How can a WORD offend somebody?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by KB_124, Mar 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, Been trying to keep up with the City the last few days (been busy..)

Lol... This turned into a FUCK thread :smoke:

Being offended by an offensive word is sort of a self defining statement, isn\'t it? If it\'s offensive, you can be offended by it and vice-versa. Am I reading this incorrectly or are you writing it incorrectly?
    [/QUOTE]

Lol... I agree completely.. As I look back, I think somebody stoned wrote that what I wrote :eek: (stoned right now too...)

Yeah, I\'ve thought this before.. And I agree.. We NEED to have these kind of words..

P.S. FUCK :hello:

2. As i\'ve stated before...the word Fuck never gave anyone a complex as effeciently as telling some they are worthless, stupid, ugly..etc etc....over and over again.

3. I\'ve they toast south park someones gonna get hurt

4. Words aren\'t inherently offensive it is the context in which they are used.

Saying fuck when you hammer your finger and a nail is fine, saying fuck off to someone in the street less so. Constant profanity in a public area where there may be sensitive people I also find offensive. You know the people I mean, the group of high school kids sitting inthe corner of every take away restaurant swearing and cursing.

And what about words like nigger, spic, yid and cracker etc? They too are just words and yet they are surely offensive... is this inherent in the word or in the context?

I just don\'t know. I ruined my first statement though!! lol

5. 75% of cuss words, ect. don\'t piss me off, it\'s just what context they\'re used in.

If they\'re directed to me, or someone just happens to hit that 25%, then I most definitely am going to be pissed off...depending on the word and how they say it.

Most of the time cuss words just sound funny to begin with.

There\'s also a lot worse things on TV than cuss words and brief nudity, but you don\'t see any of that getting bashed on by the FCC...

6. Words or language are used to convey a message.
    Asking questions would be extremely difficult without words!!
    We also use words to express our feelings, things like,I\'m fine,I\'m pissed and a whole range of emotions.
    This is why words have the power to be more than just a collection of letters,the context,the way something is said or even the the tone of voice can change the meaning of what is being said.
    \"Get the fuck out of here\" said light heartedly to a friend after a tall story would be interpreted differently if said with a frown and raised voice to a stranger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.