Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

How bad is the smell ?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by aznskunk, Nov 16, 2011.

1. hey guys i live in the city but i want to grow maybe around 50 plants in my basement. My question is HOw bad will it smell outside my house? Will my neighbors notice the smell coming from my house?

2. I have never grown, however I had a friend who grew around 4 or 5 plants and his entire basement wreaked. I would say if your going to set up a 50 plant grow room look into smell proofing the room and keep it well ventilated.

3. i wish i lived in wisconsin with a farm :) i bet you have alot of land mrjane

4. Why in the hell are you wanting to grow 50 plants? Are you opening a dispensary or something?

5. [quote name='"CinnaSquares"']Why in the hell are you wanting to grow 50 plants? Are you opening a dispensary or something?[/quote]

My guess is he has yet to been educated in the knowledge of cultivation but soon my friend

6. Honestly, I've never really gotten into the growing aspect yet. I wish to, but I still live with my parents and it would just be really risky. However, I do know a couple of people who have some really nice grow set ups around mid spring to the end of summer. And also, there's no way your going to need 50 plants. I would say growing anywhere from 3-5 plants would be ideal for someone who is a chronic smoker.

Let me know how it goes!

7. i have a big family. and i'm a heavy smoker . The economy is bad right now and its expensive habit

8. :laughing::D:laughing::D:laughing:

9. I don't think you clearly understand how difficult a grow that size is going to be to get away with, manage, etc. 50 plants is going to yield you 10+ pounds of Marijuana haha, that's just ridiculous. The question "will it smell" just makes me laugh to myself.

10. The question of if 50 plants will smell, just answer this one.

If you shit in a tupperware container, does it smell like shit?

The undertaking of a 50 plant grow would require very good ventilation, filtration, etc to remain undetected.

11. hahaha really. This dude has noo ideaaaaaaaaaaaaa hahahahahaha

12. you wouldnt even be able to smoke that amount before 1/3 of it goes bad hahahahha

13. 50 plants is gonna require at least one carbon filter.

I grow 2 plants in a cabinet in my basement and it stinks up my entire house. Yours will have your entire street smelling.

14. wow guys. obviously i know i will smell. My question is how bad will it smell outside the housewith a very good ventilation system.

15. [quote name='"aznskunk"']wow guys. obviously i know i will smell. My question is how bad will it smell outside the housewith a very good ventilation system.[/quote]

Hope u got some money. U gonna need it.

16. Yeah, I grew three plants outside and everytime I opened by door, I was was overwhelmed by the smell.

17. If you have the money to grow 50 plants then you have the money to get rid of the smell. I know a guy who grows about half that many plants. And smell isn't a problem at all. Like you can only smell it in his house when the fans are on. And you can't smell it outside at all.

18. Since it appears this is going to be your first grow, I suggest start small at first and learn what you are doing before you go and invest all of the money necessary to complete a successful 50 plant grow. And you will also learn that 50 is a little excessive for personal and family use. But at least you will know how to take care of the plants before you have 50 plants die on your first grow.

19. Carbon Filter Ventilation

20. #20 MisterNatural, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
    A grow that size will stink up the whole neighborhood when it's in flower. There's no way to hide it without extensive carbon filtration. Not only that, your house will stink so bad it will be unbearable and everything inside (like clothes, carpet, drapes, etc.) will absorb the smell too. I'm not talking down to you but have you researched this much? The amount of electricity you'll need to run lights, blowers for the carbon scrubbers, and other miscellaneous stuff will be phenomenal for a grow that size. You definitely run the risk of raising eyebrows at the electric company. You'll also have to vent your blowers outside somehow and provide fresh air for your plants. Then you have to worry about providing PH adjusted water (you really need an R/O system for 50 plants). If you're doing a soil grow, or even hydro, you'll be moving a lot of material and equipment into the house in front of nosy neighbors.

Good luck man, that's quite an undertaking. Depending on where you are, you're definitely doing time if you get caught with something like that.

EDIT - Well after writing all that, I see I missed your post about how bad will it smell outside if you have a great ventilation system. The answer is it won't smell at all if you do it right but you're going to need a high tech, high volume filtration and ventilation system. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend. It won't be cheap that's for sure. You're going to have a lot plant carcasses to dispose of :)