Horizontal Root Growth

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ef87, Jul 4, 2010.

1. does a plant need vertical space to grow roots/get big? will the roots grow horizontally? will a plant suffer if its planted in more of a tub than a pot?

2. hey, yes your pots do need to be fairly deep, the roots will spread out vertically abit, but MJ plants do like to send their roots down quite deep, it would be best using more of a pot rather than a tub

3. #3 WhyAskWhy101, Jul 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
    It does need to be more then acouple inches deep, but MJ plant roots DO actually grow outward more then downward. The main root will shoot downwards but then it branches outwards. So as long as your tub is deep enough to let the main root do its thing you should be good.

Anytime you transplant you will see that the roots are the thickest around the sides of the root ball and not as thick at the bottom. Do some reading and check out as many pics as you can see on the web of root balls and you will see what i mean.

I beleive Joe(the mod) has a big ass plant in a rubber maid tub, check his out too.

4. #4 Freakbro1, Jul 4, 2010
    Actually, sorry to butt in, but its the other way around - believe it or not.

Weed is in a class of plants that likes to "spread" its roots out, rather than
    penetrate too deep into the soil. I believe the class is (C2).

Weed is a very smart and adaptable plant.
    She keeps her roots reasonably close to the surface, cuz that is where
    most of the nutes are usually concentrated.

It no reason for us all to go and change our containers tho, I still will always
    use those 5 gals.

But if weed were asked by u as to what container she would prefer,
    she would say "Tub please".

Freak
    :smoke:

5. I dont think you could butt in here(open forum), especially when your answer is correctamundoe... :hello:

6. #6 Freakbro1, Jul 4, 2010

lol. For the past cupple a dayz, Ive been very short and snappy with people and I find myself apologizing alot. SORRY, nuff said lol.

Freak
    :smoke:

7. well i'm glad to hear this. its sort of unexpected honestly. but knowing this will help me out in my grow. thanks.