How do I hang my 6" inline fan in my new tent? HELP?!!!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by dy-no-mite3000, May 20, 2011.

1. I'm busy setting up my new 4'x2'x5' tent, first issue I've run into is my air filter from htg, the tall boy 6" is to long to mount width wise in the tent (front to back). SO my only option is to mount is horizontally and subsequently right next to my 6" cool tube with 600w hps.

Doesn't seem like the end of the world but it's still not how I wanted it to go...:eek: My main issue is where and how do I setup my 6" inline fan?
    All signs point to physically mounting it but that means outside of the tent, no? I've been under the impression and from pics I've seen that it's easy to hang a fan that size inside a tent. So how do I do it?
    Single bungie cord hanging from a support beam connecting to the mounting bracket and that'll also remove a lot of vibration from the fan?
    or?
    Since my tent is only 5 feet tall, could I run my duct work through the vent hole and out to my inline fan outside of the tent?

My plan is to hopefully give it a few days of running to see how my temps work and then pop some Tangerine Dream seeds! I'm sick and tired of growing in my pc, so Sunday is hopefully the day.

Thanks in advance, and first journal in the tent to follow.

2. Where are you exhausting to?

Any pics

3. Or you can do this...

Carbon filter -> ducting -> Cool tube -> ducting -> 6" flange -> 6" fan -> exhaust...

Connect the fan to the flange on the inside and have it on one of the tent support bars with a chain or something. :)

4. i put my fan in the attic so it won't add heat, also cuts down on noise. final decision is up to you, but probably be best outside your tent.

5. #5 dy-no-mite3000, May 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2011
    I set up my tent yesterday. I wasn't around to post the pictures earlier and I appoligize.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/chopsueychris/IMAG0387.jpg

In the end I put my fan inside the tent, while the unit is roughly 12 inches tall, it's almost just as big as my scrubber.
    LST'ing, scrog and sogging will help keep my tight vertical space down too which I already was planning to do from the start.

Right now I'm going to be venting with the ductwork out a window and I ended up hanging the fan on one of the light support beams that came with my tent, and installed wire cabling to support the weight of the light.

Attached Files:

6. what tent did you get? i just got mine and its the exact same dimensions

7. Mount the fan to the wall outside of the tent. You'll love the extra space. Or at least I do.

8. I have to either get a muffler or a fan speed controller because eventhough it's 3 times more powerful than my 6" booster fan I use on my pc, it sounds 10x louder.

If I mount my fan ouside the tent, am I really gaining more space? Both the fan and carbon scrubber are hung above the light, and even when I move the light as high as it will go (~6" from the top of the tent) it doesn't seem like I'm losing much space... then again seeing my pcplant in the tent all alone makes merealize how cramped for space I was to begin with.

miscbrah:I got my tent off ebay :) The image mentioned it was GYO supplies, but I got it from an ledwholeseller there for ~85 with free shipping. Freed up the cash to go for the 600w over the 400w :)

9. Go with the muffler. Not all fans are meant to be controlled by a speed controller. Also the muffler is super easy to make, if your a DIY guy (i made one if you want to know how I can tell you) only cost $30) If you want a super quiet fan place a muffler on the intake side and one on the exhaust side and you'll barely hear it. And I like my fan out side because it makes it much easier to adjust the height of my light. But my tent is 2X2X5. So anything I can do to free up space I was for for me to work in was a plus.

10. I just got the same one man! funny. Are you moving current plants into this tent, or have you not started growing yet. I have 4 plants ive had growing in a 3ftx2.5ftx4ft home made box and they've completely outgrown it. I thought they would all fit inside the new one you and i bought but they dont because even i have more vertical space and horizontal space, i dont have enough depth to the tent. major bummer. thinking about sending it back to get the next size up thats 4x4x6.3ft but shipping would be $20....on top of the $25 extra for the bigger size. ugh :(

11. If you didn't start flowering yet, why not give your girls a heavy hair cut, perhaps take a clone or few to slowly grow over the next 8 weeks while you flower your babies in the new tent?

Also, if you have a hydroshop near you, go look into bushmaster from fox farms, or there is a product from Humboldt's finest that stops all vertical growth, and then they'll only bush out from there. It'll solve the vertical height problems :)

I only moved my PC grow into the tent this past weekend while I am testing my tent out for the final 2 weeks of her grow getting used to my temp controls etc.
    I'm currently running her @ 450w and temps have been comfy @ 79-81 with no exterior air cooling and the temps went into the mid 80's outside today, while she stayed constant.

Attached Files:

12. #12 miscbrah3284, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2011
    damn....450w and sitting at 79-81...nice. How is your humidity? I just bought a 4inch inline fan + carbon filter to go inside the tent with my new 400w hps cool tube.

Im having major humidity issues with my current box, temps are staying between 75-81f with the lights on but the humidity is like 75%!! The only way to keep my humidity down right now is to leave the door open and it drops to the low 50's, high 40's....but I cant do that all day long obviously. That box currently has a 150w hps and no inline fan or exhaust, hopefully when I move the plants into the new box with the 400watter and the inlinefan+carbon filter the humidity and temps wont be an issue

13. I live near the coast and my humidity only spikes when it pour's it seemed in my pc atleast. My fan is pulling to much air though I think, there is alot of negative air pressure in my tent pulling air which is keeping my humidity down too I guess, or I'm lucky.