How do I compost my crap? I'm vegan...

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by sylosis, Jan 19, 2011.

1. So yea I know you usually don't want to compost ominvore/carnivore excriment for various reasons but I am vegan and am wondering if anyone knows a practical way to compost my crap. I have composted on a semi-large scale for my outdoor garden but this would have to be done inside(it's below freezing outside where I am and will be til about march) and I know it's obviously a little different composting crap versus just food scraps and such. I won't neeed much I was just hoping to make enough to maybe make a small top dressing for 1-2 plants and maybe a little tea so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard. Also I'm not only vegan but I eat extremely well, I eat 99% organic 99% gluten free and about 60% raw. Another thing I was gonna see is if anyone new a way to make a really high quality crap for composting I've seen alot of things that people use as soil amendements that I actually eat or take as supplements like kelp powder and flax meal and a bunch of other stuff. Since I can control what I eat and subsequently what's in my crap, I should be able to make some good stuff right? just though i'd get some opinions, I couldn't find muvch on the net.

Also could use some info on doing the fermenting seed teas or w/e I do sprouts regularly so I know how to do that, all I would like is maybe someone letting me know a good short book or could post a link.

THANKS

2. I think you should try it as a folier treatment

3. I sprout any number of grains and then once sprouted I fermented them using a product that contains over 10 lactobacillus strains as well as 4 PNSB bacteria strains (Purple Non-Sulphur Bacteria) for their photosynthesis benefit as opposed to applying specific phytohormones.

YMMV

FLD

4. #4 TexRx, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
    If you have a little money to spend, like $200 to $400 depending on features, try this Nature Mill. Works indoors and by itself. Accepts Up to 5 lbs of food scraps a day. Makes small rich batches every week or two, depending on how much you put in. You can literally empty any food off your plate directly into this unit. Virtually little pre-screening is necessary.
    Here's the Nature Mill website -> http://naturemill.com/

If you want to DIY, try a bin full of store bought compost or wormcastings and mix your scraps in. This can't handle as much food but you could have maybe 2-3 bins to handle a relatively busy kitchen. I stir the bin with a shovel every time I add more material

-pic of garage bin for food scraps-
    [​IMG]

5. #5 Sam87, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
    Well, I love my soil, but I am no where near into it enough to compost my own waste. Probably kill my plants with one shot, considering my diet, hah.

Humanure hasn't really come up much on this board. However, if you take a look around other growing forums, like that one with IC in it's name, you'll find some resources that may be interesting.

Good luck.

6. Vegans are weird.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Sylosis, you certainly don't need another person dinging on ya for this and for the life of me I can't figure out one single good reason why you would want to use human excrement compst on a plant. That said, I try to judge not what others do in life.

I suggest one of either a) doing a search for 'waterless toliet'. Somewhere within that search result you'll find something useful to aid you, or b) crap in a 5 gallon bucket, paper can be included, add a nitrogen source such as an organic complete fertilizer, a compost starter, and cover loosely with a lid to keep bugs out but allow for air/gas exchange. That will do it for ya.

Good luck.

8. Oh my Gawd! "Humanure"... that's killer, absolutely hilarious. Did you come up with that? I'm keeping it, it should be in the dictionary like that.... hahahaha. Thanks.

Hey poster, Japan used it for thousands of years, 'nightsoil' it was called. The island's never had cattle, sheep, goats, no large animals on it at all beside some horses from the 1600's on, it's a fishing and birding society. They used human nightsoil and bird compost to grow the vegtables that kept them alive and their protiens were sea life in small amounts and legumes. With almost vegan diets they did fairly well, with the exception of pinworm, flatworm, ascaries and flukes, but i doubt you'd have those in this era.

9. word
    word
    i was looking for something small and a little more practical, thanks tho.
    thanks mang!
    i eat a vegan diet strictly because when considering all data it appears to be the healthiest diet, i have a 3 year old and would like to be in tip-top shape so i can keep up with him. i agree there are alot of weird vegans, but alot of them are just normal people. keep in mind, it is only a diet...
    yea i saw a little bit about some of the stuff you mentioned when i searched but it's all a little more extravagant than i need, i was only looking to make a little bit. thanks for the input though.

10. thanks for the verification.

11. #11 Fresh Jive, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011

Hahahaha!

No offense but you ARE trying to save and use your own shit!

But you should look up the Vegan Organic Network, they believe that using their own "Humanure" is perfectly acceptable.

