how do i water my plants from a stream a few feet away from them?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by michaelangello, Jul 26, 2011.

1. im new to outdoor growing and really know nothing, all i know is i have a spot where i want to grow and its by a stream, im going to germinate the seeds, then stick them in the soil and when they get big enough i want the stream to be able to water them so how do i do it

2. Ok, read my post entitled Gnarly creek water... i use it and i love it, just fill ur buckets, watering cans, what have you...if its clear and flowing, should be good. might want to pH test it first if its weird water. Dont plant too close to the stream, ur roots will be saturated 24/7 and that aint good at all...plus creekside soils can be clay heavy, and unsuitable for a wide array of other reasons, too. I have holes spread out in the brush up the slope from my creek, brought in high-end soil blends and I water manually(buckets) 1-2xweek, nutrients 1xweek... But u could rig a gravity feed drip system using a reservoir, tubing? Research, fuck up a few times and dont worry!
    another way to get water to ur girls(from one of the crustiest hippy growers in the known universe, at least that Ive met) is a wick of that very tufty, white nylon rope(the 1in. diameter shit for big boats) inserted thru a hole in the bottom of a container of soil. if the containers r placed close enuff to the water,maybe 6-8ft., the plants roots will grow around and thru the coil of fluffy, tufty rope in the bottom of ur container. Wicked containers have to be watered manually at first, until the roots develop into/around the rope and are able to basically siphon the water out of the creek as needed. I have used this method several times with varying degrees of success/failure.
    My concern is ur starting those seeds waaay too late, vegatative growth period is nearly over and ur plants wont have enuff time to grow before they flower.... shoot for next year and get em outdoors after nighttime temps are warm enuff in spring...

3. If they are really close to the stream, the ground should be wet enough to sustain them. You could try the wick method where you have a thick rope coming out the bottom or a container and going down to the water. The water soaks up the rope and into your soil. I'm sure there are ways to rig hoses and stuff, but I'm not the best as that shit, lol.