How do I nourish an organic plant?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by motoxer, Jan 4, 2016.

1. #1 motoxer, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
    my last organic plant did really well in veg but then on the last 3 weeks of flower all them pretty buds just burned and turned brown. They dried up like there was a heat lamp on them and the lights were not to close... I blame this to me because I was not feeding that plant anything but water. I believed I just starved it out. I don't want dejavue...because right now I have a beautiful c99 sativa doing very well in its 3rd week of veg. How do I make these teas and what not? I wanna keep it simple as where just dealing with a single plant I'm growing in my closet. (Still in a illegal state and work a job that is very liberal with drug tests)
    Here is what I already have
    Aerator
    Bucket
    Kelp meal
    Fish bone mea
    Tomato tone
    Worm castings
    Alphafa leaves
    Blood meal
    Rock dust
    How do I keep this sativa nourished with this stuff. Is it as easy as putting it in a bucket with water and watering with it

2. You need some Fish Bone meal and something with calcium, crushed or powdered oyster shell maybe. I'd also add some high P bird guano.
    Add some lime to that, and I believe all the basics are covered and then over time you could build from there if you want with things like Feathermeal, High N bat or bird guano, green sand, azomite.

3. you should read the first 50 pages of the no-till and the beginners soil mix threads (both are pinned in the organic section).
    it has all the info you need on how to create your own soil and making SSTs, kelp and neem teas.

HPH

4. First things first - what are your plants growing in right now? Soil? What kind? Homemade? Amended store-bought soil?

The organic nutrients you posted are not water soluble - they need to break down in order for your plant (soil) to be able to use them, and the best way to go about this is to have them mixed directly into your soil.

J

5. it's in a simple 4 gallon pot. Dirt that I amended myself using the advise in the sticky in this forum. I already have fish bone meal, I edited it in my list. What should I use for calcium and and what's a good brand of guano?

I also don't understand how I would mix anything in my soil since it all just turns into one soid root ball mass. Mixing stuff in would just not be possible, especially later in the grow. Pot is just too small.

6. #6 Skunk_e_Bud, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
    You'll need to mix it all and get it damp and then let it cook that stuff into the dirt. You don't ever want to use raw materials in your potting mix without cooking it for a good month before putting any plants in it (spikes are a bit different, and are no substitute for a good base mix). As the material breaks down it does crazy things to ph and also generates heat, which is bad for roots.

You'll definitely want to check out the stickies at the top of this forum, or pick up a good book. True Living Organics by The Rev is a good system.

You'll also need some sort of base potting soil along with all those materials. The potting soil is what you'll be adding all these nutrients into, get it damp, let it set for at least a month. A month might not even be long enough and if the material is still hot from decomposition, it's not done. After that though, you will have a soil that can take you through to harvest with nothing more than water!

Edit: You'll need perlite as well. I cook my soil and THEN add the perlite right before I transplant into the soil. This keeps the perlite from breaking down as fast. One other thing, you'll be able to reuse this soil after the grow by just adding some of your materials back to the soil and cooking it again. Takes an investment up front, but once you have that soil rolling it just gets better with age.

7. I appreciate your response skunk e bud, but I already have the base soil cooked and the grow on the way. It's already 6 inches tall about. Was just trying to figure out how to feed it the simplest way possible. Was trying to avoid wading thro all the information on here. I tried just water on the last organic grow and towards the end if the grow she just simply burned up and I had to toss about half the bud in the trash.

8. #8 pomansouth01, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
    Look at post number 3 by Sc00byD00bie....It is the best answer you can get. You may have to "wade" through a little bit of material, but it's actually a good read and the information is abundant!!

9. if your soil is good you dont need to feed. we dont feed plants in organics.
    a plant can take weeks to finish, reading 50 pages takes less then a day. go read those threads man, you will thank me later.

peace!

10. I don't know know if I buy the "nothing but water" bs... It didn't work last time so why would it work this time. My soil is good because it does really good in the beginning but then goes to shit later on. Maybe if I used a pot double the size I could get away with just water. But I used the same pot so I guess this grow was doomed from the start.

11. #11 Sc00byD00bie, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016

a plant needs change during its life cycle, just because your plants are ok during veg does not mean your soil is necessarily good enough for the whole cycle. running water only with a proper soil is not only doable but also pretty simple.
    i pointed you in the right direction, good luck with your garden.

12. ""nothing but water"bs".....the words in this quote are "bs"....If you want to feed your plants....you need to attend a chemical forum....we have a much different idea in here....and if you would just go look where Sc00byD00bie directed you....you would KNOW....it is up to you, but asking how to feed plants here is like walking into a coffee shop looking for a big fat Juicy ribeye

13. And get a fan to blow lightly onto your plants and check your humidity while you grow....your plants previously failed probably due to bud rot and not lack of nourishment IMO. Over the summer I did my first ever grow with essentially no nutritional amendments in 90 to 105 degree heat and still managed pretty solid bud. When i say no nutritional amendments i mean straight miracle grow Nature's Care organic soil....only thing burnt was my fan leaves from the bottom up because the plant was eating itself

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

14. I did have humidity and temp in check and did have a small desk fan blowing on her. Nothing got out of hand. In matter of fact it was ideal. Other than all the dying fan leaves it finished much faster than it was supposed to leading me to believe it knew it was going to die soon. The only thing that changed is absolutely nothing, which is why I think it starved. BUT... This is biology that we are talking about here, so there are a bunch of thing that could have happened that I wouldn't have any clue about, so I am not saying you all are wrong, not at all. It's just me trying to learn from my mistakes. It just makes sense in my mind that a plant could be capable of sucking all the life out of 4 gallons of soil that was meant to be in an unlimited amount of soil (outdoor). And I am reading the threads btw.

15. The term you're looking for here is "Top Dress(ing)".

No, what you add to the initial mix is not going to last from start to finish. Just like trying to drive 900 miles on one tank of gas, not gonna happen and you'll need to top off the tank at some point.

It's just adding smaller amounts of amendments to the top (surface) of the mix, scratching it in if you can, and regular watering takes care of the rest. The No Till thread goes into more detail, but it's pretty simple and straightforward.

Wet

16. #16 BrassNwood, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2016
    Since I've been running in a trio of 5 gallon SIPs (self irrigating planter) that only hold about 3 gallons of soil and 2 gallon of water for several years with an organic water only with no top dressings my guess is that your plant died from some other cause.. It's certainly more then possible to finish a full flower cycle in less then 5 gallons..
    [​IMG]
    About 4th week of flower outside in winter in So Cal..
    The only thing I do now is a handful of powdered malted barley tossed under the plants in flower every week or two..
    Re-amend between runs and slam a fresh plant to flower in the same pot the next day..
    My 2 cents..
    BNW

17. OP, what did you use for compost or worm castings in your mix, and at about what percentage?

J

18. no idea was 2 years ago. But I probably use 30% ewc. What would you say is the cream of the crop ewc? And I have to be able to get it on eBay.

19. Clarify this part real quick. Did you only add worm castings ONCE 2 years ago and nothing since?

20. lol no the particularl failed grow that I bring up took place 2 years ago And took place in a normal timeline. I only grow in the winter And the grow last winter I had to abort so the failed grow I bring up in this thread was my last grow...besides the current grow I talk of now.