Homemade wine!

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by GrungeJunkie, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Hello all, i was exploring the internet a good while back when I came across a recipe regarding homemade wine. The ingredients were simple enough - grape juice concentrate, sugar, water, and simple baker's yeast- so I decided to try making a bit for myself. Although I wasn't expecting much (it didn't appear to be fermenting at all) it actually was probably between 10 and 12 percent alcohol. Also, despite the baker's yeast, the taste was actually not all bad (a little dry, if anything).

Definitely not for the wine connoissier, but if you enjoy a bit of wine with your bud and are on a tight budget, its the way to go.

The original recipe is at the bottom of the post, but here's the simple version for you lazy folks!

So, you'll need a gallon container of some kind (milk jugs work great) and a balloon along with a funnel made from the top of a 20oz bottle if you don't already have a functioning funnel.

The ingredients are 3 cans of grape juice concentrate, 1/2 cup of sugar, and a packet of baker's yeast (I use fleischmann's active dry).

Begin by dumping the concentrate into your milk jug, and mixing in 2 cups of water per can of concentrate. Then, add 1/2 cup of sugar to the mix, put the lid on, and shake it well!

After you've finished shaking, you can hydrate the yeast. Open a single packet of yeast and dump it into 1/4 cup of hot water. Stir it around by lightly and smoothly shaking the dish (yeast sticks to silverware). After the water has turned a consistent brown, add in a teaspoon of sugar and let the yeast sit for a few minutes. If active, the yeast will visibly start to foam within a few minutes.

Once you have a nice, consistent layer of foam (1/2 inch to 1 inch), dump the yeast into your container and shake it good and hard.

Once you've finished shaking it again, take the lid off and keep it somewhere you'll remember. Now take that balloon, and jab a few holes in it with a pushpin/safety pin/what have you. (this creates an airlock that lets gas out, but nothing back in) You'll need 4-10 holes.

Now stuff the balloon down into you're milk jug, and stretch the opening of the balloon over the opening of the milk jug. The balloon should be dangling down into the jug.

Now wait two weeks and bam! Fresh, drinkable, homemade wine. :hello:

Original recipe.

2. #2 smokintoke, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    cant talk about making your own alcohol here sorry bud:wave:

though i know what im doing tomorrow... thank you:cool: