How are these lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Durbs, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Three of each, for a total of 6 x 42w? If so that's definitely good for 1-2 plants.

Just remember that with CFLs their light intensity is lower, so you don't get a lot of benefit beyond the parts of the plant that are very close to the bulb. Therefore, the mixed spectrum doesn't work quite as well as with more intense mixed-spectrum lighting -- instead of giving all the plant mixed spectrum, with CFLs you are giving this part of the plant veg spectrum and this other part flower spectrum, so with the setup you are contemplating be sure to rotate the plants daily so that the same spot is not always getting the same kind of light.

2. I see. Thanks!

What I meant though was if I could use one set of 3, for vegetation, and then the other for flowering for only 1 plant.
    Or should I get 1 more of each, to make it 4 of each?

3. I see. Well 3x42w is enough light for 1 plant, but it depends on how the fixture is designed as to whether you can use it well for growing 1 plant. Basically, since CFLs have low light intensity those bulbs need to be very close to the plant, 2-3 inches, to do any good. So if the sockets are spread out you won't cover a plant very well.

4. I think I'd rather go for a HPS/MH setup and add 1 or 2 more plants.
    Would a 250w HPS/MH setup with a cooltube reflector be sufficient for 1-3 plants in a 2"x2"x3" cab?

5. Yes. You might even want to get a 400w and put 4 plants in that footprint. Tight but doable.

6. Odor is a very important factor for me though, I'm guessing 4 plants would cause a lot of smell. I would be planning to grow AK 48 and White Widow, or Super Lemon Haze and White widow, do you know if the smell of 2 of each (2xAK48/2xWhite Widow/2xSuper Lemon Haze) + (2xAK48/2xWhite Widow/2xSuper Lemon Haze) can be managed easily?
    How should I sort it out?

Thank you very much for your help. :)

7. carbon filters and ona gel work great for odor control. if you feel that you still dont have it under control you could always go with an ozone generator..