Horrible Illadelph Experience

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by Giant Steps, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Hi guys

I want to share my experience purchasing a premium Illadelph pipe as a warning to other prospective owners. Maybe someone here can point me in the right direction

Earlier this year I found myself intrigued by the "frozen coil" illadelph line. I located an allegedly legitimate vendor in Providence through the illadelph website and picked it up for about $900

After only a few weeks of use, the first incident occured. I went to remove the insertable blue "stem" (where the bowl goes) from the lip of the bong and a piece of the lip effortlessly broke off solid. It's worth nothing that the particular piece that broke had never been cooled. For those unfamiliar with the frozen coil series, the bong has a detachable glycerin filled coil for the top half that can be cooled for up to 20 minutes to produce awesome smooth hits

The bong still worked at this point, until a couple weeks later I was lightly unscrewing the cooled top segment after an hour of use or so and a chunk of glass off the bottom once again effortlessly broke off solid, sticking in the base of the bong. At this point the bong still worked but I wasn't gonna risk the integrity of this shoddy product with any more cold temperatures. Lo and behold, I went to remove the Blue stem piece for cleaning a week or two later, and a giant piece of the base broke right off solid around the stem area, rendering the bong useless

I believe I was either sold a fake, or this is the most ill conceived bong of all time. I've tried two email addresses for illadelph in the months since this catastrophe and have never received a reply. Guess money doesnt buy quality after all?

Jeff

2. 1 question though- explain again in detail EXACTLY how it broke?

like- did you wrench it sideways and it broke the joint?

or did you bash them against each other abit as you were taking apart?

3. The real question is, why would you buy a $900 bong?

4. [quote name='"ddoublevision"']The real question is, why would you buy a $900 bong?[/quote]

Cause some are worth it to certain people. That's like the AK bongs that sell over 3k

5. lol no, the real question is why would he spend $900 on a glycerine coil?

6. [quote name='"InstaBlaze"']

lol no, the real question is why would he spend $900 on a glycerine coil?[/quote]

That's the better question lol

7. I can explain the first two breakages more clearly with some photos. The third around the side of the base, really I just don't remember. I know I was trying to pull the blue stem out and applied some pressure. I was never unreasonably physical with this thing and was scared shitless of breaking it

I'm going to take a couple pictures and put them up here tomorrow with the before shot. I think it's apparent from the before and after shots that I didn't just drop this thing or something. The breakages were clean and progressive

8. I know right? must have been high or something

9. Glycerin coil is still intact luckily. Only the bottom of it is broken. It still works fine but I won't touch it because I'm afraid of glass shards. The base of the bong is useless though, big hole in the side where the slot for the stem used to be

10. Wish I had $900....

11. You still never answered.

HOW did you break it the first time? (after you break the joint- its obviously not going to take much to break off more . ..)

did you bang the joint against each other putting the coil on?

of did you wrench it sideways? (instead of pulling up)
    how did you break it?

12. First world problems ftw

13. It's illadelph, you got what you paid for.

14. I was going to wait to show the pics to explain since my giant bong vocab is limiting me here

I pulled straight up on the slide and a small solid glass piece of the lip broke off clean. This was after I froze it, smoked for a while, and then went to replace the slide with my ashcatcher accessory. This may have happened two seperate times. I wish I had a pic of how clean the breaks were here but the base broke around this part many weeks later. Basically, freezing the thing compromised the integrity so far that just a little pressure resulted in the thing breaking in spots

The second much more concerning break was the top glycerin piece that screws into the base. I went to unscrew it and a solid piece of the bottom stayed there no problem as I pulled up. It was a small piece the first time and a much larger piece that got stuck in the base the 2nd time. Some time after this the base broke around the stem entry which is gone now. I'll have pics tmrw.

15. If you ACTUALLY pulled STRAIGHT out when removing the slide- and the coil . . .. then fuck man i hope illy takes care of that for you- BS.

But i'd REALLY lean more towards maybe you wrenched the glass when it was almost out? or smashed on the lip when putting the coil in?

Not questioning your story or anything- its just . . . EVEN a china bong or a fake shouldn't be THAT sensitive . .

16. Pics dude. $900 pipe no camera.

17. I definitely pulled straight. It would be hard not to. The thing was just stuck so I gave it a tug and that's all it took. As far as the glycerin top, I don't know if its the freezing or similar to the slide, and yeah I further broke the base later on, but fuck, that equiptment was fragile and yeah I do feel like illadelph should hook me up or at least have responded to me

18. well- was it stuck and you tugged? and it broke?

or you pulled straight and for some-reason a part broke off?

because those are two different situations.

19. Regardless of whatever happened, it's not reversible, so contemplating different situations doesn't even matter, the dude just wants to speak with someone about it for some replacing.

Who did you email at illadelph? Contact address from their website? Sounds like some crummy customer service to me.

20. Oh i agree- im just trying to think . . . if HE broke it then i don't know what he expects. . .

BUT- if he was handling it as gentle as he says- i would THINK that it SHOULD be handled by customer service? (if not i wouldn't buy from illy)