*** How Do I Clone To Tell Sex? ***

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by qcrazyq, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Hi,

Can anyone help with info on cloning a plant to determin it's sex?

Can I just clone then stick the clone in a container of good water then run it under the 12/12 light cycle?

Or do I have to clone till roots then plant then flower?

Any info is appreciated!!!
    Pictures and specifics encouraged!!!

Thanks. Peace all!!!:hello:

2. Ok. You can either sex the mother plant first then re-veg it. Or take clones then sex them to know what the mom is. If you clone to sex then you have to wait a few weeks for the clone to roots and then flower it. You may after all those days of waiting find out its a male and then all that time is wasted. No. you should not try to flower the clone before it has established a good rooting system. - You should take the plant your trying to sex and flower it. within 2 weeks (possibley faster) you should see it starting to sex. As soon as you determine that it is female you should put in back in veg. immediately. Depending on the strain the plant will either go back in to veg quickly with little problems or it could keep wanting to flower in which case you'll have to wait longer for the veg cycle to kick back in. If you clone in dirt it can take upwards of 3 week for the plant to establish roots. A simple aeroponics bin will have the clones rooting in 5 days. then within another 5 days the roots should be strong enough to be planted. -

3. Thanks for the info. I have another question for ya.

I can set up a small hydro bubler for my clone but....

Do I set the clone's bottom in the water, or just above it so the bubling effect splashes it?

CAN YOU EXPLAIN A LITTLE (OR LINK) ON HOW TO USE A BUBLER AND PLACEMENT OF YOUR CLONES, AND WHAT TO DO/EXPET FROM THE ROOTS AS THEY GROW DOWN INTO THE WSTER, ETC.?

tHANKS!!!:D

4. HIGH All, here hope this helps.

5. Putting it under some 12/12 for a while is the best bet, then put it back under 18/6... ther is not gaurantee your cutting will take, which then becomes a waste of a branch that could have yielded you something on the plant even if it was a gram, and then you have to take another cutting to try again.

Like i mentioned numerous times, when i did seeds i didnt put under 18/6 right away i let them grow naturally outside under 12/12 or whatever the season provided topped it after 3rd set of leaves and 2-3 weeks later it showed its gender... then and only then it went under 18./6 as its a waste of time to grow a plant to maturity only to find out later its male, and taking a cutting will take longer, it first has to root and then grow under 12/12 to start showing anything and thats if that branch was even mature enough.

simply put the thing under 12/12 for a while and see then revert back to 18/6 when sex is known.

6. Yes but what about the STRESS on the plant from the changing back-n-forth of cycles?

I have read that this stress may cause it to hermi or yield low.

???

:smoking:

7. There is no stress involved in changing light cycles.

8. Negative- There is no stress from changing it. Changing the light during your flowering cycle can cause a female plant to produce male pollen. Taking too many clone from your mother for an extended amount of time will stress you moms. So change them out every year.

9. Oh yeah- Lemme post a pic of an easy aeroponics set up for clones for ya. Ill post it in a bit