How can I speed control my fan?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Bottled Cat, Jan 5, 2011.

1. What can I use to control the speed on my 6" Can Fan? It's way too loud at full speed, and the speed controller from HTG just makes a really loud buzzing sound. Is there something else I can use/do to make the speed of my fan go down? Or at least make my fan quieter? Thank you.

2. Specs:

• Materials: Steel, plastic
    • Finish: Powdercoated metal
    • Shade: Off-white
    • Coverage: Exchanges 440 cubic feet per minute
    • Grounded
    • Vented housing
    • Controllable speed
    • Reverse curve blade design
    • CFM: 440
    • Max watts: 138
    • Max amps: 1.15 at 115 Vac 60 HZ
    • Inlet outlet: 5.9 inches
    • Dimensions: 9.1 inches wide x 15.1 inches in diameter
    • Weight: 12 lbs

3. You can build a switch that switches the current flow through seporate resistors. Or you can just start putting in resistors and running it until you get the speed/sound level you want

4. Any help or information how I would go about doing either of those?

5. So would this product :: Variac, 120 Volt input, 0~130 Volt output, 300VA :: work without a hum you think? It's fairly cheap, so I hope it will work! HTG said I could return the fan controller, so all is well there.

6. That should work fine.

7. Cap VSC-DNE is a fan controller and thermostat in one!!!!...set your temps and it will throttle your fan too adjust the temp.....google them...they have other DNE's for fan controlling diff situations too......I use a VSC-DNE to monitor my exhaust. Cost me $70 on amazon...Most Fan Throttles are $30-40 anyway so get the thermostat option for $30 more aint bad.

GL

8. It's what I'm using and my temps are set at 70-74.

9. #12 Bottled Cat, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
    How would something like Suncourt VS100 Variable Speed Fan Controller - eBay (item 230569876941 end time Feb-02-11 13:07:45 PST) work? Would a product like that still cause the buzzing noise from the fan? I understand I would have to cut my fan cord up and wire it in, but I'm just trying to do this on a budget. The variacs look good, I just can't find one under around 80 dollars after shipping.

EDIT:

And would rigging up a ceiling fan dimmer/light dimmer to an outlet control my fan speed correctly? The buzz has to go and I need to control my fan speed properly. Thank you.

10. #13 cocowheats, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2011
    whatever you do...dont use a vsc on an ac fan/motor(unless you are POSITIVE everything is rated to work together).....that may be the current cause of the buzz?....only dc fans/motors can be throttled easily(typically)....so the ceiling fan dimmer would have to be rated for dc use as the fan motor would also have to be dc....otherwise you risk a fire!(at min, the buzz would still exist/be worse)...Universal AC/DC is NOT what you're looking for...You need to have a variable speed AC fan to use an AC VSC(variable speed controller)...otherwise you risk fire and get the buzz....Sure an electrician could chime in there as i am NOT one!...Something bout how AC motors can't be throttled without an expensive converter dealy or it's gotta have the variable speed motor.

Typically without a vsc or the cap vsc-dne we spoke of that regulates temp too...you'd use a thermostat to trigger the fan....but that's simply on/off to a desired temp...AC/DC isnt real important here as it's just on/off...It can be a prob if it's a HIGH cfm fan in a smaller space...would cause temp to drop FAST(cap dne once again solves that...)

It's a pain finding those ratings online sometimes, i know...just went through it looking for a cheap high cfm inline DC fan but most/all booster fans(what i wanted/needed) are AC....online ratings were non-existant forcing me to email sellers...not fun.

I've seen the CAP vsc's(multiple models as they are all for diff things) throttle many diff. fans with no buzz(all dc fans!)....Mine is SILENT with my activeair 6" 440cfm...Really the best choice man, CAP's VSC-DNE and stop worringy bout it....does the work itself....otherwise you'll need to eventually adjust your speed as temps change with seasons.

ActiveAir/hydrofarm's vsc didnt cause the hum in the past....like $40 though...+30=CAP VSC-DNE, lol
    GL

11. Can-Fan 6-inch 440 CFM High-output Exhaust Fan | Overstock.com that's my fan. I was really hoping the Variacs would do the job, and from all that I have been reading it seems like that's all I can really do. No one thinks that building my own dimmer switch box would work with that fan? I mean, I can spend the money on a Variac (wether it be the manual one, or the VSC CAP). Thanks for the help.

12. #15 IgnorantFool, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
    DON'T USE THIS!. AC motors do NOT respond well to attempts to throttle them by varying voltage. The speed of an AC motor is determined by the number of poles that the motor has and the frequency of the incoming current. In industrial applications, the speed of an AC motor is controlled by a VFD (variable frequency drive) which changes the frequency of the power going to the motor.

Believe it or not, the cheap dimmer switch would be a better choice, but it will more than likely be noisy as the fan will effectively be turning itself on/off 60 times per second.

Your best bet would be a proper speed controller designed for an AC fan. Which one? Sorry...can't be much help there, I'm an industrial electrician, I know where to get variable speed drives for 1000hp motors though...

Edit: Not sure, but the Ebay item (Suncor VS100) appears to be just a more elaborate version of the dimmer switch...

13. So now someone is saying don't use the variacs... I just don't know what to do! Is there anyone out there that has a fan similar to mine what do you use to speed control!!?

14. I can't find enough info on this to tell you if this is the way to go or not...

From what I could find, it does sound similar to a VFD, but I can't be sure. If it was up to me, I'd start making phone calls, but maybe someone will be more familiar with these particular products than I am.

You could try the light dimmer switch, they're cheap and readily available (Home Depot, etc), but not very high tech and I can't guarantee that it won't be noisy...

Sorry, I'm not much help am I...:(

15. #18 cocowheats, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2011
    Dosen't the light dimmer switch INCREASE the chance of electrical fire due to the incompatibility?...That's what I was always told but people do it all the time(usually you get a loud hum and a warm cable)....I just figure it's kinda hard to explain why your grow room burned the house down to the insurance company when it was a easily avoidable prob...just my $0.02...do as you will man!(many people will tell you they use an ac dimmer switch on a dc fan...doesn't make it right.)

Once again...not the cheapest choice...but prolly the most viable if its for an exhaust like I believe you said.....CAP's VSC-DNE...it's a VSC(variable speed controller) with a thermostat in it to triggger it...set your day temp/night temp...forget bout it...not trying to push you, but I do believe it's the answer....Your high cfm fan sounds to be a DC fan so they are 100% compatible(unless your fan specifically says to NOT throttle it?).

Hydrofarm's throttle works well for $30-40...Just 1 simple nob.

16. How about a speed control from an old oscillating fan? (cheap).

17. I do believe you run into the same AC/DC issue...Most oscillating fans are variable speed ac motors....Same exact issue as the ceilling fan control in the original question.