How do I grow a damn FEMALE?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheFaz, Apr 17, 2008.

1. The first time I grew a plant it was a 3 1/2 foot tall male.
    I'm on my 2nd grow and I'm pretty sure I have another male....

Why does this keep happening?

I heard that too much heat can make a plant male...is that true?

Edit: If I germinate several seeds, how early can I sex them?

2. Think 75 degrees and you'll be good temp wise. I had bad male/female ratio when my temps were too high. What kinda of seeds??? remember it's 50/50 male female aprox. If you had 10 seeds you still have 5 females left in the batch.

3. sounds like your problem could be the fact that it sounds like you are only planting one seed at a time you need to plant at least 5 seeds to get any real chance of getting a female unless they are feminized seeds. Also as long a you keep your grow space where it is supposed to be and don't stress the plants too much you will have a much better chance of getting females.

4. Well, the best way to ensure getting a female is to plant more than one seed. ;)

It has been said that the following 4 criteria will help in getting female plants, from germination:

Blue light
    Lower temperature (65-70 as opposed to 95)
    Higher relative humidity
    Higher ratio of N to P and K in the nutrients.

But again, planting at least 3 plants to get one female would be the fool proof way to go.

5. I've been growing with bag seed. I can only grow one at a time in my grow box though.

6. maybe you had a female and you just didnt know it. always give your plants a chance, at least clone them then flower the clone. if you continously get males, your either a) gay. or b) not irish :)

and if you can at all try to germinate many seeds at one, only if your box can only mature one, better safe then sorry.

Happy Gardening,
    TeXas :hello:

7. i'd say feminised seeds is the best way.

8. It is a fact that if you put a banana in with your seeds for about 2 weeks before germing and even next to them when they are growing seedlings, that the ethylene gas from the banana increases the chance for females by 25%. Some swear they get 90+ percent females.

9. ....that seams a little unrealistic.

10. Is this really true....maby worth a try:confused:

11. IMHO seeds have a predetermined sex before when they are formed. It's in the genes and cannot be changed. Plants can hermie, yes, but that is not a true sex change.

Unless someone has scientific proof otherwise, I believe that all the things people do to influence sex is just voodoo (excluding using true feminised seeds).

I'm definitely open to being shown wrong though...although not with anecdotal evidence.:)

12. why can't you actually smoke male plants?:confused:

13. You can smoke males. Your just gonna be smokin leaves and the taste may not be good, or the buzz for that matter. When I was a kid my neighbor was a grower and he gave me leaves all the time that me and my dopey friends smoked. Harsh as harsh could be, and tasted and smelled nothing like bud but we got a buzz! lol!

14. haha so male plants to not flower or bud??

and what does hermine acctually mean?

15. OK, look at this link in wikipedia. Last line under topic "feminization":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_(drug)_cultivation#Feminized_seeds

"The most common way to feminize seeds is to get a ripening banana which gives off the gas ethylene and leave it in a zip-lock bag with the seeds for fourteen days. (It increases the feminization of seeds up to 25%)"

16. I once made a wikipedia article about myself that said I could walk on walls....

Does that make it true?

Wikipedia is not reliable.

17. You can smoke pencil shavings if you want, you're just not likely to enjoy it. :)

Just kiddin'.

If you've ever seen male flowers and compared them to female bud, the question answers itself. A bud is this dense pack of sticky calyx, hairs and tiny leaves and it dries to this nice smokable mass. Males, on the other hand, grow these tiny little flower groupings that pop, drop their pollen, then dry up to nothing.

The leaf is about the same on males and females, but you don't really want to smoke the leaf. It's the bud that has the punch and tastes good.