how can i 100% be myself?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by fourtwozer0, Feb 25, 2011.

1. my apologies if this is the wrong section... didnt know where else to put lol

this is about to sound kinda douchey but just bein honest

I try very hard to be my own person and not give a fuck what people think, but i still sometimes do it..

It's really weird, like i have my own thoughts and all that , and stick to them pretty strongly.

But i just CARE too much about what people think about me. Whether they hate me, think im annoying, think im a loser or etc.

There's just a voice in my head that makes it bug the fuck out of me
    Ex:

"Why would that person hate me? can't they see i'm just tryin to be cool w/ everyone"
    stupid thoughts like that. . . i fuckin hate em

What are some tips that can help me go about living my life regaurdless of what people think??
    Sorry if this seems kinda vague but i dont know how else to describe it.

I wanna stop thinking about how many true friends i have and start thinking about what I KNOW I have.... ya know ...:confused:

2. I think a good thing to do might be to start meditating. You don't even need to that often (I almost never do, but today I did for the first time in two weeks and I came to the conclusion that I'm going to more often), and sometimes a quick 10 minute session is all it takes to help quiet your ego for a bit. That's where your doubt comes from.

3. I've always been interested in trying this.

Could you give me some ideas on how to go about doing it??

4. being your self may include concern for others...which you gauge by what they think of you and your actions...

if you've always worried about what others think then be happy, it means you are a good person inside...think of it, you could be a self centered arsehole willing to screw anyone over if it would benefit you in some way...(lawyers, politicians, silver spoon born wealthy people, criminals, tyrant...bad people)

5. You are not what you think you are. You are what you think other people think of you.

6. err so which 1 is it? I'd like to think im a good person....

7. Get in a quiet room with absolutely no distraction, no tv, no music, nothing. Close your eyes and breathe. Focus on your breath (this helps you quiet your mind and gets you relaxed). Then just keep your focus in the center of your head and observe each thought that comes through your mind. Don't attach yourself to any of those thoughts. Just observe them and let them flow in and out of your awareness. These thoughts are not you, they are your ego...you are the observer or the consciousness/awareness that is watching the ego. You can do this for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, even up to a hour or two.

When your done, you might wanna ask yourself if you learned anything or see if you have any particular feelings. If so, then I'd write it down because you usually get some really pure thoughts during and after meditation.

8. Pretty excited to do this....

How can I keep myself from attatching my head to 1 single thought?
    And keep thoughts coming and flowing through my mind?

9. It's not a bad thing that they are your ego, is it?

10. no not at all. It's impossible to get rid of your ego, it will always be there.

And there is no good and bad bro, its all only different experiences.

11. Don't stop the thoughts...let them flow through. Just don't attach to a thought and ponder it and let it grow in your head. You will observe a thought, but by keeping your focus on your breath or keeping centered in your mind you will only observe it in its original thought form and you won't allow it to grow into something more that could temporarily take over your mind.

12. Oh I know! I just wasn't sure if I had been going about my thoughts the right way, but yea it's impossible to get rid of it so thanks for the clarification.

13. STEP 1... DELETE FACEBOOK its this that has you with the mind of thinking what everyone else is ythinking about you.. dont you see :rolleyes:

STEP 2... DONT LISTEN TO ME OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER

14. #14 DntWorryBeHappy, Feb 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2011
    I don't know, being yourself 100% is pretty hard in this society nowadays.

Meditation is definitly a great thing to start tho
    Do what Budsmokn420 said or search for guided meditation on youtube =)

15. Sounds like you're just a bit too self-conscious. You gotta learn to LOVE yourself, man. You have no obligation to please everybody, though it's respectable of you that you do care about others. Just don't let it run your life.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has really helped me with this. I doubt anyone actually even hates you or is thinking those negative things about you, you have to learn NOT to try to guess what everyone is thinking [about you].

I definitely agree on the meditation. I've felt it really helps me with numerous things. It can't hurt, anyway.

16. You are you and you will always be you. All your experiences make you, you. Doesn't even matter how you act because that will also be you.

17. ^^^ you will always be missed

18. If someone hates you, it's because they choose to hate you. the hate is their problem, not yours. as long as you strive to be someone you can love, then they're acting upon their own lack of judgment, or judgmental error.

A friend of mine ran into an acquaintance at a restaurant. they made small talk and eventually my name was brought up. "Papageorgio? That guy is going nowhere in life..." My friend told me this and i was very upset. I try very hard to "go somewhere" in life, and to hear that just made me sick. I'll admit, i was angry. but after thinking it over, the best thing i can do is just keep on my path, eventually i'll prove that person wrong. in the meantime, i'll just let them hate.

bottom line: haters gonna hate

19. i will defeat you kakkarot!!!

Attached Files:

20. yeayah!!! haha, people may think i'm weird for the couple of DBZ posters i STILL have up in my room, but fuck em, they don't know how kick ass that shit is. their loss...