how do i make a male plant?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by greenbudguy, Oct 7, 2011.

1. I know stress on a female will cause hermies. If I stress a seedling, will I get a male plant? Is there something I can do to increase chances of male?

2. i read a study from somewhere that if you stress the plant out around weeks 2-6 of veg from seed you will have a higher chance of a male. its pretty much hit and miss though..no guarenteed way to get a male same goes for females

3. I had a grow that was outdoor and my seedlings got snowed on. They all survived but every one turned out male. Im not sure if the snow had anything to do with it though.

4. That's what I was thinking too. I will see what my two current Chernobyl seedlings turn out to be, hopefully one will be male and the other female :D

5. Some people do the colloidal silver thing during flowering to induce staminate growth. Don't know squat about it aside from that myself though.

6. [quote name='"sdb12"']I had a grow that was outdoor and my seedlings got snowed on. They all survived but every one turned out male. Im not sure if the snow had anything to do with it though.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that happened but thanks for the info. I want to try and get one male to breed with a female of the same strain to get more seeds. Going to collect pollen and just put some on one of the lower branches to get some seeds stocked up

7. [quote name='"bhp70"']Some people do the colloidal silver thing during flowering to induce staminate growth. Don't know squat about it aside from that myself though.[/quote]

That's for making fem seeds isn't it?

8. im going to be trying the same thing soon... my plan is 18/6 for 2 weeks then just fuck up the lighting as most as possible... 12/12 a few days. few days of dark..few days of all light.. drop the temps to about 45F then pop up to 80F over nute then flush.. try to kill it but just enough to keep it alive. hopefully atleast i can get a herm and get some pollen sacks. i want to breed my 2 fav strains. 1 has a long ass flower cycle and 1 has really short time

9. Yes, true......just a random blurt this out cuz it might apply thing, as I don't know your ultimate goal. If you are trying to start breeding with proper males and females please disregard and apologies.

10. [quote name='"bhp70"']Yes, true......just a random blurt this out cuz it might apply thing, as I don't know your ultimate goal. If you are trying to start breeding with proper males and females please disregard and apologies.[/quote]

No need to apologize bro! Thanks for your input! I do want to try and make regular seeds using male pollen on a female bud

11. [quote name='"Panda85"']im going to be trying the same thing soon... my plan is 18/6 for 2 weeks then just fuck up the lighting as most as possible... 12/12 a few days. few days of dark..few days of all light.. drop the temps to about 45F then pop up to 80F over nute then flush.. try to kill it but just enough to keep it alive. hopefully atleast i can get a herm and get some pollen sacks. i want to breed my 2 fav strains. 1 has a long ass flower cycle and 1 has really short time[/quote]

Doesn't hermi pollen on another female make hermi seeds? From what I understand, a hermi has to pollinate itself to make fem seeds but if it pollinates another female the seeds will be hermi. I could and probably am wrong. Correct me if I am

12. if you still get all females just try to stress the shit out of 1 during the first couple weeks of flower and keep it separate from your other females. when you get a strong female to herm they produce mostly female seeds on their own(feminized seeds) and u know the seeds will be the same strain. or you can chop the pollen sacks once they mature and pollinate another plant with the herm pollen sacks

13. i dont think that is true.. i think its in the genetics... if a plant turns hermi really easy..then you let it self pollinate..then it will continue to be a plant that turns hermi easily.

i could be wrong but i know that the plants i have atm can take quite a beating..so im going to try and get it to go herm and pollinate a different strain, since i have no males of the same strain. some plants herm way to easy and i wouldnt use a plant like that to pollinate another plant. just my opinion

14. Yeah I was thinking if I get both female, I'll just take a clone and make fem seeds. I'm debating between regs and fems. Thoughts?

15. if you can end up with a male..id use that and pollinate single branches on the female. if all female then id use 1 to turn hermi and just use the pollen to still pollinate single branches on a strong female. that way you have some of both... idk how that works though maybe once you get a plant to herm it may make its offspring herm up easier too..thats why i would back cross the pollen back to a nice and strong female. would that make a difference? someone with more experience in breeding could help more than myself. ive always just used male pollen and havent gotten a plant to herm(havent tried yet) but i am interested

16. I'll hit up the hydro store this weekend and ask about fem seeds and breeding

17. i want to try and cross a jet47 ( auto) with a big bud to get a "semi-automatic jumbo jet"
    ive got regular seeds of both coming, any ideas on how to ?

18. I have no idea. I don't know much if anything about autos. I take it the Big Bud is a regular? If so, I'd get a male, collect the pollen and then grow the auto and pollinate it. Once you get the seeds, I'd grow a couple and see what you get. If they turn out to be all autos still, maybe pollinate one again with Big Bud pollen to back cross it with the father again. TGA did something similar but not with autos. Just my thought. No idea if it would work so don't quote me on that but that's what I'd try doing. Just mess around and experiment. I'd do some Google searches on autos and breeding. See what you find

19. [quote name='"greenbudguy"']I have no idea. I don't know much if anything about autos. I take it the Big Bud is a regular? If so, I'd get a male, collect the pollen and then grow the auto and pollinate it. Once you get the seeds, I'd grow a couple and see what you get. If they turn out to be all autos still, maybe pollinate one again with Big Bud pollen to back cross it with the father again. TGA did something similar but not with autos. Just my thought. No idea if it would work so don't quote me on that but that's what I'd try doing. Just mess around and experiment. I'd do some Google searches on autos and breeding. See what you find[/quote]