Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How do cops test how high you are while driving?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by redhead420, Oct 6, 2010.

1. My friend was pulled over once, and they made him stick out his tongue and it was white because he had cotton mouth.

2. This ^ Its called the horizontal gaze nystagmus test. Basically, it has been shown that if you are drunk/high your eyes will "bounce" when they get to the far left or far right when a cop is telling you to follow his finger/pen. If you fail they may give you a field sobriety or they may take you in for a blood test to prove DUI. It depends on the state, some states give DUI for having any metabolite of cannabis in your system (mostly the South, Arizona, etc.). This means that all of us would probably be DUI right now in GA (for example). In WA the cop has to prove actual intoxication inhibiting your ability to operate a motor vehicle (just like a DUI for alcohol, except there is no defined limit at which you are presumed to be intoxicated like .08).

3. #23 hurb1, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
    Im almost certain there is no test for it but ive never been stopped. As far as i understand they do the finger toward and away from your eyes to see if there is a delay. In reality this really doesnt prove a damn thing. Its just kind of a "maybe hes high" kinda thing. Its used more as a way into fooling you into admitting. Dont admit and youll be fine im pretty sure. Once they do the hand test there gunna give you some authoritative bullshit like " your reflexes are alittle slow looks like youve been smokin somthing tonight" ... "Just keep it honest with me and we will work this out together now youve smoked a little bit huh?"

Dont fall for that shit !
    heres a quote to remember when you get stopped
    "Deny; drive home and get high!"

4. I think the actual term you're looking for is "officer". The normal term is "cop" but you typically wouldn't call them a cop to their face, or say "hello, cop." lol

5. No chance that's a legit test. Lot's of people can have 'white tongues' caused by other things.

Some of these things I'm reading are just ridiculous. Bringing someone in for a blood test? How would that prove you weren't high days ago? And the 'walking the line test'- don't see how this proves anything. I have awful coordination and there's times when I'm tired and can't walk in a straight line while sober (yes it's weird, don't know what my problem is).

Anyways.. I have a friend in the Czech Republic and he says his friends have been busted by some sort of thing that you have to lick. He says they use it quite regularly, and it definitely proves whether or not you've been smoking. Don't know the logic behind it so can't say I understand it, this is just something I've heard.

Let's just hope that the only thing they keep around are these stupid tests they make up on the spot that can clearly be fought in the event of needing to go to court.

6. If you can fail a sobriety test, then they won't even bother with the show, they'll just take you in. You shouldn't be on the road anyway.

If you're reasonably straight, then they're looking for tells: they smell something funny, you do or say something dumb, or you're looking or acting sketchy. If you're straight and there are no tells, then they'll likely let you go.

7. Yeah I usually go "good afternoon SHITHEAD-ficcer"

If you do it right they'll never suspect a thing.

8. Not a good idea no matter where you live. Cops are dicks and when you give them any kind of shit, they'll fuck you. It doesn't matter if it's for being stoned, but they'll find a way to give you a ticket for something, or fuck you some way or another. A lot of people say, "If you're not doing anything illegal they can't arrest you." But they can still make your life suck. I wouldn't try that haha.

9. they test your eyebrows !
    O_O
    :smoke::devious:

10. I think they can make you do the line test, but that's about it.

11. What the heck? How does that thing even work?

Let's say you smoked that day in the morning and then get pulled over later in the afternoon will it still show up? LOL

12. That's kind of what I figured. I have no intention of driving stoned, but I find it's a much finer line than drunk seems to be. Sometimes I think I still feel high by the next day, but barely. I was just wondering if there was some way to know if I was over the legal limit for someone with an mmj card.

13. My head light is out and I've been pulled over high a couple times because of that. But I've never even had the police officer notice.

14. I've heard that officers will have you get out of the car and tilt back your head with your eyes closed, then ask you to start counting to thirty in your head. I suppose they think that if you're really stoned you'll get distracted or stop counting and forget to tell them to stop but I've tested myself before when I was doted and i was only two seconds off so I would have to say there is no solid field test for determining whether or not someone is stoned. Probably because being high is awesome and doesn't make you an idiot like drinking does.

15. Yup. aparently they can ping you for smoking a day or two after your last bong. All i know is they work by testing the saliva.

Drink/drug driving isn't tolerated in my state, even though growing/smoking cannabis is.

It's probably the reason buses and trains are filled with so many helarious stoners :D

(on a side note the very first time these testers were used in SA, infront of a TV crew, they got a trucker for using meth, who was later cleared by blood test)

16. What seems to be the officer, Problem?

17. You know what sucks? I'm so nervous around cops, and i always have been. I know that lots of people are nervous around cops but I feel like I get too nervous. Every time I'm near a cop driving my heart pounds and all I focus on is the cop, even if I'm not baked. The one time I did get pulled over I'm surprised they didn't say shit because I was kinda shaky and I know I looked really nervous. Anyway, that's my little bit on why I don't like to drive high anymore. Which sucks because when I have to drive real far I like to be baked, and I drive better. :smoke:

18. it's illegal to posses weed. not under the influence.

19. I've heard that sometimes they make you count to 30

20. Well in Illinois it's illegal to be under the influence I believe. Zero tolerance. DUI, DWI, etc