Homemade organic fish/seawed emulsion

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Corto Malteze, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Here's a cool link on organic teas. The guy explains well how the nutrients work for the plant. This tea is for vegetative growth (N). He uses unsulphured molasses and epsom salts! He must be an Mj grower or know how to grow really good tomatoes. Haha.
    He gives good tips on odor control too for this disgusting mixture. He says store bought fish emulsion has hardly any bacteria or fungi and that you need to add seaweed for a complete diet. I don't know about the mess and how long this would take. Anyway, I'll have to get both of those ingredients for next year. He also uses alfalfa which is organic and odorless.

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/organic/2002080041031662.html

This is some organic nutrient contents written by Marijuanamat from another site.

Organic Nutrient Chart

Manures

Rabbit manure N= 2.4 P= 1.4 K= 0.6
    comments- Most concentrated of animal manures in fresh form.

Cow manure (dairy) N= 0.6 P= 0.2 K= 0.5
    comments- Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted.

Steer manure N= 0.7 P= 0.3 K= 0.4
    comments- Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted if fresh.

Chicken manure N= 1.1 P= 0.8 K= 0.5
    comments- Fast acting, breaks down quickest of all manures. Use carefully, may burn. Also, stinks like hell - composting definitely recommended.

Horse manure N= 0.7 P= 0.3 K= 0.6
    comments- Medium breakdown time.

Duck manure N= 0.6 P= 1.4 K= 0.5

Sheep manure N= 0.7 P= 0.3 K= 0.9

Desert Bat Guano N= 8 P= 4 K= 1
    comments- Also contains trace elements. Fast-acting, mix in soil or as tea (1 C guano to 5 gal. water).

Cave Bat Guano N= 3 P= 10 K= 1

Fossilized Seabird Guano N= 1 P= 10 K= 1

Organic Meals

Blood Meal N= 11 P= 0 K= 0
    comments- Highest N of all organic sources, very fast acting.

Bone Meal (steamed) N= 1 P= 11 K= 0

Cottonseed Meal N= 6 P= 2.5 K= 1.5
    comments- If farming organically, check the source. May be heavily treated with pesticides.

Fish Scrap N= 5 P= 3 K= 3
    comments- Use in compost or work in soil several months before using. Usually slightly alkaline.

Fish Emulsion N= 4 P= 1 K= 1
    comments- Also adds 5% sulfur. Good N source for seedlings, won't burn.

Kelp Meal N= 1 P= 0.5 K= 2.5
    comments- Provides 60 trace elements, plus growth-promoting hormones and enzymes.

Soybean Meal N= 7 P= 0.5 K= 2.5

Minerals

Greensand N= 0 P= 1.5 K= 7
    comments- Mined from old ocean deposits; used as soil conditioner; it holds water and is high in iron, magnesium, and silica - 32 trace minerals in all.

Eggshells N= 1.2 P= 0.4 K= 0.1
    comments- Contais calcium plus trace minerals. Dry first, then grind to powder.

Limestone (dolomitic) N= 0 P= 0 K= 0
    comments- Raises pH, 51% calcium and 40% magnesium.

Limestone (calcitic) N= 0 P= 0 K= 0
    comments- Raises pH, 65-80% calcium, 3-15% magnesium.

Crustacean Shells N= 4.6 P= 3.52 K= 0
    comments- Contain large amounts of lime. Should be ground as finely as possible for best results.

Wood Ashes N= 0 P= 1.5 K= 7
    comments- Very fast acting and highly alkaline (usually used to raise pH). Contains many micronutrients.

Crushed Granite N= 0 P= 0 K= 5
    comments- Contains 67% silicas and 19 trace minerals.

Rock Phosphate N= 0 P= 3 K= 0
    comments- Contains 11 trace minerals.

Organic Material

Feathers N= 15 P= 0 K= 0
    comments- Chop or shred finely for best results.

Hair N= 14 P= 0 K= 0
    comments- Good soil conditioner, oils break down slowly. Chop or shred finely for best results.

2. hair exactly human hair or what lol

3. nice list of the crude analysis of various organic nutes.

4. Yeah Oldschool, you were right again about the high K in greensand see? When are your next Winter garden pictures due?
    This chart seems accurate and the comments help out (looks like he used this, not like me haha nube). Today I was a lazy bum and din't go scouting. I need to find these spots pretty soon.

5. Soluble fish and kelp:

Soluble Seaweed Powder
    Norwegian seaweed contains a complex matrix of natural plant growth stimulants, including gibberellins, auxins, betraines and cytokinins. These are the factors that influence cell elongation, differentiation, and cell division. Norwegian seaweed is also rich in naturally chelated minerals and trace elements, carbohydrates, vitamins, and amino acids. Norwegian seaweed also contains primary and secondary plant nutrients. Foliar applications of Norwegian seaweed stimulate photosynthesis, resulting in a more efficient production of sugars and starches. Specific carbohydrates in seaweed cause an increase in beneficial microbial activity, which results in a lessening of pathogenic soil fungi due to competition and physical exclusion. Regular applications to the foliage of plants can induce a systemic resistance against a range of fungi, bacteria, and viruses. Norwegian seaweed applications also improve a plants ability to withstand environmental stresses and may reduce the attack and flare-ups of insects, and disease on plants by stimulating the plant to produce phytoalexins and peroxidase.​
    Norwegian seaweed can help plants be slightly more resistant to cold and light frost by increasing the mineral content of intra-cellular plant fluids. Tests on potatoes, using just 3 foliar applications of Norwegian seaweed resulted in an increased average tuber weight of 24.2%. 5 foliar applications on seedless grapes resulted in a 31% increase in crop yield and a 21.9% increased average berry weight.

Soluble Fish Powder (12-1-1)
    Soluble Fish Powder is superior to liquid fish emulsions. It is produced in a low temperature process which enzymatically digests fish protein preserving vital factors. Liquid fish is made in a high temperature process that can break down the amino acids, vitamins and enzymes. Liquid fish emulsions also require powerful stabilizers and preservatives to avoid spoilage. Soluble Fish Powder is completely dry and requires no additives. It is also most economical as you pay for product only and not water! Soluble Fish Powder is less expensive to ship, easier to handle, and more stable in storage. The soluble fish takes a little more work to thoroughly mix, compared with the seaweed powder. I use very warm water and mix once, and then I let it sit for 20 minutes or so, and stir a second time. ​
    This is a perfect partner to our Soluble Seaweed Powder. The Soluble Fish Powder provides more nitrogen and macronutrients and the Soluble Seaweed Powder provides the essential trace minerals, growth promoting hormones, and has up to 6% potassium. The two products can be mixed with each other for a combo-spray, or applied separately. Both are also compatible with regular soluble fertilizers such as Peter's or Miracle Grow. 1 pound of Soluble Fish Powder is equal to 2 gallons of liquid fish emulsion concentrate. ​

Biomin Calcium
    Calcium doesn't translocate through a plant as readily as some nutrients. When things are really rolling, the plant may have difficulty moving sufficient calcium from the roots to the growing tips and fruit. Foliar spraying calcium can be very effective. Biomin Calcium is similar to Calcium Metasolate, but is higher in available calcium. Biomin is a highly effective foliar fertilizer, especially when used during the active growth stage.

These fish and seaweed powders seem good when applied together.

Besides fish emulsion, what's an easy way to give N? I prefer not to make and transport smelly teas. I just want to make it the easiest and cleanest you know. A soluble organic powder would be good. Can't buy cannabis ferts brands (not shipped here). Maybe I can get what the above company offers. I think they're in Europe and it's not just for weed! Maybe you know of a N source I can get at the local garden center? Thanks. For P and K, I'm good with bat guano and molasses.

6. Nope. It's an American company and won't ship here. I'll search more tomorrow.

7. Plant-tone from Espoma. I don't know if they are an international distributor.

8. Ok Oldskool. I'll look into that. Thanks again.

9. Hoof and horn is a good one to dig in.

10. Ok Cantharis. I actually can get those. I'll have to look on the boxes to see if they easily are souble in water (on the spot)? I found a good Us product (I have to email them to know if they Send to "southern Europe" hehe). It's a liquid organic concentrate of fish and kelp: the perfect combination for veg. What do you think?

http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sub=25

11. #11 Corto Malteze, Dec 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2008
    hoof and horn:

http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/top-dressing.html

It's a little slower than the fish but it is less agressive than blood meal. I don't know if it lowers the pH. I think the fish doesn't. It's a nice "top dressing".

And while I'm at it, on fish emulsion. Fish emulsion is more soluble than fish meal. Here again they say to COMBINE it with seaweed or kelp. 1 TBS per gallon won't be a problem to carry for the watering. Some US friends can mail it here if I can't. No problem! Might as well do it right and give them the best.

http://www.the-organic-gardener.com/fish-emulsion.html#fishmeal

12. #12 Dr Lowtie, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
    Used Coffee grounds also contain a good source of N if acidity is not an issue, i started highly alkaline clay soil but using alot of compost and coffee grounds and lawn clippings, and horse manure, ther garden is better, sorry tangent,:) Mexican or any insect eating bat gauno is also a good source N, you mentioned bat guano for P and K but not N;). Also alfalfa meal and horse manure and worm castings. thats all i know, not sure if you mentioned them all:)

13. Ok thanks man.

14. What sort of wildlife is there in southern europe? fish blood and bone would certainly attract attention to the critters.

I had a hard time keeping my dog out of the garden when we used blood n bone meals.

15. Yeah Oldskool, that part kind of worries me but it seems lots of people use it. There are wild boars (they dig up roots I know for a fact), foxes, racoons, rabbits etc. No bears or dear. Maybe I'll replace them with something else. I can' t afford to be fk-ed because of some animals thinking there's a free meal under my white widows! Since OP used it in the US where there's even more wildlife than here, I thought it was risk free. Maybe I'll use another slow release N and P fert if there is one. Thanks for the warning.:D

16. That is one main reason I recommend Osmokote for guerrilla grows. It lasts a long time and since it is relatively odor free does not attract animals

17. Ok. Is it organic?

18. as well as cantharis' russian comfrey tea, i think stinging nettle tea iss worthwile looking at. just google it. it would be great for an organic tea if you add it too some fish, and maybe some manure.

19. also, its pretty common. atleast i know it is around here in New England

20. Yeah Greenmeany, t's popular here too (nettle tea). But I'm worried with mixing in blood and bone meal as it attracts animals. The places I'm planning on have lots of wild boars, foxes, racoons, rabbits (no bears or dear -dear don't dig up anyway I think). Do you guys think it would be ok to put blood and bone meal? Especially if holes are prepped in January, I think odours would be gone by June. I bought the 2 meals so it's too bad not to use them! Osmocote isn't organic. Maybe I can just mix in powdered nettles and something elso for the P that's not smelly. Then seaweed (K) /fish (N) for veg mainly, Bat guano (P) and molasses (P and K) for flowering. Do I have the green light for blood and bone meal? Any organic replacements for using in the soil mix. Thanks much boys and girls.