Honesty..?

Discussion in 'General' started by VeritableHypocrisy, Aug 8, 2014.

1. I want to know people's opinions on honesty. People's stories.. Anything!

Honesty is a nearly dead sentiment in this day and age. To be honest means to make sacrifices that a dishonest person would not make, be it telling the truth about a product's condition and quality before a sale, or being forthcoming about having relations. 

Today I've lost over $100 worth of sales that I was wanting to get very badly. I had many fishing reels and parts for sale and a caller called wanting the one reel I knew least about, said that if it works he'll buy it all. I ended up taking it apart and verifying that there were problems with the reel. I called him back and explained the situation, telling him that I do rod and reel repair as a hobby, but this will take a professional to fix. He decided against it.

Well, back to the drawing board. Trying to feel like I'm helping pay bills and occasionally being able to afford a little... Something, for myself.

Anyway! Your turns. <3

2. Honesty is always best, even if it doesn't seem like it is at the time...In the long-run it is vastly better than living in the dark shadows of a web of lies you cannot possibly manage. :cool:

3. I'm all about honesty. 10/10 would never lie about anything

4. I tell the truth 95% of the time.

I have a really bad habit of exaggerating little things that happened in my life..

Like.. Let's say me and my roommate are smoking on a Sunday morning.. I go to get the mail. And I see a dog almost get run over.. 50/50 chance I'm gunna tell him I saw a dog get run over.

I've gotten A LOT better at reigning in my verbal impulses in the last couple years.. But I still find myself thinking of what would seem like a more organic answer to the story I'm telling than what actually happened.

5. I usually make shit up to people when they ask me questions that are none of their business.

6. I've lost same sales at work because I refuse to be grimy and tell people they need work on their car when they don't.

I have learned to word things "better" though, like "it's not an immediate issuse but if you plan on keeping the car running as long as possible it may be a good idea."

Wording can be very important, but if asked directly I'll be honest with you.

7. I just don't want to be a shitty person, there are so many around me, I just don't want to be like them. So, yeah, I go the honest route, it suits me, even if it isn't the most profitable.

8. That is how I've always felt. Like, what is the point of tricking somebody into paying their hard earned money for something that they don't really need or want, or what about lying to your spouse. That's the sort of thing I mean. I can understand not wanting outsiders to know things they shouldn't. It's good to have a certain level of privacy in your life. I just generally change the subject if I can, instead. At the end of the day I'd just rather help people out, though. Wish I could afford to help more, though. That's one thing that profit would be good for. I don't sell enough vegetables and chicken eggs to make much of anything, though.

so how did he lie? it wasnt in working order like he wanted.

i myself rarely lie since growing up. i really cant remember the last time i did, but im not saying i dont at all. for a long time now even with my family ive been absolutely honest in every way, even if its caused problems by doing so. ive never felt the need to lie to my significant other of the last 2.5 years.....i think being with her and not lying to her caused me to totally do away with it, i dont see the point anymore. these days id rather be honest and piss somebody off with the truth they dont want to hear than lie about my views or actions. in some ways its really made me more confident talking to people, im no longer afraid to speak my mind regardless of what that is.

guess a good woman can make you a better person.

10. Honesty is the best policy. Unless a lie is truly needed.

"I'm to drunk, to taste this chicken" -Talladega nights

11. I'm honest around 98% of the time. The only time I lie is when the truth does not involve someone directly but the answer would devastate them.
    I used to exaggerate lots but I took a vow a bit over 3 years ago to not lie for a month straight. Little white lies and exaggerations counted as lying.
    I failed at the first attempt because my mom asked me a question that I didn't want her to know the answer to. Second attempt I got It and It improved my character, stopped my exaggerations, and changed my views on other people lying. I highly recommend everyone tries it at least once.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. I be honest to those I trust, which could literally be counted on one hand. I don't lie about my life, who I am or anything, but if someone I don't know asks something personal that isn't their business, I might do a white-lie. It's also hard to be honest when all people do is lie to you. Maybe I should stop surrounding myself with utter wankers? Might be a good idea.

13. #13 PeterParker, Aug 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2014

I'll occasionally & purposely say something ridicules about myself for fuel for any who wish to "berate" me. Mature adults with a brain don't bite at these since with a little forethought it's easy to see through it, whether it be as a joke or a tactic. "kids" and inexperienced young adults have little to no forethought especially in the context of a social setting.

Here's my honesty story, and I can be just as brutally honest as anyone.  In Canada workplace drug testing is very rare. It's done according to very clear rules.

While working at a long term care facility I had been charged for (not yet convicted of) "cultivation of a controlled substance"....weed, caught with two plants in my car.

Not long after that charge and before conviction I am "promoted" to a new role in the company. Because it is a long term care facility a criminal background check must be done. Yikes right? I'm in the middle of court case proceedings and at work I'm being promoted and must have a background check done.

Well rather then wait and see what might happen, I went to the highest person in operations and told this 55 year old conservative administrator at a long term care facility that's full of old men and ladies from very a conservative time  that the background check may come back with a conviction for  "cultivation of a controlled substance" marijuana.I was about 26/27 at the time, today I see about a dozen better solutions to that situation, but hey I was young, felt I was in a "pinch", and had yet to watch Suits to see how to go all "Harvey Specter" on a situation lol

Wow the look on her face lol, but it worked out as I suspected. She respected how difficult it would be to come to her first, especially without knowing what the outcome of the case would be, and as I thought, felt that strength out weighed & negated the biggest issue with such a conviction (dis-honesty, no respect for rules/authority, this was for an accounting job, not looking after the ill residents. in canada the connotation for pot use is pot head, not drug addict).

So I got the job, the record came back clean, the charges were stayed contingent on a donation to a charity of my choice, I chose my employer ahahaha.

Another story is being attracted to a girl who I was far more attractive than, funner, well let's just say the classic "I was out of her league" as most would see it. But there was something about her, the sum of the small attractions I had to her amounted to a crush. We had a summer "fling" and yea I saw some strange looks from people when out. My good friend was almost disgusted with me. But with all that I didn't care, I was going to be honest and follow what I wanted.

With work & intimate relationships* I am honest to a fault, With work honesty I feel it's more a testament to my overall quality of work, I couldn't careless about my fuck ups 'n failures and am happy 'n quick to point them out.

*astrix for the honest in relationships comment: of course with so much emotion and the risk of PTSD lol I do feel I must play judge jury and executioner and decide how best to be honest. And sometimes that may mean being dis-honest for a time. hmmm I suppose that's true for all situations where emotions and being honest clash,

14. I'm so honest, I'll probably hurt your feelings at some point. I'm honest to a default except about how I feel but when I rap it's easy to tell.

15. You can say what you mean without being mean about what you say. People will be much more receptive if they know that you care for them and that the honesty is coming from a good place.

Not every thought that you have deserves to be said. Will it make the situation better? If not, you probably don't need to say it.