Hoping for Input. 1st Grow

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by bramon76, Jan 13, 2013.

1. #1 bramon76, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2013
    Alright guys, I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Grow Room Setup or here. But obviously chose here :smoking:

I was hoping for some input on my proposed grow room. Is there anything here that needs to be changed, I'm working on a budget but don't mind spending a little more in one area vs. another. For now it will just be for my 2/3 plants (possibly with another run of 2-4 clones afterwards, we'll see if I get bit by the garden bug)

Now to the good stuff :yay:
    -I will be using the LST or SCRoG methods as well as Noobwannb's Ghetto Wicking System
    -Not going with LED! The more I thought, there's no need to remake the wheel (at least not for a first grow, we'll see if I continue after this)
    -400w HID, MH and HPS bulbs, reflector and ballast, pretty excited for the seeds to get here.
    -I will be using Keep It Simple Compost Tea's Organic Soil Mix (from their website it contains: "Alaska Peat Moss, KIS Fungal Compost, KIS Microbe Catalyst, Pumice/Perlite blend, Gaia Green Canadian Glacial Rock Dust, Calphos Soft Rock Phosphate, Pacific Pearl Oyster Shell Powder, Sulfate of Potash (Sul Po Mag, K Mag), Alfalfa Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Crustacean Meal, Kelp Meal, Ahimsa Organics Neem Cake/Karanja Cake, Tera Vita SP-85 Humic Acid, Fish Meal, Feather Meal, Steamed Bone Meal, Natural Calcite, Mycorrhizae*, and Benefical Microbes.
    *Not to be considered as a full mycorrhizal application, a separate inoculation of the proper mycorrhizae is recommended, depending on your plant.")
    -I will also be using smart pots (might as well, don't have any usable pots at my residence)
    -Not planning on using any tea's (maybe, still debating myself on this)
    -Will probably be using a liquid silicon/cone spray can't remember which it is. I'll do some searching for it before using either.

Now, I think* (complete noob, highly uneducated just doin my best) that all of that is along the right track. Here's where I'm getting a bit uncertain, my grow room stays at an even 50 degrees (must get a hygrometer) is it okay for my grow area to drop down to that at nights? If not, what is the lowest it can safely* (without putting too much stress on my babies)
    be at? I can get it up to 60-65 pretty easily. Btw I'm not going to be germinating in there, that will be done at 70+ in my room (small closet)

As of now it will be one LA Woman plant and AMS (had never heard of it, looked pretty dank though lol) with the hopes of getting myself a Durban Poison seed very soon :devious:

For now this is what I can think of, as I remember I will either update in the form of edits or new posts in thread.

Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. :eek:

Anyways, hi guys! I've enjoyed my lurk time and hope to become a contributor at some point :wave:

2. Hello Bramon76,

I don't know about the led thing. I think you would be better off using low watt HPS. But who am I to say, I've never used them. Using the right strain, 3.5' sounds like enough using SOG. For seed plants you will need to tie down or supercrop. Your soil mix looks good and if you apply compost tea you should do even better. Your room temperature is to low at 65. For good growth 75 to 80 would be a lot better. When starting seedlings or clones, warm temps are good. Use a heating mat for starting and try to keep your babies warm. Once plants are established they will be able to handle cold nights, but need warm days. Good luck!

3. Okay cool. I'm assuming a 400w HID would be enough?

As far as young plants needing warmth - the seeds will be germinated in my room so they'll be nice and warm.
    Good thing I found a pretty inexpensive HID light kit, now I'll be able to get the girls a better heater :)

4. Yes, a four hundred watt would be good.

If your able to, use constant ventilation for controlling temperature and humidity, and also for Co2. This is the easiest, most affordable and productive way that I have used.

Your getting closer to having something to smoke!

5. I use 5 1000 watt HPS for my flower, and 3 T5's in my veg. I've never used LED's, though I know some people who have/do. My only complaint with them is that they aren't strong enough, imo. They do seem to last a while, but I personally wouldn't buy one unless heat is an issue.

