How do i use hps lights in a grow box?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ogderp, Nov 26, 2012.

1. I'm going to be making a grow box by bolting two 45 gallon rubbermaid tubs together, and I'm debating on wether to use cfls or hps when it comes time to flower. I don't know too much about hps lights, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on using them in a grow box.

2. sounds like for your situation, i'd go with a cfl setup. they're cheaper--both to buy and run, provide good results for a small grow, and produce less heat.

3. Yeah that's what I think I'll probably do, it will be a lot easier than hassling with an hps setup. Do you know what stores I could find the warm cfls for flowering? I've looked at a few different hardware stores, but none them sell the warm cfls only the daylight.

4. hydroponic store. just google and they'll bring up the ones in your area.

5. you want daylight bulbs for veg, soft white bulbs for flower. Home depot has 4-packs of 26w daylights for $12, 6-packs of soft whites for the same price. $25 for the bulbs, $10 or so for the hardware, $10 for the fan... and you're growing. I threw something together for a bonsai mother I had... cardboard box, fan, cfls... literally cost me nothing since I had it all lying around. there's a wiring tutorial in my first blog for this kind of thing if you're interested.

Don't put too much into a cfl grow, they really don't need much and you'll find that you've wasted your money if you invest in activated carbon, duct boosters/pc fans, etc etc. By the time it's all said and done you could've bought a decent light in the first place, and your duct booster/pc fans won't move much air at all with a filter on them, leading to heat issues... I recommend against diving into a fully-equipped cfl grow but if you do... save your receipts.

Personally, I'd recommend a 150w hps.