist would know. I do know that male pollen produces seed on the female flower. There is no better place to ask, because GC has a plethura of growers. I'm interested in that same question myself.

EDIT: If you are talking about a few hermie seeds, that is fairly common. I suspect you are talking about a way to get plants to produce a lot of seeds without pollinization. But that seems to go against the laws of nature.

3. I'm not trying to get plants with a lot of seeds on them. I'm trying to grow them from regular seeds you get in a back of dealer pot.

So when you buy weed, it has seeds in it, so 1) are they fertile and 2) if they are then females don't need to be fertilized in order to produce viable seeds?

4. The only way to find out is to plant them. They are healthy mature seeds then they will sprout, good luck Billy.

5. If you have a seed then it IS in FACT fertilize via pollination. It's as simple as that no pollination equals NO seed. When pollinated by a standard male you will have seeds that will produce both male and female plants. Now to produce feminized seeds which will only produce female plants you will start with a known female plant using a process such as CS reversal you force the FEMALE plant to produce MALE stamens with only FEMALE pollen.

• Like Like x 1
  6. If you're getting your seeds from your bag of pot then there's a good chance that it's a fertilized female. Bagged pot doesn't mean anything other than someone bagged up some pot, it could be sin semilla (Spanish for seedless...unfertilized female) or they could have seeds from hermying or being fertilized.

7. Thanks for all the replies. I thought all pot was grown in careful grow rooms where the males were weeded out and discarded. So then if you gt weed with seeds in it, then it might be from Mexico or something, and not grown locally indoors by someone who knows what they're doing.

8. Squeeze the seeds between your thumb and fore finger one at a time. If it pops, it's garbage. If it's solid, plant it.

Edit: Don't go squeeze crazy and squeeze too hard or you'll bust every one

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. More often that not...yes you can plant and grow them....if they happen to be females....in order to get seeds yes...you would have to pollinate it....unless you turned it hermie and let it "screw" itself....FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND

10. This is true, just chopped down a Hermie

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. this ^^^, cs = colloidal silver

12. @Gardner2
    True 70s outdoor Mexican brick weed that was half seeds is more rare then ever.. It was open pollination and ran about 50-50 boys and girls..
    Most of what you find now is a single seed in say a 1/4 to a full ounce if you find one at all.. That is the last ditch effort of the plant to reproduce and she only has her own genetic material to work with so the few seeds you find are always female and highly prized personally.. It's that single seed that has saved more then a few of my strains when the clones failed to take.. If you can find a banana on her it can also be used to pollinate another female of a different strain again getting you female seeds.. I've never found a nanner on my plants so they should be very rare and hard to find if at all..
    What you don't want is a plant that goes that way early as she'll have time to fully seed and will pass that trait on to her offspring.. If you can find the nanners and it's not the last week of flower it's not a keeper strain.. I've had 2 that cropped up.. One in seed and the other was a dispensary clone. (bastards) In both cases they were covered in seeds by mid flower and contaminated the plants next to them.. Hashed the side plants and trashed the hermis..
    If you find a plant like that burn it immediately..
    In general if it's just a couple of seeds fire them off as the odds are high they are naturally feminized.. My Blue Berry dependably spits a couple seed that I'll find in the bottom of her jar when I empty it and they are always female..
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  13. that's interesting thank you for sharing

14. You know that makes me wonder a minute...I have this guy that's helping me with some chores, he's collected seeds for ages, he's got a shitload, I did read about how to sex seeds, and I happened to look closely at his seed jar and I'd be damned if I could find any males, I'm not kidding they all have the little raised volcano hole on the end. Just something I found odd as I'll be growing my weed and this kind of trivia sticks in my head when I'm interested in something. I'm not saying he doesn't have any male seeds, I just couldn't identify them. I'm going over to see him soon and Imma look again. I want to be able to sex them cause that's the kinda guy I am.

15. identifying seeds sexuality is impossible, unless it's a known feminized, there's no way to tell based on shape

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1