Houston Norml- Stop talking and take action

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by MrGreenThumbWeb, Nov 10, 2010.

1. #1 MrGreenThumbWeb, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
    This new thread came from another thread on here for legalization in Texas. I wrote a couple times about getting a good turnout at the Houston Norml Chapters from now on or even when you can make it. But after 400+ views and only 13 responses and in another thread where a girl says shes from Texas looking for other tokers, it grows to 13+ page bs.

People never seizes to amaze me. We all talk about how we "wish" and "hope" for this and that, but a vast majority of people sit on their ass and do nothing at all. Why complain when you are not willing to fight for what you believe in. It could be something as small as adding your name on an email to congress/senate supporting Marijuana for medical or legalization. Anything and everything we do to support our movement is vital. Think about it we as the new generation, me being 25, have a chance to change and write history in our lifetime. 44% of americans support the change in marijuana laws, aand 50% of smokers are sitting out not lifting a finger. I for one am excited for all the media attention and support Prop. 19 had and will continue to grow.

Sorry for the rant but get serious if you want a change, if not stop whining. :metal:

www.houstonnorml.org

We meet on the 3rd Thursday of each month at the West Gray Cafe at 415 West Gray at 7:30pm so come on out and let us know what you can do to help change marijuana laws in Texas..

ps- I have not attended this meeting before but will be there this month and for future visits.

-Brando

2. Keeping this posted, since people are lurking.

3. fixed thanks!

4. Sorry man, I'd love to go but I work M-F and Houston is just under six hours away, haha. There ain't a chapter nearby either :(

5. No problem bro, I understand. Work and family is #1. Which is a big reason why I havent been able to make it lately. Maybe start a chapter in your neck of the woods. I am sure NORML would appreciate the help and enthusiasm.

6. I'm trying to get at least a dozen people together to write out letters of support for HB 1534 after thanksgiving. Honestly, that's the most effective way that we can reach our legislators.

Don't bother submitting formulaic emails or photocopied letters because those just go straight into the garbage. Write the letter yourself, and sign it in ink.

At least write a letter, three short paragraphs saying what you want and why. That's all we need to make them realize that most Texans support medical marijuana (even if they don't realize it yet).

7. Like I said above, I agree hand written is better. But at the bare minimum we should be sending emails. Any and all letters/emails/postcards whatever is helping the cause. To tell people not to waste their time with pre-wrote emails because they go in the trash is the wrong attitude to have. We need positive support no matter where it comes from or how it gets there. But good job on the written letters. Lmk what I can help with! :D

8. Unless you write an exceptional hand written letter the odds are that the target of the letter/email will never read it,they have congressional aids for that (see Lowenski) and though the senator/rep/president will never see the actual letter,it is marked as support
    or opposition on a talley sheet for each category of the subject you have addressed.
    It is the magnitude of the for/opposed that concerns the legislators.
    That is why I send 3 emails every week,plus any preformed letters from several advocate sites to my rep and both Senators.(which we need to lose both of)
    I try to send the links to either the latest atrocities in Mexico or the latest cancer treatment/blocking studies or medical efficacy shown by marijuana.
    You fellow Texans do realize that both our senators receive large donations from the pharm ind and the banking ind and they will never vote for any reform on marijuana laws.

9. Move to cali and get your card. I got mine in 5 minutes.

10. I dont think thats the right attitude to have... anywho, i hear what your saying OP.

11. Was it necessary to make a dumb comment? Yeah lets just all worry about 1 state and not the rest, your logic and ignorance is what hurts us that are trying to change prohibition.

Lets keep this on track without the childish bs. :smoke:

12. Damn, I didnt even know we had a chapter

13. Lol, now you do! Support! :hello:

14. I would really like to see texas organizations get off their asses. Let's make something happen. Let's get our faces out there. It needs to happen and if we don't do it, no one will.