how do i cut a circle hole in round bucket

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Grumbledore, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. i need to fit a sealing gland (IWS Sealing Gland) on the side a round bucket and it has to be water tight for my dwc system.

the guy at the hydro store tells me a normal hole saw wont cut a perfect circle on a curved surface and i need a special tool to do it but he couldnt think what. Does anyone know what tool to use? or any way to fit it?

2. a normal hole saw will work just fine. I used a 3/4" diamond bit hole cutter on mine and it doesnt even have the center drill to keep it steady.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cheers mate. And have you connected to a round bucket with no leaks ye?

4. yep, 6 of them. the flange and washers are oversized and take care of the sealing, read the directions on package or website to see the correct prep/ pressure required.

5. i am not sure if the fitting you have is designed for a curved surface though.

6. #6 Grumbledore, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  7. #7 Bongsauce, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    I recommend a step drill bit. I got a cheapo set at harbor freight about 10 years ago and it still works great. Imo it's the easiest way to cut holes in plastic without cracking anything. I've used these for tons of other projects too...great deal, they are usually like $50 each at some box stores. The larger size was perfect for small bulkhead fittings on my old rdwc buckets.

[​IMG]

**I had no issues with leaks or drilling on the curved surface of the bucket. As the bulkhead tightened, it straightened out what small bend there was around the hole. This is the type of fitting I used. 1" inside diameter, and the hole size in the bucket must have been 1" 3/8's
    **oh you are EU. harbor freight is like a big discount tool place/chain.

• Like Like x 1