Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Hot Showers - Nausea when NOT High

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by bongzallday, Sep 24, 2013.

1. #1 bongzallday, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
    So heres the deal i smoke a gram everyday 3 times a day... split morning afternoon and night. Im a really big late night binge eater. I know MJ has a pretty long half life but the problem is after the initial high goes away 4-5 hours later... I lose that warm feeling in my stomach region and get severe nausea with a cold burning acid pain. It seems like the only way that can temporary make me feel better is taking a hot shower... Too bad about 30 minutes after the hot shower im back with a painful stomach ache. I lose all my appetite... and all i fiend for is another bowl just to make the pain go away. Could the MJ be causing this? It seems like whats giving me relief are also magnifying my symptoms. How can I make this feeling go away?! This is too painful! I really want to quit weed aswell but theres no way I can give it up at the moment since its the only thing that can make me feel better... Btw I also take Pepcid along with Protonix everyday which does not really help. Can anyone relate to these experiences or have tips on how to relieve this horrible nausea?

2. Go a day without smoking and see if it happens, if you dont get the pain again then its probably something to do with smoking, but you could always go to a doc

3. #3 Guest, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
    Maybe it is an underlying problem not cannabis related? How long has this been persiting, if longer than a week, I'd suggest visiting a doctor. Maybe you don't like smoke, have you tried edibles or vaporizing? How is your diet? Binge eating is not healthy. Have you tried laying down flat, maybe put a warm pack or hot bottle on your stomach? 

4. If you smoke on a regular basis and usually eat right after, especially bing eating, then you teach your body that cannabis equals food so every time you smoke your body begins pumping stomach acid in preparation of your meal. I believe that certain strains do this regardless but your body is already expecting food when you toke so this is just exacerbating the issue. I would ensure that you have something to coat your stomach when you smoke so the acid doesn't do permanent damage to re lining of your stomach and or esophagus and if it persist and you want to determine if it really is the Cannabis then quit smoking for at least a week. As a side note your symptoms could also be caused by food allergies. I myself have gluten sensitivity and suffer from similar symptoms.

5. #5 bongzallday, Sep 24, 2013
    Thanks man. I do believe that the smoke has caused acid to be burning my stomach lining. Ive been smoking non stop for about 2 years and this nausea has been there for a the last six months. The problem is that I MUST wake and bake without a bite or food or else the pain will take over me and feel unbearable. Im going through this horrible cycle because im positive the weed is causing these problems but I can't give it up for even a day because of the severe nausea. I really do want to quit aswell but so far these problems are the only thing preventing me from quitting. Im wondering if Tums or some other type of Antacid would help?

6. You say that you are a "big late night binge eater".

I don't know if I got your question wrong, but if I eat a ton of shit late at night I feel almost sick the day after. No appetite at all.
    It usually stops in the evening.

It was a easy fix for me. I just stopped eating all that junk and my body has never complained no matter how much weed I smoke.

7. The warmth, giving you relief, makes me think it could be cannabinoid hyperemesis. If so, you'll probably need to reduce your intake.

8. Switching strains could definitely help if you chose one that didn't Induce the munchies and as Kushbeard suggested watch the junk food, it alone can exacerbate the symptoms. Try eating a smaller healthy dinner and drink a glass of milk in the morning or make yourself eat after smoking. As for the hypermesis theory I've only heard of which is a complication during pregnancy caused by dehydration so I am unable to comment on that.

9. Cannabinoid Hyperemesis often causes vomiting, though not always. Some people just get cramps, soothed with heat.

10. #10 bongzallday, Sep 24, 2013
    I get heavy munchies late at night and i can't help myself so i eat then get to bed right after, i know its real bad for me i just can't help it.. I wake up in the morning 6 hours later feeling a sharp burning pain in under my abdomen. Usually my Pepcid helps it for 10 minutes before the sharp pain comes back. I've looked into the Cannabis hyperemesis stuff but there seems to be no sources on how to help it besides quitting weed and hot showers aswell as why only a small percentage of people experience this type of sickness. 

11. #11 lazytoker, Sep 24, 2013
    I'm the same way for the last 12-15 years. It sucks. When I wake up in the morning I feel sick as hell until I smoke. That acidic stomach feeling... I know exactly what you mean. It takes about a week to go away if you quit smoking. Well for me at least.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #12 bongzallday, Sep 24, 2013
    Wow.. one week sounds like a long time.. cause i can't stand that feeling for more than a day. At times it makes me wannna drive myself straight to the hospital for some IV meds.. It keeps me running back to weed just because it can relieve the pain. Quitting weed has been really hard for me at this point because of this pain. I just need something to help the pain as i wait for the symptoms to go away.

13. ...anyone else smell that stench of a propaganda thread ?

14. No.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I say simply stop binge eating before bed.  Your stomach and other digestive functions work overtime to compensate for the influx of food, so it makes sense for your stomach to hurt after having to digest so much food.  Your body is meant to run off of stored energy and not spend/store energy digesting food while you sleep.

You get high, eat a shit load of food that your body doesn't actually need, and then immediately go to sleep.  Of course your stomach will hurt!  The pain comes when the stomach has had acid in it all day to digest, as well as the soreness from stretching of the stomach and from moving the food into the intestines. The food we eat, how much of it, and when are all the biggest factors in how we feel and are completely in our control.

Don't blame it on the weed.  Humans have co-evolved with this shit for a long time, I think our bodies can handle it.  Eat healthy and somehow, in some magical way, we feel better overall.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Personally i would consult a doctor and inform them of this pain. The sharp burning your describing could be many things such as an ulcer or hernia and should be checked out just in case. The cannabis could be relieving symptoms caused by a serious illness or Injury.

17. [quote name="20AfterFour" post="18732227" timestamp="1380051042"]<strong class='bbc'>I say simply stop binge eating before bed. </strong> Your stomach and other digestive functions work overtime to compensate for the influx of food, so it makes sense for your stomach to hurt after having to digest so much food. Your body is meant to run off of stored energy and not spend/store energy digesting food while you sleep.

You get high, eat a shit load of food that your body doesn't actually need, and then immediately go to sleep. Of course your stomach will hurt! The pain comes when the stomach has had acid in it all day to digest, as well as the soreness from stretching of the stomach and from moving the food into the intestines. The food we eat, how much of it, and when are all the biggest factors in how we feel and are<strong class='bbc'> completely </strong>in our control.

I agree with this. Eloquently spoken if I may say so.

If you aren't joking you should probably stop smoking weed.
    The cause to your nausea is clearly coming from your late night eating and it is not the weed's fault.

Your body is trying to tell you that you are doing something wrong to it and you can't even connect the dots.