12. #12 SkunkPatronus, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011

I am amazed by peoples reactions to the human waste concept, because compost is compost, and all of it decomposes... it's more that vegetarians' make a more vitamin rich one, and it decomposes rapidly and completely, carnivore's manure decomposes more slowly due to it's overall make up and with some residual protiens or something like that, omnivores maure decomposes slower than vegan, faster than carnivore. It's somewhere in between. Stear manure is one that you'd think was vegan, but their diet isn't what you'd think, grass stuffs, it's heavy in aminal waste protiens and is more of a omnivore diet that we feed them. If we composted human waste, instead of 'treating it' and conduating it into the oceans, we'd stop seeing ocean changes like algae 'blooms' and other weird stuff. Refeed the soil with what we are taking from it seems to fit somehow with what the planet process as a whole would be like if humans didn't exist. Animals wouldn't put all the poo's on the continent and direct them all into the closest waterway, after adding some chlorine to kill the microlife. Might as well chuck tankers of concentrated food into the ocean, it's just as artifitial. It might sound friggin weird to some, but human manure, humanure :D is something that really should be composted as able, like septic tanks, especially in big citys where sewer use prevalent. Present concepts have been shown to need change. I wonder why on earth would someone be fully unwilling to use a fully thermally hot composted humnaure but go out and buy steer/bat/chicken/worm manure, but i see it. So that steer taking that big hot steaming dump is much different from a human animal? Chicken shit sounds less noxious, but really, it's that black and white running stuff we use.... as a fully hot thermally processed compost.... it's not different from my thinking. well globally anyway. I have this really LEFT sided brain, and with it I nurse for a living. Plus i love to play devil's advocate.

I predict this thread gets a a lot of traffic, it's an odd one!

13. Call me narrow-minded, but I'm not composting my shit or using others composted shit - vegan or not - for growing anything.

14. Ms SkunkPatronus,

You can take that to the bank......there is another thread on another forum and it's like the Energizer Bunny. Keeps going and going ......... like diahr...(never mind):D

Just for discussion however [ damn I took the bait and swore I wouldn't]......I think if the OP would use Bokashi in the treatment of his/her uhhhh......turds? piles? Well whatever......IMHO, that would probably be the best method considering the frozen environment in which he/she resides.

It would expedite the composting process and since he/she'd be doing it indoors, He/she could save on the Glade room deodorizer or those pesky stick matches:D. That darned Bokashi gets right after the odors.......

At any rate, I was gonna give my .02 cents but probably spent a nickel!!

chunk

15. If bokashi would work, so would Lactobacillus then. So rice wash added to milk, then strain off the flaoting solids from the clear stuff on the bottom 5 days later, add that clear stuff to the waste and it would hydrolyze the turds also.

Hey anybody reading this, someone sent me a link to a grow on another site, and it's using humanure! It's interesting for sure.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=190679

16. Actually many fertilizers are made from 'public or municiple waste' these days, they bottle it and called it something cute and maybe put frogs on it or something and sell if for lots of money. The government had to post their allowing it, here's what the legislature page looks like in Wa:

RCW 70.95J.005: Findings

Apparently it's more about the processing of it and not so much what species of crap the nute companies use. And if it's human it called 'biosludge'

RCW 70.95J.010: Definitions.

But i still don't have anything but plants in my compost bin :eek:

Here is a bigger list of links to rules on fertilizers:
    Chapter 15.54 RCW: Fertilizers, minerals, and limes

As a non-user of bottled anydamnedthing, as probably are you, we don't have waste-derived stuff on our plants...well humanure waste anyhow.

17. wow didn't realize it would go this far... anyways, thanks everybody who posted helpful replies, and to everyone who posted irrelevant meanderings thanks for keeping my post alive. i still could use more ideas, i think alot of the links that are posted are be gonna more info than i need(and there will probably be a fair share of info i don't need), i'm not looking to compost 20lbs a shit in my house, i'm just looking for a SIMPLE EFFICIENT PRACTICAL way to compost a couple loads. thanks again, and if this thread does drag on i say we all try to use new words for a fresh loaf every time just to keep it interesting...

18. I've grown in composted cow excrement that was only amended with (inert) perlite. The plants did very well. The fecal matter came from cows my dad raised and fed. Their diet consisted of grass/chopped corn/grain.

So, unless it has to do with the four stomachs thing, cows and people should be able to produce poop on the same level shouldn't they? In terms of growing potential anyway.

19. I like the idea that people are trying to be more self sufficient and looking for alternative ways to feed their plants but come on!

There are ALWAYS scraps that can be composted, leaves to collect for humus, and manure from grass fed cattle to be properly used.

I see a lot of people saying that it should be the same thing if people and cows have a vegan diet and therefore should produce the same basic compost but...

I know some vegans and they seem to think it is OK to drink alcohol, smoke American Spirits, and to take prescription medication. All of which can be passed through the system and adversely affect the compost.

So would I trust their own composted Hamanure?

Fuck No!

The problem with this is: Cows and Humans are not the same! Humans have completely different pathogens and microorganisms living within them than cows do.

Has anyone ever tried to compost fowl manure? Believe me, the ammount of ammonia and methane produced from any bird waste, if not properly composted can make you VERY Sick!

I think Humanure can be achieved but I would be VERY careful if I were going to attempt it.

And yeah, come on IT IS WEIRD!

20. Wow. That's more info about rotting shit than I ever wanted to know.