How can i continue to scrog with clones while they wait for the tent?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by u mad?, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Sorry if that title sounds confusing but let me explain:

I have 4x4x7 tent, 4 autopots with 50/50 perlite/vermiculite mix, a single 600w dual spectrum running off a digi ballast.

Now, im starting with female seeds, i will veg for about 3 months using scrog method, i plan to take some cuttings 1 week before i flip to 12/12 and place them in a separate clone mini tent and 18/6 under a 250cfl.

So while these 4 plants are in 12/12 flowering, ill have the clones establishing a root system and start to veg, assuming they take 3 weeks to establish a root system they will be able too beg for approximately 5 weeks before my 4 flowering plants will be ready for harvest.

NOW, this is my dilemma, how can i continue to scrog when these clones will have been growing rockwoll for 8 weeks, obviously id have to put them into pots, rockwoll and all, and just hand water until the tent is free.

Is there a way to do this so i can continue to scrog with my new clones?

Is there a better system i can use? maybe go SOG with the clones instead? eventually will have a second tent to make life a bit easier.

Please tell me if my post doesn't make sense, i will clarify.

Thanks!

2. The more i think about it the more i think i should jsut make things a whole lot easier and go with smaller autopots and just do a SOG, but i've only got six seeds to start with atm, maybe just do a scrog for the first grow, then take 12 or so cuttings and do a sog with some smaller pots second time round?

Im a bit lost, im used to having a whole room to do this is, and i've only had experience with coco, hand watering to runoff/waste.

Ps, i hope i have posted this in the right forum.

3. #3 Sativied, Dec 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    Does sound a little confusing and not entirely sure what you mean but would binding the plants to the pots (instead of a net) be a solution?

I went from 5-6 plants on 3x4' to to 9 plants on 4x4' and while 4 works, getting smaller and more pots (not necessarily a sog of 16 or more) would save you some veg and scrog time. 3 months of scrogging 4 plants on 4x4 is a lot in any case but again I'm not entirely getting the situation. Does sound like you are trying to do too much in one space and need a separate tent for rooting and vegging clones for the next run. Doesn't need to be big though, my germ/preveg/clone closet is only 30x20x24" and I got 6-12 plants in there.

4. Sorry, it does look all over the place my original post lol. 

Hmm are you referring to lst with string/zip ties?
    Yes that is whats going on, 4x4 tent with 4 plants under a scrog, i have a separate small tent (purpose made for clones). So im just wondering if i just veg the clones in there separate tent until the other tent is ready/free (when the original 4 plants have flowered and been harvested).

So just veg the clones for 8 weeks until the tent is free (the main 4x4 tent), then just put them in and continue a scrog with them? maybe veg em for another 4 weeks or so so i can bend em under the screen ect. The i will take a clippings off the clones and start the whole process all over again.

5. Ok getting it now, that's actually pretty much what I'm doing except for that I use clones of the clones (I veg weeks not months). Rather than starting the "whole process all over again" you could keep one or two mother plants from which you take the cuttings for several cycles. You could simply top and/or prune branches from the clones to prevent them from getting to large to scrog.

And yes, that is what I'm referring to. I switched from scrog to LST because I still wanted to be able to lift or even remove plants. There's no need to weave branches when scrogging, in other words bind them to the screen not below it. If you do that slowly with strings and tighten them every day or two you should have no major problem tieing the plants down to the scrog net, possibly readjust a bit, before they stop growing.

6. Thanks for your help Sativied.

The only issue i have is i have no where to keep a mother plant, i would only be taking clones from the clones ect, only using seed to get started then will be cloning. then clone from the clones ect, so realistically i'll always have clones vegging in the clone tent and clones in the big tent maybe veg for a month, ect.

Im half thinking just to LST 12 smaller plants and veg them for less time, i want fast turn around. 

Since the clones would have had time to veg in the clone tent under a 250w cfl for approx 8 weeks, i could flower them straight away in the big tent as soon as the previous plants have been harvested?

7. If clones are large enough to fill the flower space during the transtion to flowering (i.e. first couple of weeks 12/12 when it still grows) then yes that is doable. I would give them (clones and plants from seeds) a few days to get used to the flower setup but after 8 weeks you should have plenty of plant to work with. If it's a sativa-dominant stretching strain I'd be more worried about vegging too long than too short.

If you are not limited to a certain amount of plants by law or otherwise, then a sog with 12 plants is certainly more convenient, allowing you to fit more cycles in a year than scrogging 4 plants on the same space. Personally I find 9 plants to be ideal for a 4x4 space, that way I can top them and with a bit of LST keep the number of budsites acceptable. For example, with your 12 plants of 8 weeks you would likely end up with too many bud sites unless you do some pruning before switching the lit schedule.

8. I do what you are attempting, but it don't take months of veg. I grow 2 plants in flowering, and 2 in veggin'. Veggin' is done under LED's in a small 3x3x4.5 tent, all hydro. Flower tent is a 5x5x6.5 again all hydro. I just carry the lids from one tent to the other.
    When I make the flip to 12\\12 in my veg tent, I'm about 1 1\\2 weeks from the cut. I take 2 clones from the bottom limbs.
    This way I cut every 40 -- 60 days depending on the strain, and I switch strains every 2 or 3 cycles. I just pop a couple seeds a bit earlier than I normally would take a clone.

I usually come off with 8 -- 12 oz's, again strain dependent.
    5 plants is a felony, 4 is not where I'm at so I stay under the felony law. I only grow for us and a couple friend's I share with.

9. Ok,  so 9 plants, lst, top 'em, let them grow, take cuttings off them before flower, and while they are flowering let the cuttings vegs while they flower.

So assuming 8 week flower, i will have large clones ready to go straight into flower.

Maybe i could take 10 cuttings, flower 9 and keep 1 for the next batch of clones?

So i would have a crop every 2 months.

Am i understanding this right or am i missing something here, seems all so easy. assuming none of the clones have any trouble.

10. So you veg for only 2 weeks?

What is your complete turnaround time from cutting to harvest? this sounds like a promising setup. Though you do have a larger tent.

11. I notice people who do sog type grows use up to 36 post per square metre, And no lst ect, just simple straight forward grow. Do people not want to do this because of the repercussions if they were to get caught?

12. Indica's is around 40 days per cut cycle. Sativa is more closer to 60.
    You can see my setup in my sig, I haven't made a journal in a while but just left that one up, there are a couple good ideas I've picked up from different growers and incorporated into my perpetual grow.

13. That is why I don't. I'm not commercial anyway. I'm a stingy sumbitch and if you get caught with 5 plants, class D felony and I'd lose my right to carry or own guns.

Nice, thats what i'd like cut time wise. sweet ill check it out, thanks.
    Yep totally see why in your case, that would suck hard.

I might try as satieved suggested, and go with 9 clones, topped and a bit of lst and see how that works out for now, sounds pretty foolproof, cant wait for another tent!

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!

Similar for me, 5 is consider for personal use only and decriminalized, but also more plants lead to higher fines (I'm in the Netherlands). Otherwise I'd definitely go for a SoG and keep vegging to an minimum (of clones anyway). Some day...