I got my T5's (4' long by 2' wide, 8 bulbs apiece) for under $200, with bulbs, from my local grow store lol. They had a sale, so keep an eye out, maybe you can get em cheaper online. You can just swap bulbs out and flower with them as well, with no problems.

If height is an issue, I'd pick up one or two 400w HPS for flower, should keep the temp higher in there as well since you're running a tad chilly. The HID lighting will produce much denser nuggets, compared to finishing with T5's.

Hopefully I helped, and good luck. :D

6. I've got a couple fans set up, one for ventilation and an oscilating fan for air movement :)

Just picked up a full HID (MH and HPS) kit (ballast and reflector included)
    As I thought about it, I decided to go with HID for exactly the reason you mentioned: it's an easy way for me to raise my temps up without adding heaters. Although I still will for when lights out just to keep it at 70 during the night.

7. I haven't noticed mine slow down much unless it drops below 65 F at night, though I do keep it around 68-70 during lights off.

If your room is sealed somewhat decently, (My exhaust fans just turn off during the night, or at most 1 in the flower) you'll keep the heat from the lights in the room.

Something to think about is what they sit on, ie concrete, wood, tile, etc. I used to put rugs down then lay panda paper over them in the grow room, to keep the pots off the cold concrete during winter.

8. Lol it's definitely not air sealed well but no light will get in. A little info - it's in the crawl space under my house, so there's plenty of air plus almost 100% of the time they'll get a good lake breeze.

They will be in probably a litter box with lava rocks amd perlite, I'm debating getting another heating pad to put underneath it so the water will be slightly warm. We'll see...

9. Hello Bramon76,

A thermostat attached to your exaust fan would help you control the temperature also.

10. copy this into google:

grow 8 oz of bud for under $100

First option should say PDF.Free book there.

Best read for new growers IMO,and it's free.

Never mind what lights he uses.Which is amazing.

He shows you a day by day grow.

Enjoy...

11. While the day by day pictures are good for a new grower to see what's going on, I do not advise listening to this fella regarding his soil or advice to adjust pH.

The Miracle Grow soil used here comes with a time release fertilizer. If your soil does not, mix in a time release fertilizer.

You could follow this fellas grow but please do not follow the advice regarding time release fertilizer, checking or attempting to adjust soil pH or water pH.

J

12. -I will be using Keep It Simple Compost Tea's Organic Soil Mix (from their website it contains: "Alaska Peat Moss, KIS Fungal Compost, KIS Microbe Catalyst, Pumice/Perlite blend, Gaia Green Canadian Glacial Rock Dust, Calphos Soft Rock Phosphate, Pacific Pearl Oyster Shell Powder, Sulfate of Potash (Sul Po Mag, K Mag), Alfalfa Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Crustacean Meal, Kelp Meal, Ahimsa Organics Neem Cake/Karanja Cake, Tera Vita SP-85 Humic Acid, Fish Meal, Feather Meal, Steamed Bone Meal, Natural Calcite, Mycorrhizae*, and Benefical Microbes.

Excellent choice! The KIS products are top notch - absolutely perfect for a new grower.

Good luck. That mix will serve you well.

J

13. Good to know. I wasn't even planning on touching ph lol. I'll save that for future grows. (possibly)

That is exactly what I wanted to hear lol. I'm hoping it will!

14. If you are able to get twice what you need for a single grow, the day you take a crop down you can start using the second batch and recycle/re-amend the first batch and while your second crop is growing the first recycled batch can be sitting and nutrient cycling. You could reuse this soil this way for years and years

J

15. Jerry, y u no write a book?

[​IMG]

16. You, LD, Chunk and Microbeman should collaborate and make a nice read.

I'd buy it. :D

17. Hello bramon76,

I agree that recycling your soil is the most economical as well as effective way to go. It is also a good idea to apply compost tea to your soil between runs to build your microbe base. You can also add more peat, coco, or other substrate in addition to adding more amendments to your soil for the following run.

Also, Mychorrhizae colonization will provide your plants with the correct PH, as well as bringing nutrients back to the plants, and helping to protect from pathogens and disease.

Hope this helps.